Your Dream Next Decade Headliners

ITK19889

With 2020 fast approaching and nexts years headliners pretty much out the bag, & on a personal note very disappointing for the big 50th....!!! Just my opinion don’t shot it’s still the greatest place on earth !! Had me thinking what would be your realistic  dream headliners in the years to come, just couple of rules they can’t of headlined from 2010 - 2019 and keeping with the new layout must include a female headliner or lead singer in the band, for me it’ll be these three....

Lady Gaga

Red Hot Chilli Peppers ( If they can be forgiven )

Daft Punk ( They are due out of hibernation soon )

😊

If you look at the debut headliners over the past 10 years there are some themes I tried to look at to see if I can see a repeating trend. 

2010 - Gorillaz, Stevie Wonder - Gorillaz is a hard one to judge as it was clearly a favour to help out the Eavis family, would they have headlined otherwise? (Not sure).  Stevie is an obvious mega star. 

2011 - Beyonce, U2 - both huge acts

2013 - Rolling Stones, Mumford's - Stones huge, Mumford's only just broke through in 2010 as their debut came out at the back end of 2009. 

2014 - Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kasabian - AF and Kasabian both had decent sized albums in the late 00s, reasonable sized following, equivalent would be The National and Foals headlining in 2014, which wouldn't be considered a big year. Metallica was a surprise, the festival would need to look left field to repeat this again. 

2015 - Florence, Kanye - Florence was probably someone we could have guessed at the start of the decade, but again only broke through at the back end of the 00s. Kanye was probably a safe assumption of dipping back into the US Rap market after Jay-Z. 

2016 - Adele - She only had her breakthrough in the early 2010s. 

2017 - Foos, Sheeran - Foos were an easy guess as a circuit headliner who had never played. Sheeran had only had his breakthrough in the early 2010s. 

2019 - Stormzy - He only broke through in the mid 2010s. 

So if I was assuming a repeat of this decade I guess we could expect at least one or more huge artist - Fleetwood Mac spring to mind. 

Probably one or more new acts to Glasto from the circuit of rotating headliners from other festivals, I'd say Green Day and RHCP would be a shoo in for this, albeit they aren't quite as tour heavy as the Foos.

A few huge female acts, I'd see Billie Eilish doing this along with Ariana in the next few years, although I'm firmly in camp Lorde when she comes back to smash it with her next album.

A couple of niche acts in a quiet year, maybe Foals will get a look in. There will probably be one or more acts that we didn't expect.

Then we probably won't know the acts headlining in the latter part of the decade, or they're currently not pulling up trees. 

This also doesn't assume increasing look to more female headliners, or under represented genres which will all play out over the next decade. 

Edited by reflekting

I'd love Nick Cave to be given it at some point, I won't begrudge them only taking risks on younger prospects though. 

Gorillaz deserve another shot, seems like an easy win to me.

I imaaaaaaaaagine a world where Ariana Grande headlines.

If Slipknot get another number 1 album over the next 10 years they should get a go at headlining. I'd argue I'd rather they played lower down at the moment but if headlining is what they require then 2 number 1 albums back to back should be enough to justify it.

Also give Foals a go ya cowards.

I’d imagine there be a fair few from this list if they carry on the way there going :-

Foals

Royal Blood

Lewis Capaldi

Catfish Bottlemen ?

Ariana Grande 

Billi Eilish

Lizzo ?

Gerry Cinnamon 

Courteeners ? 👀😂

Then the it’s about time list :-

Lady Gaga

Rhianna