Site visit

rockandnoll

2 hours ago, pilton digger said:

if you go to the Pilton Village website, there are footpath maps there, almost certainly what was sent. (http://www.piltonvillage.co.uk/village/footpaths.html)

This may seen a strange question but are the footpaths  that obvious. I don't wish to stray onto any ones private land through my own ignorance. I might venture forth at Easter. 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:34 PM, marathonsteve said:

This may seen a strange question but are the footpaths  that obvious. I don't wish to stray onto any ones private land through my own ignorance. I might venture forth at Easter. 

On 1/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, pilton digger said:

if you go to the Pilton Village website, there are footpath maps there, almost certainly what was sent. (http://www.piltonvillage.co.uk/village/footpaths.html)

The local map shows only 1 public right of way (in green) across the western fringes of the site. All the other tracks (uncoloured) would be considered as private and therefore out of bounds in walking circles. Does anyone know if there is a local dispensation to walk on them and the old railway line.

This is the email i received from Glastonbury festival .

Hi William,

Thank you for your enquiry. The Eavis family and their neighbours give their land over for everyone to enjoy during the Festival each year, however Worthy Farm and the neighbouring farms which make up the Festival site are private property.

You may be able to walk on the public footpaths (See attached) (which run to the north of Worthy Farm) but please be aware that those footpaths do not extend beyond the Festival offices onto the main part of the Festival site.

For the avoidance of doubt, the stone tracks across the Festival site are not public rights of way. There is no public access to the Pyramid arena, KidzField, market areas or Green Fields.

For your own safety, please do not attempt to climb on any structures, and respect that these are working farms, with animals grazing. We ask that you do not bring dogs, and that you take extra care if walking near the site as there are ongoing site works and plant equipment in use.

For parking, you may be able to park in nearby villages such as Pilton. There are parking spaces outside of Pilton Post Office.

Lastly, we ask that if you do go for a walk on the public footpaths, please refrain from sharing pictures of the Farm or Festival site on social media, as doing so may lead others to believe the site is open to the public, which it is not.

Best Wishes,

Glastonbury Festival

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 1:24 PM, Earth_pig said:

Hi William,

Thank you for your enquiry. The Eavis family and their neighbours give their land over for everyone to enjoy during the Festival each year, however Worthy Farm and the neighbouring farms which make up the Festival site are private property.

You may be able to walk on the public footpaths (See attached) (which run to the north of Worthy Farm) but please be aware that those footpaths do not extend beyond the Festival offices onto the main part of the Festival site.

For the avoidance of doubt, the stone tracks across the Festival site are not public rights of way. There is no public access to the Pyramid arena, KidzField, market areas or Green Fields.

For your own safety, please do not attempt to climb on any structures, and respect that these are working farms, with animals grazing. We ask that you do not bring dogs, and that you take extra care if walking near the site as there are ongoing site works and plant equipment in use.

For parking, you may be able to park in nearby villages such as Pilton. There are parking spaces outside of Pilton Post Office.

Lastly, we ask that if you do go for a walk on the public footpaths, please refrain from sharing pictures of the Farm or Festival site on social media, as doing so may lead others to believe the site is open to the public, which it is not.

Best Wishes,

Glastonbury Festival

It sounds like they've firmed up their official response, as walking around the site outside of festival dates appears to be growing in popularity!

On 1/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, Earth_pig said:

Hi William,

Best Wishes,

Glastonbury Festival

Sort of sounds like an official "you can't visit the site" with a hidden undertone of "here's where to park but please don't tell anyone"  Hoping to visit myself in Feb for a snoop around so hopefully won't get any trouble!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve walked around the site with no issues. It was clear I was just having a stroll & not up to any nuisance, no one approached me despite a few people driving around in agricultural machinery (Land Rovers). I didn’t see any cows so probably why they weren’t too bothered.

Best to email them first I reckon.

The site feels & looks so much smaller when the festival isn’t there.

edit: I parked right next to the stone pyramid bollard with Worthy Farm on it, made sure I wasn’t obstructing anything as there was a little spot with a gate opposite I pulled into but thought otherwise.

Edited by Bisque

Seems to be a change in approach. We've been on the farm several times outside the festival and never encountered any issues. Plenty of locals walking dogs (mostly on Muddy Lane) and a few festival goers checking the place out. If they are getting a bit strict, might be worth checking the OS map to see exactly where the public footpaths are, and making sure you don't go on to any land with grazing animals. I would be 90% sure that the path from Tithe Barn all the way down to the top of Hitchin HIll is a public right of way, beyond that I would not be sure, but there is a clear footpath and we've seen notices at the fence at the end of that path for temporary suspension of the public right of way (during the pre, fest and post time) suggesting you could continue outside the temporary suspension.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, TheNewUnion said:

Seems to be a change in approach. We've been on the farm several times outside the festival and never encountered any issues. Plenty of locals walking dogs (mostly on Muddy Lane) and a few festival goers checking the place out. If they are getting a bit strict, might be worth checking the OS map to see exactly where the public footpaths are, and making sure you don't go on to any land with grazing animals. I would be 90% sure that the path from Tithe Barn all the way down to the top of Hitchin HIll is a public right of way, beyond that I would not be sure, but there is a clear footpath and we've seen notices at the fence at the end of that path for temporary suspension of the public right of way (during the pre, fest and post time) suggesting you could continue outside the temporary suspension.

This is helpful, i am there on sunday and trying to plot a walking route without trespassing as the email seemed to be warning against walking around the festival main areas.

Edit: I cannot find Hitchin Hill on google maps

Edited by Earth_pig

13 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

I am wondering with these restrictions it is worth a site visit as i cannot seem to find a decent walk that doesn't go against what the email they sent states, I am staying in Glastonbury town so would have to get a taxi to Pilton as there is no Sunday bus by the looks of it

depending on day / times it might be worth just asking in the festival office if its open ....without mentioning the email ... 

On 1/25/2020 at 4:16 PM, Bisque said:

I’ve walked around the site with no issues. It was clear I was just having a stroll & not up to any nuisance, no one approached me despite a few people driving around in agricultural machinery (Land Rovers). I didn’t see any cows so probably why they weren’t too bothered.

Best to email them first I reckon.

The site feels & looks so much smaller when the festival isn’t there.

edit: I parked right next to the stone pyramid bollard with Worthy Farm on it, made sure I wasn’t obstructing anything as there was a little spot with a gate opposite I pulled into but thought otherwise.

I was there in September and it does feel so much smaller. getting across it in no time what so ever 

3 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I was there in September and it does feel so much smaller. getting across it in no time what so ever 

It took me by surprise that there are still a lot of signs in permanent use & long drops although not in use. Even with these, & a Geography teacher, it took a short time to get my bearings away from the Pyramid but the old train line helps.