Ones to Watch in 2020

anditmakesmesmile

Loads of these doing the rounds right now and it’s always hard to know how genuine they are as opposed to how much they’re the result of a forceful label’s PR agency. It’s much better to hear the tips from efestival forumites.
Here are mine - I gave myself the self-imposed rule that they can’t have released an album yet. EPs are fine. 
So, my top nine is

Everyone You Know
The Howl and the Hum
Jnr Williams
Meggie Brown
Odd Morris
Easy Life
Fur
Nia Wyn
HAAi

BEA69481-2630-41BA-B6EC-0D45584F6EC8.jpeg

Edited by anditmakesmesmile
Duplicated image

Concur with the lot of ya. Squid, BC,NR and Wooze especially, all slayed it live at various points throughout the year, really looking forward to hearing a lot of what they played on record.

Really hoping Sinead O Brien puts out an album though, I find the stuff she's already put out hypnotic 

Youtube has also decided I'm a beabadoobee (which I always fuck up and pronounce beadaboobee, and then laugh at as I'm a child) fan which I can get on board with. Glad she made the BBC 2020 list, sure we'll see a lot of her this year.

23 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Concur with the lot of ya. Squid, BC,NR and Wooze especially, all slayed it live at various points throughout the year, really looking forward to hearing a lot of what they played on record.

Really hoping Sinead O Brien puts out an album though, I find the stuff she's already put out hypnotic 

Youtube has also decided I'm a beabadoobee (which I always fuck up and pronounce beadaboobee, and then laugh at as I'm a child) fan which I can get on board with. Glad she made the BBC 2020 list, sure we'll see a lot of her this year.

@deebeedoobee ?? Isn’t she the e fest jogging, weather and ground condition expert?

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Been about a bit now but as far as I'm aware they haven't released an album yet, Sports Team. 

Pretty sure they have not released their album yet. I agree I think it should be a good year for them and expect them to pop up at a number of festivals once we start to see more lineups. Good to see they are on the Mad Cool lineup.

1 hour ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I’m really looking forward to the second Creeper album. Loved the first and didn’t think we’d get a second. 

I had heard a few tracks by them and I picked up a copy of the first album on ebay and surprised just how good it was.

I know its old fashioned but I can't help myself, I still like physical copies of music CD's and Vinyl.

The debut album hopefuls

• Squid
  • BC,NR
  • Treeboy and Arc
  • Sinead O'Brien
  • A.Swayze and The Ghosts
  • Do Nothing
  • Talk Show

The sequels

• Shame
  • Wolf Alice
  • Theophilus London (coming in Jan)
  • Goat Girl
  • Kali Uchis
  • The Orielles (try and be a bit more interesting guys)

The new kids on the block (doubt you'll get an album but we can hope)

• PVA
  • Lazarus Kane
  • DAMEFRISØR
  • Katy J Pearson
  • Lynks Afrikka
  • Drug Store Romeos

47 minutes ago, priest17 said:

She's been living a double life as a Filipino/British, Pavement loving, guitarist singer songwriter. Some people seem to have all the time eh?

Met the gentleman that represents her for Dirty Hit. I made sure I got his card and fb to see what The 1975 plans are for Glastonbury. He said she is playing.

2 bands with debuts coming out in Q1.... both getting good reputations and so not quite so 'never heard of them' as most suggested so far :

Before @crazyfool1gets the opportunity... The album has a ton of decent tunes and i feel they will get a lot of half decent festival slots this summer, leading to a step up in live venues (Cambridge Junction vs Portland Arms)

and also these chaps, who will start to feel the love outside of Manchester :

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Met the gentleman that represents her for Dirty Hit. I made sure I got his card and fb to see what The 1975 plans are for Glastonbury. He said she is playing.

That's nice. I guess she'll get a BBC Introducing slot and depending on the next few months maybe an early Park slot or something. She's working with one of The Vaccines so she'll have some contacts on top of the BBC support, dunno if she's broken into Radio 1 yet 

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

She's been living a double life as a Filipino/British, Pavement loving, guitarist singer songwriter. Some people seem to have all the time eh?

Very true, and can visit the site everyday, also has a well. A lazy dog and a muddy stick. Life doesn’t get much better! 

44 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

2 bands with debuts coming out in Q1.... both getting good reputations and so not quite so 'never heard of them' as most suggested so far :

Before @crazyfool1gets the opportunity... The album has a ton of decent tunes and i feel they will get a lot of half decent festival slots this summer, leading to a step up in live venues (Cambridge Junction vs Portland Arms)

and also these chaps, who will start to feel the love outside of Manchester :

Thanks bdaze :) nice to have others starting to realise the potential :) 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Forgot to mention Do Nothing. Released four great singles so far.  Great sounding Art Rock/Post-Punk Band (think LCD Soundsystem mixed with Parquet Courts/Ought). The latest single is great - very catchy! 

i am very much liking these... will keep an eye out.

Some bigger than others on this list already:

Punk/Metal:

While She Sleeps

Squid

The Murder Capital

Sports Team
Heavy Lungs

Indie:

Ivory Wave

Vistas

Inhaler

sugarthief

Sea Girls

The Jack Fletcher Band

Riscas

Easy Life

Rap/Hip Hop:

Lady Sanity

D Block Europe

Aitch

Nines

Sneakbo

Hardy Caprio

No clue what genre to even call these guys:

100 Gecs

7 hours ago, priest17 said:

That's nice. I guess she'll get a BBC Introducing slot and depending on the next few months maybe an early Park slot or something. She's working with one of The Vaccines so she'll have some contacts on top of the BBC support, dunno if she's broken into Radio 1 yet 

She's supporting The 1975 and on the Sound of 2020 list (as well as losing the BRIT Award equivalent) so she's well on her way to a Pale Waves style boost. Probably a John Peel stage slot. She's actually good tho.

12 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Been about a bit now but as far as I'm aware they haven't released an album yet, Sports Team. 

Like 'em but everyone is going to hate these by the end of 2020. A gang of Cambridge University students sticking the knife into Fontaines and IDLES aren't gonna be champions of the people, but fair play to them for not giving a fuck.