favourite festival area or venue past or present

Crazyfool01

28 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

There was a venue pre beat hotel (same place) that used to look like a ship (from memory) but had palm trees and sold cocktails - and cheesy music all the way. Spent a brilliant few hours there one afternoon (after an efests footie match) , and still one of my best random afternoons. Stage wise I am a real John Peel fan , Theres something about the acoustics in there that make me get goosebumps and over the years have seen some very special sets in there

Cocktails 🍸 and dreams maybe ? It’s also been the guardian longe before that ... but that doesn’t seem to fit 

I loved the alleyways in the early years of Shangri-la. Great fun, loved Kamikaze karaoke, the Blessed Church of Bono and the various tiny rooms. I can see why the layout has changed in the SE corner as it's popularity went off the charts but I do think variety has had to be sacrificed.

Of the new venues, Scum stage is a winner for me. Great to have a space for extreme metal and punk on the site.

Also I concur with the shout outs for the Copperdollar, had some great nights in there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

That was it, cocktails and dreams 🙂

I spent several hours in there I dont think it lasted many festivals though ? maybe 2 ?  :) we used to camp on the strip of grass opposite and I used to nip across with a cider in hand if a tune came on I liked 

After thought I'd have to say Avalon area, especially on a sunny day the grass there is perfect for a sit in the sun with a beverage, the Avalon main stage is always a great venue for a gig and usually hosts some of my festival faves like Hobo Jones. The cafe is great for random bands too and I've caught some gems there in the past.  Shout out to the Avalon inn as well as the bar there is fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I spent several hours in there I dont think it lasted many festivals though ? maybe 2 ?  :) we used to camp on the strip of grass opposite and I used to nip across with a cider in hand if a tune came on I liked 

ha ha , yes I think it was only a short time, it was when JP was along that's strip at the end too so had many a happy shiny hour in there, in the sunshine :-)

I love the Spike, had some fantastic Wednesday nights in there over the years. 

The Stone Circle always has a special place in my heart though, changed massively since I first started going but still love spending an evening up there around a fire watching the site below 

10 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

I loved the alleyways in the early years of Shangri-la.

I miss them too but I guess overcrowding & the mud issue in 2011 caused a few headaches.

I remember being in a nightclub that was fixed up as an Amazon jungle dancing on a side stage. Awesome memories.

Random doctors/nurses printing t-shirts giving out syringe shots of “something” alcoholic.

Getting on my hands & knees & crawling through a tunnel at the back of Apple Smuggerlz bar & listening to DJ Yoda.

Edited by Bisque

I always loved the old Leftfield when it was by The Workers Tower (is it the Tony Benn Tower now?). Two stages and much more variety than the new Billy Bragg curated replacement. Way better than the total cheesefest replacement that is Williams Green.

I generally spend a lot of time in The Cabaret Tent. Especially if it's damp.

Cider Bus at least a couple of times a day :).

Also loved the old Shangri La alleyways though thought at the time they were a bit of a crush & fire hazard. Will never forget The Dog Faced Geisha Girl Bar.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I always loved the old Leftfield when it was by The Workers Tower (is it the Tony Benn Tower now?). Two stages and much more variety than the new Billy Bragg curated replacement. Way better than the total cheesefest replacement that is Williams Green.

I generally spend a lot of time in The Cabaret Tent. Especially if it's damp.

Cider Bus at least a couple of times a day :).

Also loved the old Shangri La alleyways though thought at the time they were a bit of a crush & fire hazard. Will never forget The Dog Faced Geisha Girl Bar.

+1 for the old Leftfield. Saw Tony Benn speak there and seen quite a few bands there-much more than the current one. A sad reflection on society that cheese has replaced serious politics. 

The Copper Dolar was also a favourite as was the afterburner (I think) when it was next to the rocket lounge