Predictions for the festival in the forthcoming decade

Matt42

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given it's probably a bigger space than Pangaea/ Arcadia I'd say similar size of names as there - Four Tet, Bicep, etc. Or even just mix up the genres a bit more.  I'd say even NYC Downlow had more heavy hitters than IICON did.

No drum & bass?

8 hours ago, Bisque said:

No drum & bass?

A lot of the DJ’s who played there were playing some breaks with techno and garage. Hessle Audio player some hardcore and jungle too. They ended on Champion Sound.

Straight up Drum and Bass is massively over catered for at Glastonbury and I’m a casual fan. 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:56 AM, Tommy Dickfingers said:

A lot of the DJ’s who played there were playing some breaks with techno and garage. Hessle Audio player some hardcore and jungle too. They ended on Champion Sound.

Straight up Drum and Bass is massively over catered for at Glastonbury and I’m a casual fan. 

I love an hour or two of D&B unless it’s a Hospital Records night where it’s a bit more chill. Looking forward to seeing Pangea & IICON... wait for it... THIS YEAR.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s a potential major change the festival may have to consider in the near future if it wishes to improve it’s green credentials: limiting flights by reducing overseas acts, something I was going to raise before and now I see it is to be implemented where I’ve just been, Celtic Connections.

I’m sure no one would like to see this happen at Glastonbury for many reasons, but I reckon it’s only a matter of time....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jan/27/celtic-connections-to-scale-back-on-overseas-acts-in-bid-to-fight-climate-crisis

The concept of touring is kind of the greenest way of doing live music, no? Bands hit all the festivals in Europe on a big ole tour, and it's entirely doable without flying once you're here. If Glastonbury didn't book anyone that had flown, punters would just fly elsewhere to see 'must sees' (within reason) 

People fly in to Glastonbury specifically: even from within the UK (which is obviously a problem with the infrastructure nationally, but unfortunately we won't get any sensible policy on this topic with this government). Would be a far better use of resources to encourage sustainable travel to the festival imo - i.e. greater numbers of more combined coach/train etc packages. Even this is still problematic because someone from Glasgow could fly down to London to get a 3hr coach. It's a tough problem. 

Edited by Tuna

12 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Here’s a potential major change the festival may have to consider in the near future if it wishes to improve it’s green credentials: limiting flights by reducing overseas acts

before we get to that we're going to have to see individuals limiting their flights for holidays including flying overseas to see bands.

Get back to me when you see the kids agreeing to do that and deserting the airports. Good luck if you can even manage to hold a sensible convo with someone about that.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

before we get to that we're going to have to see individuals limiting their flights for holidays including flying overseas to see bands.

Get back to me when you see the kids agreeing to do that and deserting the airports. Good luck if you can even manage to hold a sensible convo with someone about that.

Kids are more conscious of that though compared to the older generation. 

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

The concept of touring is kind of the greenest way of doing live music, no? Bands hit all the festivals in Europe on a big ole tour, and it's entirely doable without flying once you're here. If Glastonbury didn't book anyone that had flown, punters would just fly elsewhere to see 'must sees' (within reason)

Very true. People seem to be thinking that all air travel (save for their own, usually) is bad without weighing up the reality of it.