Predictions for the festival in the forthcoming decade

Matt42

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

just been reading about it on Wiki quite interesting information on there .... it grew out of lost vagueness off the top of my head ... the size of the area seems similar but its rejigged and become the creative masterpiece it is now ... I still loved the earlier days when it seemed like much less of a required destination for people to tick off ... but think the introduction of icon last year was a masterstroke for crowd management 

Micro venues that you stumble into not knowing what is behind a door are amazing but the crowd issues just got ridiculous. Exacerbated by the mud in 2016 and something had to be done. You’re spot on about icon. Not my cup of tea if I’m honest but if it keeps a few thousand punters happy and contained so I can freely go elsewhere then everyone wins.

11 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Micro venues that you stumble into not knowing what is behind a door are amazing but the crowd issues just got ridiculous. Exacerbated by the mud in 2016 and something had to be done. You’re spot on about icon. Not my cup of tea if I’m honest but if it keeps a few thousand punters happy and contained so I can freely go elsewhere then everyone wins.

visually its superb ... id love to create something like that at the festival ... musically maybe not so much to my tastes .... but I could spend hours just looking at some of the southeast corner venues ... amazing stuff over there :) 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

visually its superb ... id love to create something like that at the festival ... musically maybe not so much to my tastes .... but I could spend hours just looking at some of the southeast corner venues ... amazing stuff over there :) 

Same here, stood and marvelled at icon a couple of times but not my taste musically. Would’ve said the same about Samula but found myself there for a long time, what a venue. The changes through the last decade are extensive if you were to list them and I’d expect the same going forward, haven’t even mentioned the likes of the pier and cinemageddon etc. I personally would like more secret venues but, besides the fact they aren’t good for crowd management, there also may be loads and I’m just shite at finding them. I did manage to find a certain ‘underground’ establishment last year though which was a box ticked if nothing else.

7 hours ago, jow95 said:

Boomtown is king of the micro venues now, but has a much, much smaller capacity. 

I only had a smaller than usual number of nights at the festival but I probably spent longer at IICON than I did elsewhere. Visually stunning, my friends were really into it but musically it wouldn't have been my first port of call. I think it was definitely needed down there though.

On 12/28/2019 at 2:25 PM, incident said:

It's not that interesting, a lot of it seemed petty at the time and only moreso when you look back.. I think part of it was captured in the LV film.

All about the 'theft' of the aeroplane fuselage that Roy had been using as a bar for a few years iirc. He said cancel it all. His staff had other ideas.. 

20 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

All about the 'theft' of the aeroplane fuselage that Roy had been using as a bar for a few years iirc. He said cancel it all. His staff had other ideas.. 

It was about as much about the theft of the fuselage as WWI was about the assassination of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand in the end though wasn't it?

On 12/28/2019 at 2:25 PM, incident said:

It's not that interesting, a lot of it seemed petty at the time and only moreso when you look back.. I think part of it was captured in the LV film.

Folks can watch it on youtube or prime for a couple of quid.

The film is well worth a watch for those who want to see the way things were and has some very entertaining footage and stories of LV.

23 hours ago, Bisque said:

What was the music policy at IICON? (I didn’t go this year)

Good dance music. Suppose kind of underground. Highlights for me included Hessle Audio, Larry Heard live, Zenker Brothers and Batu. Karenn was good for a while but I was pretty fed up of everything by that point. 

I have total and absolute faith in the bookers of Bloc9 to keep booking quality. I hope they aren’t inclined to cave and book “big names” 🙄

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd be surprised if they weren't reviewing the music policy at IICON, given the smaller than expected crowds.

I’d like to think of icon as like a flood plain ... throughly impressive and effective in taking the pressures of the tides of extra people ... it seemed to work well to this effect last year as the SEC seemed much easier to access at the normal peak times .. I fear you are correct though and the whole area will increase in congestion with bigger names there 

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd be surprised if they weren't reviewing the music policy at IICON, given the smaller than expected crowds.

Why? It’s their idea, their creation and their bookings. They suddenly gonna abandon everything they believe in to book Calvin Harris so it looks full?

9 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I thought it was still very busy at times. Big queues for the temple and NYC Downlow, even at 4am. 

I’ve never not seen big queues for those but was thinking the general area was less packed maybe I was just lucky in my timing or might have lost the general idea of time somewhat :) 

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given it's probably a bigger space than Pangaea/ Arcadia I'd say similar size of names as there - Four Tet, Bicep, etc. Or even just mix up the genres a bit more.  I'd say even NYC Downlow had more heavy hitters than IICON did.

I like Four Tet but I think they can book better and I think they did. Bicep would work live or DJing.

Rumour is they very nearly got Kraftwerk. Could see Thom Yorke or Aphex Twin on there as a crowd drawer.