Predictions for the festival in the forthcoming decade

Matt42

3 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Yes. I was drunk. Thanks for the pedantry though.

Fixed it! 

edit: can’t have been drunk it was 7am. :)

Reminded me of this song. Be careful driving after an eventful Xmas!

Not I believe any of us would be stupid enough just remember for the mornings!

More emphasis on substainability, and the planet with educational areas around this - XR have a stronger presence, maybe with their own area ……  the Greenpeace area will grow (no idea where to)

Sadly more social media warriors feeling 'aggrieved ' at the line up and like they are entitled to pick the line up to meet their own wish list and if not they will be angry/upset/fuming (that's my 'favourite' when someone says they are 'fuming that X has been picked to play eerrrrmmm)

More pre erected camping, maybe within the festival itself - maybe even in key areas' (which would be a shame) , more coach tickets / maybe a train tie in too with tickets to promote greener travel,

2 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Don’t they do this already?

Forgive me but do they still do the 50p off vouchers for certain food stalls if you arrive by train/coach?

B804D7B9-BC39-4FA6-BA66-9F4E481D79FA.jpeg

I'm not sure,...… I was more thinking about a Thursday presale for coach/ticket combos and another presale for train/ticket combos (but not sure how they would give out tickets on a train) …. and I don't know about the discount off food --- I'm not a bundle of knowledge today,:-)

8 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm not sure,...… I was more thinking about a Thursday presale for coach/ticket combos and another presale for train/ticket combos (but not sure how they would give out tickets on a train) …. and I don't know about the discount off food --- I'm not a bundle of knowledge today,:-)

No worries. Hope you are recovering well from a good Xmas!

You’re right though, a train ticket option could be a good idea. Collect tickets at Castle Cary. Logistics could be a nightmare as it’s only a small station.

I agree with you on the pre-erected camping. Whether it’s a good thing or not I’m not sure. I’m edging on the not side but it may attract a newer crowd (I know a lot of my airline friends would never drag kit & camp in tent) if it’s the glamping kind of tent & would also reduce waste if it’s more basic tenting although I heard this year there was a huge reduction in people leaving gear behind.

Edited by Bisque

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The bottom bit of the tweet .... how long will this need to keep growing ...? surely social media use will max out at some point at the Festival ?

I can only see it getting worse. I only use whatsapp & a picture to Insta/fb to say I’ve arrived. I think with lots of efesters not getting tickets this year & more of an appeal to a younger audience.

I blame portable phone chargers.

I don’t think there’s anything that wrong with it, it was sunny this year, wouldn’t you want to make your friends at home jealous you’re at the best festival in the world?

1 minute ago, Bisque said:

I can only see it getting worse. I only use whatsapp & a picture to Insta/fb to say I’ve arrived. I think with lots of efesters not getting tickets this year & more of an appeal to a younger audience.

I blame portable phone chargers.

I don’t think there’s anything that wrong with it, it was sunny this year, wouldn’t you want to make your friends at home jealous you’re at the best festival in the world?

Im not sure any of my friends have quite the same level of obsessiveness over it so there probably isn't much hope or intention of making anyone jealous on my part and I really dont care about that ... Glastonbury is about me and the people I bump into not 2D images . The thing that does worry me is the fact that people dont join in the spontaneous because of social media inhibitions ... you cant do anything without it being caught on camera ... and revealed to the world and his dog .... Glastonbury however is a great opportunity to take stunning photos but letting yourself go and be in the moment really cant be done holding a camera ....

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Im not sure any of my friends have quite the same level of obsessiveness over it so there probably isn't much hope or intention of making anyone jealous on my part and I really dont care about that ... Glastonbury is about me and the people I bump into not 2D images . The thing that does worry me is the fact that people dont join in the spontaneous because of social media inhibitions ... you cant do anything without it being caught on camera ... and revealed to the world and his dog .... Glastonbury however is a great opportunity to take stunning photos but letting yourself go and be in the moment really cant be done holding a camera ....

Completely agree. I love to take pics at the fest, especially Wed/Thurs but I do on a half decent camera to save phone battery.

However, working in a ‘no mobile phone’ school I can quite accurately say that the younger generation use their phones as an extension of their own arm for Snapchat & Insta even when they are waiting at the bus stop.

Put them at a fest In the sunshine & it’s inevitable. They’ll still be enjoying themselves, just in a different way to the rest of us.

Just look at recent Reading videos on youtube & most of the girls on guys or guys on girls or guys on guys or girls on girls or non-binary shoulders are taking selfies or videoing the set.

edit: anyway, they’ll all be watching shit whilst we go off & enjoy ourselves elsewhere they haven’t a clue about anyway.

Edited by Bisque

They probably would if IDS came to Glastonbury 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/emilyashton/boris-johnson-went-to-glastonbury-with-billy-bragg-and-absol

Interesting to see the old 'reciting the Iliad in the original Ancient Greek' party piece that everyone was discussing last week getting rolled out.

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They probably would if IDS came to Glastonbury 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/emilyashton/boris-johnson-went-to-glastonbury-with-billy-bragg-and-absol

Interesting to see the old 'reciting the Iliad in the original Ancient Greek' party piece that everyone was discussing last week getting rolled out.

I wish this was actually satire. 

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Did not know. What a pity. I guess some people like to be recognised for their achievements and fairplay but fuck being in the same illustrious feudal pals club as Sir Ian Duncan Smith.

I also cannot believe he's on any kind of Honours list. Are they just running out of nice people? Or are they, as is probably more likely, all just in it together...the bunch of inbred c**ts*. 

*Apologies. I am in my annual post-christmas grump. 

Edited by Sasperella

2 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Had Arcadia even started in 2010? Was certainly in its infancy

Their first collaboration, the Afterburner, debuted at the Glastonbury Festival in 2007 after being built in a cowshed.[10] Subsequent years saw the refinement of the Afterburner until 2010 when 3 Customs and Excise scanning units were attached as "legs".[2]

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Their first collaboration, the Afterburner, debuted at the Glastonbury Festival in 2007 after being built in a cowshed.[10] Subsequent years saw the refinement of the Afterburner until 2010 when 3 Customs and Excise scanning units were attached as "legs".[2]

So by 2010 the spider was alive then? I think I’ve seen somewhere that it was in the SE corner originally. Sadly didn’t attend until a couple years after so couldn’t tell you.

Regardless, the last decade saw Arcadia get its own field, plus a huge list of additions like most of the SE corner and the rabbit hole etc. Not entirely sure when the SE corner truly grew but I think I’m right in saying that 10 years ago it was a fraction of the size.

1 minute ago, jow95 said:

So by 2010 the spider was alive then? I think I’ve seen somewhere that it was in the SE corner originally. Sadly didn’t attend until a couple years after so couldn’t tell you.

Regardless, the last decade saw Arcadia get its own field, plus a huge list of additions like most of the SE corner and the rabbit hole etc. Not entirely sure when the SE corner truly grew but I think I’m right in saying that 10 years ago it was a fraction of the size.

just been reading about it on Wiki quite interesting information on there .... it grew out of lost vagueness off the top of my head ... the size of the area seems similar but its rejigged and become the creative masterpiece it is now ... I still loved the earlier days when it seemed like much less of a required destination for people to tick off ... but think the introduction of icon last year was a masterstroke for crowd management