Predictions for the festival in the forthcoming decade

Matt42

A brand is a product, service, or concept that is publicly distinguished from other products, services, or concepts so that it can be easily communicated and usually marketed. A brandname is the name of the distinctive product, service, or concept. Branding is the process of creating and disseminating the brand name.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

A brand is a product, service, or concept that is publicly distinguished from other products, services, or concepts so that it can be easily communicated and usually marketed. A brandname is the name of the distinctive product, service, or concept. Branding is the process of creating and disseminating the brand name.

Well good afternoon Mr Buzz Killington 

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You'll agree to disagree? I'm not offering you that agreement! Just go on Google or Wikipedia for a couple of minutes and you can find out that Glastonbury is a brand, charities are brands, Russell Brand is a brand and football clubs are among the biggest brands in the world.

I wasn’t accepting that agreement I was offering it to you ♟ 

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

My prediction is that these two things will happen but also that it will make for a rocky transitional period with Glastonbury, and they could retreat somewhat if one year doesn't sell out as quick as hoped. 

All it could take is a combination of a mudbath, an increase in cost, a drop-off of regulars and a perceived poor set of headliners and we may find ourselves nearer 2009 sellout rates again. I appreciate that's a specific set of circumstances but it's not inconceivable. The festival still has to stay on its toes, I know it enjoys unprecedented demand at the moment but it could quite easily drop off. No doubt they're not resting on their laurels though, the organisation is in good hands 

7 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I don't think £300 by 2025 is an unreasonable increase to the ticket price by then. 

Me neither. However, they might be well advised to introduce an incremental payment scheme by then. £100 deposit, £100 in January, balance in April. Something like that. 

A greater deposit may also scare off the casuals, allowing the definites a better chance of securing a ticket in the initial sale. 

10 hours ago, ProperTea said:

Michael Eavis will get knighted.

At least half of the tickets will be coach tickets by the end of the decade and at least half pre erected camping.

As the festival continues to attract massive acts and the demographics of the fest change, the Pyramid field will get permanently extended.

Reading/Leeds/Coachella style massive LED screens next to the Pyramid.

They'll finally sort Silver Hayes out.

And hopefully he’d refuse the knighthood. 

Fuck the fucking monarchy.

In the next ten years I expect we'll see a new Pyramid stage, with a modest size increase. There are geographical constraints to how large the stage can get, but the site can take a slightly bigger Pyramid footprint - it's a really rather small stage for the size of the audience and the scope of productions that acts would like to put on.

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

All it could take is a combination of a mudbath, an increase in cost, a drop-off of regulars and a perceived poor set of headliners and we may find ourselves nearer 2009 sellout rates again. I appreciate that's a specific set of circumstances but it's not inconceivable. The festival still has to stay on its toes, I know it enjoys unprecedented demand at the moment but it could quite easily drop off. No doubt they're not resting on their laurels though, the organisation is in good hands 

Fair points well made. Worth throwing in to your specific set of circumstances any end to the blanket bbc tv coverage the festival enjoys and benefits from.

Remember reading some negative press this year about the costs and number of folk the bbc commit every year.

Hope it doesn’t happen but things could change with the bbc going forward especially with them having a few of their own festivals to promote.

Edited by Comfy Bean

In the next decade:

Emily will buy a farm in Swaledale and make a Glastonbury of the north. 😙

It will all be pre-erected by 2030. 😒

Michael will go across the sea with the elves. :( 

Ticket price £300 by 2022 ;)

Arcadia and the SE corner lot will team up and make a series of spin-off set-heavy story-led festivals. 🤨

Silver Hayes RIP by 2022. 🙃

Predominantly American solo headliners. The age of the band is ending. 😔

Bringing your own booze will be banned. 😫

The weather will get wild.😡🥶

Edited by whitehorses
Added emojis

I’ve been avoiding this thread, given my age I have no wish to contemplate the next decade, my glastos are limited. The thought of watching it on telly with a packet of Werthers fills  me with dread.   Unless We just buy a couple of camp chairs, tartan rugs and we plonk ourselves in the acoustic tent permanently! 

I don’t think much will change in the next ten years. The festival hasn’t changed fundamentally in the last ten years. Micheal will likely shuffle off this mortal coil and Emily will take full control. I don’t think bad weather or bad headliners will be enough to stop it selling out. Your bad headliner is someone else’s dream headliner. 

16 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I don’t think much will change in the next ten years. The festival hasn’t changed fundamentally in the last ten years. Micheal will likely shuffle off this mortal coil and Emily will take full control. I don’t think bad weather or bad headliners will be enough to stop it selling out. Your bad headliner is someone else’s dream headliner. 

Agree. Even if Bieber headlined one year in the future in June, it would still sell out in October.

AC/DC need to f**king headline before they are no more if he is booked though.

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Chris Martin will be a special guest on the bandstand ....... seriously though it seems that special guests have become more commonplace ... I think this trend will continue 

I think the special guests are a good way to give people a surprise without all the hassle that comes from full secret sets being ruined by w*nkers on the internet ;)

On 12/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, lukethekid said:

Well good afternoon Mr Buzz Killington 

You have prompted me to add my 2p:

My prediction for the next 10 years is that someone will be run over and killed by a site vehicle.  This will have massive implications as the festival currently relies on the ability to move large kit along pedestrian routes during busy periods.  Once this has happened, the introduction of the South-East Corner one-way system will seem like child's'-play compared to what the festival will have to do to satisfy the authorities and ward off the lawyers.  I can't imagine how they'd sort it and I reckon it would be an existential thread to the festival itself.

(Sorry: it's a bleak contribution to the thread and doesn't deserve further discussion.  It does, however, lay the foundation for a big 'told you so' at some point before 2030.)

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

You have prompted me to add my 2p:

My prediction for the next 10 years is that someone will be run over and killed by a site vehicle.  This will have massive implications as the festival currently relies on the ability to move large kit along pedestrian routes during busy periods.  Once this has happened, the introduction of the South-East Corner one-way system will seem like child's'-play compared to what the festival will have to do to satisfy the authorities and ward off the lawyers.  I can't imagine how they'd sort it and I reckon it would be an existential thread to the festival itself.

(Sorry: it's a bleak contribution to the thread and doesn't deserve further discussion.  It does, however, lay the foundation for a big 'told you so' at some point before 2030.)

This does worry me too. I was nearby when that woman had her leg run over by a tractor on the railway line, causing a huge crush as Rag n Bone man was on at the Other stage. Felt really dangerous. The Land Rovers feel like they’re bombing about too when you’re in a slightly slower state of mind.