Predictions for the festival in the forthcoming decade

Matt42

This should be fun!

What do you think will happen with the festival in the forthcoming decade?

The 10s were pretty massive for the festival. It transformed into an instant sell out event and now hosts (comfortably) some of the biggest acts in the world. Some acts waaaay bigger than it ever has. I’d say the 10s for Glastonbury is the decade where it became bigger than it already was, and I definitely think we are living in the peak of the festival.

Here is some of my predictions 

- Emily Eavis will continue the trend of booking current and exciting headliners (instead of phoning up older bands). We will see a continuation of the rise of solo acts and alternative / R&B / Hip Hop headliners.

- However... I think the festival will bag one massive reunion. Oasis, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, R.E.M — I reckon one real big reunion will happen and they will play the festival.

- We will see loads of new headliners come into the scene. Glastonbury will give a leg up to some exciting new acts (just as it always has done).

- The south east corner / late night activities will continue to grow and rival some of the festivals specifically designed for this.

So what do you think? Of course funny responses are okay but I would like to hear some serious predictions about what the 20s will bring for the festival?

31 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I wonder if that will be after the 50th, he may take a step back after that and not do the public duties. 

Hasn’t he done that? I mean I doubt there will be a year where he doesn’t show his face. It’s happening in his back yard!

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I definitely think we are living in the peak of the festival.

If we are at 'peak' - massive acts, instant sell out, demand waaay outstripping supply ... how long will it go on? Is this now steady state or do we forsee a drop off in interest to a point where tickets will be 'accessable' again?

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hasn’t he done that? I mean I doubt there will be a year where he doesn’t show his face. It’s happening in his back yard!

Probably a little bit, however i'm sure I read somewhere he was planning on taking a step back after the 50th. Proverbial passing of the torch to Emily. 

I reckon we might get a refresh of `Silver Hayes at some point its really the only area in need of some creativity ..... and the long awaited trough on the side of the toilet that is used by the wall pissers ..... The festival will also continue the attempts to make it more sustainable and less environmentally damaging ....

Nothing groundbreaking and all fairly obvious:

I think after G50 we'll start to see a more obvious demographic shift. Some of the veterans will give way to a younger or certainly newer audience and I think this might be reflected in the lineups, particularly the headliners.

The southwest corner is due a regeneration and I think this will come, post-G50. Not sure what that will look like but no doubt it will be as creative and exciting as it first was. 

As someone said above, the push for pre-pitched accommodation will increase. Not just for ecological reasons but there's probably more profit in it.

Silver Hayes will be gone within the next few years. Or definitely be re-designed, at least.

Ticket price will probably be £300 by 2025.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Silver Hayes will be gone within the next few years. Or definitely be re-designed, at least.

for sure ... see above ... Id see some kind of bigger stage or installation in there , depending on if there was room ... plenty of scope for Joe Rush Involvement too 

• Like 1

I think the area that is probably most likely to change/go/move is the dance village.  It's just really bland compared to the rest of the festival.

Also, Left Field could be replaced by Right Field, to reflect our new political leaning.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I think the area that is probably most likely to change/go/move is the dance village.  It's just really bland compared to the rest of the festival.

Also, Left Field could be replaced by Right Field, to reflect our new political leaning.

we have been saying the top bit for quite a few years .... and although ive just posted exactly the same ... doesnt this area have someone in creative charge thats been doing it for quite a while .. 20 years plus springs to mind ... so unless this person got some new creative inspiration from the rest of the festival or it changed hands we will just get more of the same ... with lots of different shapes and sizes of tents moving about the field with some different names on them ..... Left field is all right as far as im concerned :) 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

we have been saying the top bit for quite a few years .... and although ive just posted exactly the same ... doesnt this area have someone in creative charge thats been doing it for quite a while .. 20 years plus springs to mind ... so unless this person got some new creative inspiration from the rest of the festival or it changed hands we will just get more of the same ... with lots of different shapes and sizes of tents moving about the field with some different names on them ..... Left field is all right as far as im concerned :) 

Yes... Malcolm Haynes set up the first dance tent in the 90's.  I guess the festival have overall control though and will know if it's something they want to change.   Feedback about it is generally that it's dated and a walk through area for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Yes... Malcolm Haynes set up the first dance tent in the 90's.  I guess the festival have overall control though and will know if it's something they want to change.   Feedback about it is generally that it's dated and a walk through area for a lot of people.

yep thats the fellow ... I do think we have been giving that feedback for quite a few years though with just a bit of change .... HI Emily :) 

Reduced size/stages/tents with more label orientated nights in Silver Hayes with their own set ups & tech wizardry.

Bigger Other stage with wrap around screens like R&L.

Crappy burger vans replaced with more gourmet & vegan options.

A bigger LGBGTQ+ presence.

Brothers Bar gets their own venue.

42 minutes ago, stuie said:

Eeeeeppppp.....What a truly dystopian future that would be!

Imaging bumping into one of our Tory overlords in the queue for a cup of sawdust. Ed Balls I could just about deal with (until he slagged off Radiohead, obvs). 

Dont think the mud is such a problem. I think we’re due a few washouts to separate the wheat from the chaff anyway. Clear out the pyramid camp stool brigade once and for all. But the heat at the start of this year was a bit much, it sapped the life out of me in the days, imagine a degree or two on top of that and every day weds-mon. The farm would suffer and the pundits would suffer

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Dont think the mud is such a problem. I think we’re due a few washouts to separate the wheat from the chaff anyway. Clear out the pyramid camp stool brigade once and for all. But the heat at the start of this year was a bit much, it sapped the life out of me in the days, imagine a degree or two on top of that and every day weds-mon. The farm would suffer and the pundits would suffer

Aye yeh, that was sort of what I meant 🙂

Silver Hayes to have a make over/complete change.
More focus into getting bigger dance acts for the SE corner, along with making it easier to walk around during the busy evenings. 
More focus to plastic free/continue pushing to take stuff home. 
Pangaea to grow in size and creativity just like Arcadia did this year. 
More focus towards female headliners. 

I can see the SE corner being done over the course of 21-22, a conversation I had with someone this year with their idea was to turn the area into a 1/2 stage  area with big dance/dj acts on, the type you'd see at Tomorrowland.