Oasis 2021?

blutarsky

Do you know what? Why not.

Radiohead have played again. Paul McCartney has been booked again. Taylor Swift has been booked. The Cure have played again.

We’re running out of things to hope and dream for. Depeche Mode, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna etc will be the names big in the press from now on. So why not hopelessly speculate? 

Rage against the Machine reformed out of nowhere. Nothing is impossible anymore.

Yeah, why not.  There's a whole generation growing up who have never seen them.  Liam's solo popularity - which nobody is kidding themselves is about his new work - shows that there is a market for them, and it's only fair that all those who never saw them first time around have their chance to see just how disappointing they could be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Do you know what? Why not.

Radiohead have played again. Paul McCartney has been booked again. Taylor Swift has been booked. The Cure have played again.

We’re running out of things to hope and dream for. Depeche Mode, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna etc will be the names big in the press from now on. So why not hopelessly speculate? 

Rage against the Machine reformed out of nowhere. Nothing is impossible anymore.

It wasn't really out of nowhere - theres a US election next year.

That and also the fact that they wouldn't be considered headliner material in the UK. Maybe for the likes of Latitude, but not unless there's a sea change, they wouldn't be considered relevant/big enough for Glasto I'd say they're definitely sub-Cure level in terms of the public psyche and that decision was considered pretty left field. 

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

That and also the fact that they wouldn't be considered headliner material in the UK. Maybe for the likes of Latitude, but not unless there's a sea change, they wouldn't be considered relevant/big enough for Glasto I'd say they're definitely sub-Cure level in terms of the public psyche and that decision was considered pretty left field. 

They are bigger than the Cure in this country by every conceivable metric you can think of. Record sales, top 10 hits, no 1 albums, absolutely everything. They sold out West Hams stadium last year. They are far bigger than Florence and the Machine, Stormzy, Kendrick Lamar,, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, , Mumford & Sons and are bigger than the cure, all those have headlined Glastonbury recently. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They are bigger than the Cure in this country by every conceivable metric you can think of. Record sales, top 10 hits, no 1 albums, absolutely everything. They sold out West Hams stadium last year. They are far bigger than Florence and the Machine, Stormzy, Kendrick Lamar,, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, , Mumford & Sons and are bigger than the cure, all those have headlined Glastonbury recently. 

Then do us a favour, put a word in with them, have them play the big pointy stage and we can all see for ourselves.  All this (lack of) procrastination isn't going to win any arguments!

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Even if Oasis were to reform in 2021, which they won’t, they wouldn’t play Glastonbury until after the highly lucrative gigs anyway so 22 or even 23 would be more likely.

See I disagree. Liam has fallen in love with the place and I think he probably sees that Oasis returning and headlining Glastonbury would be “F*CKING EPIC... LG X”

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Because they both openly loathe each other, that’s why not.

This is fixable. 

I don’t really believe a reunion is coming soon but I feel pretty comfortable that it will happen. Emily has given Liam a slot (potentially) three years on the trot and booked Noel for this year. She knows what she’s doing — she wants to be in both of their good books, and she is!

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Even if Oasis were to reform in 2021, which they won’t, they wouldn’t play Glastonbury until after the highly lucrative gigs anyway so 22 or even 23 would be more likely.

I think they could and would do both at this point - neither solo act seems particularly affected by a lack of exclusivity. But I agree they’re not about to reform.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think they could and would do both at this point - neither solo act seems particularly affected by a lack of exclusivity. But I agree they’re not about to reform.

Noel’s on record as saying he’d only do it if the money was right. The Glastonbury money would not be right. They’d get round to doing it eventually but not immediately, Noel would want the massive payday that comes from a string of sold out Heaton Park/Wembley gigs first.

It’ll happen eventually I’m sure but I think we’re still a few years away from it.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Noel’s on record as saying he’d only do it if the money was right. The Glastonbury money would not be right. They’d get round to doing it eventually but not immediately, Noel would want the massive payday that comes from a string of sold out Heaton Park/Wembley gigs first.

It’ll happen eventually I’m sure but I think we’re still a few years away from it.

The Glastonbury money doesn’t need to be right if they’ve got a string of high-paying gigs in the same summer. This is obviously a sticking point for acts who don’t care for the glory of doing Glastonbury but these guys do.

They would work with the same promoters who they’ve been doing their solo ventures with, and it’s clear that there’s no saturation point so there’s no reason one would think doing Glasto would torpedo their own sales.