CATS

H.M.V

47 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This is so good. I have no intention of wasting precious hours of my life watching this shit, but I have zero issues with wasting precious hours of my life reading people that I don't know roast the shit out of it

I've probably spent longer than the running time of the film reading reviews and Twitter. Zero intention of watching it.

21 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I have seen this movie.

4 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I feel like a succinct Calgon review really has potential

He's quiet. Too quiet. 

Either Calgon loved it and is keeping schtum, or there's a medieval banquet level 10 bird roast on the horizon.

Calgon! What news of society fashion?

36 minutes ago, Quark said:

a medieval banquet level 10 bird roast on the horizon

:lol:

Getting into the Christmas spirit there, Quark? 

On another note, "Roasting" is another one of those things that I never hear anyone say outside of this forum. It's like CalGon is creating his own language...and it's sticking!

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

:lol:

Getting into the Christmas spirit there, Quark? 

On another note, "Roasting" is another one of those things that I never hear anyone say outside of this forum. It's like CalGon is creating his own language...and it's sticking!

I may have been in the booze cupboard

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

This is so good. I have no intention of wasting precious hours of my life watching this shit, but I have zero issues with wasting precious hours of my life reading people that I don't know roast the shit out of it

it will be the gift that keeps on giving. Wonder how the reaction wouldve been if it wasnt released alongside star wars. Then there is a bigger swath of people who wouldve seen it opening weekend and been filling up twitter with endless rants. 

and the studio releasing a different version within 48 hours is hilarious. Apparently you can see Judi Dench’s hand without any chi, and its very obvious.

I've just watched a very dodgy camera version of it and don't think it's as bad as all the critics are saying. 

They are some massive cringe-worthy moments in it and it is a bit weird in places but in my opinion it's not too far off the original musical whihc itself is a bit weird. 

As for the cast, Francesca Hayward nailed it as Victoria, particularly her version of Beautiful Ghosts.Taylor Swift's version of Bombalurina is brilliant, despite the dodgy British accent, although personally I would have loved to have seen more of her in it as she's only on screen for about 5 minutes during the entire the film with one song, which was great, and a couple of spoken lines. Jason Derulo as the Rum Tum Tugger for me was a strange choice and it is weird seeing him prance about as a cat (may need to be boozed/drugged up to watch that). Judi Dench is a bit odd, as is Ian McKellen. James Corden and Rebel Wilson were just their annoying selfs.  J-Hud is relatively quiet throughout but did do a great version of MemoryI. Not sure who played Rumpleteazer and Mungojerrie but they were good. 

All in all a relatively interesting and entertaining watch but not a groundbreaking film. I'll probably watch it a proper version of it just to make sure I didn't miss anything but think it's one of those films you only see a couple of times at most.  I'll give it a modest 6/10 or 3 stars rating.

• Upvote 1

Don't want to be accused of anti-Jellicle hate speech so close to Baby Jesus's Birthday.

Funnily enough, I'm fairly sure renowned local cinephile Mark Cousins was also in the house when I saw it, and he's compared it to Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain 

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/cats-unprecedented-visual-bewilderment-pleasure

Not seen the film but if you are looking forward to it and are a musical fan it may worth reminding yourself of the reviews for the greatest showman and Mama Mia compared against their raging popularity. Personally will give it a miss despite being a musical fan as have not seen the stage show

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Don't want to be accused of anti-Jellicle hate speech so close to Baby Jesus's Birthday.

Funnily enough, I'm fairly sure renowned local cinephile Mark Cousins was also in the house when I saw it, and he's compared it to Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain 

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/cats-unprecedented-visual-bewilderment-pleasure

So, you loved it? Or is the pressure just too much?

Either way, how disappointing.

Edited by Sasperella

Saw the film last night.

I've never seen the musical (stage) so had no preconceived idea of what to expect apart from all the reviews that said it was awful.

My first comment at the end of the file was: "What the f*** was all that about?" (in reference to the plot).

However I found it quite captivating. Probably due to the fact that I was trying to work out what the f*** was going on.

Ultimately I didn't find it as bad as I was led to believe by the critics. Probably the same critics that enthused and ejaculated over La-La-Land, which I thought was the biggest load of bollox I've ever witnessed on a cinema screen, yet they gave that a load of Oscars.

I also enjoyed trying to work out who everyone was (the actors in real life), plus anything with Idris Elba in it is 5-star in my book having last seen him off my tits in The Glade on one of the best nights in Glasto history for me.

So sod what the critics say, they're a bunch of opinionated twats (I know...they have to be...it's their job 😂) but what do they know!

• Upvote 1

Seen it. Loved it. Cats is my fave musical of all time.

People who think it's weird and awful would also think the stage show is weird and awful.

The CGI isn't great quality in parts, but it's essentially still the musical. Some of the cats wear clothes, some don't. That is true to the musical. Same with the weird scale of cat to set and also the human figures of the cats. It's the bloody stage show imagined as a film. It'd weird and sexual and doesn't have much plot. And that's how I like it. 

Rant over 

Edited by I feel like Pablo

1 hour ago, Gilb said:

Saw the film last night.

I've never seen the musical (stage) so had no preconceived idea of what to expect apart from all the reviews that said it was awful.

My first comment at the end of the file was: "What the f*** was all that about?" (in reference to the plot).

However I found it quite captivating. Probably due to the fact that I was trying to work out what the f*** was going on.

Ultimately I didn't find it as bad as I was led to believe by the critics. Probably the same critics that enthused and ejaculated over La-La-Land, which I thought was the biggest load of bollox I've ever witnessed on a cinema screen, yet they gave that a load of Oscars.

I also enjoyed trying to work out who everyone was (the actors in real life), plus anything with Idris Elba in it is 5-star in my book having last seen him off my tits in The Glade on one of the best nights in Glasto history for me.

So sod what the critics say, they're a bunch of opinionated twats (I know...they have to be...it's their job 😂) but what do they know!

I had to turn la la land off. It was atrocious.