CATS

H.M.V

49 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Can we get Cats on the pyramid stage? Just imagine thousands of people singing "Oh! Well I never! Was there ever a cat so clever as Magical Mister Mistoffelees?"

A real Glastonbury moment

It's like you're almost summoning that Jason Derulo super fan to post; there ain't no Rum Tum Tugger without Derulo. 😂

12 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

It's like you're almost summoning that Jason Derulo super fan to post; there ain't no Rum Tum Tugger without Derulo. 😂

I see you point, but honestly now there's no Rum Tum Tugger without Calgon. Ideally being sent over the edge by the whole spectacle.

If it happens I vote for rescheduling the EFestivals meetup

• Like 1

i got dragged to see it and just got back.It's so bad, people were leaving through out. For balance my partner did like it, so might appeal to some.

The perspective is all over the place, sometimes the props make the  cats look huge other times small. Absolutly no consistancy to the scale of the world the cats inhabit. Worse then the strange scale, editing, lack of narrative and general weirdness of it all was that it was simply so dull. It must be one of the dullest musicals ever.

Plus I'm still no wiser to what a Jellical cat is. Maybe take some catnip or other substance of choice before going and it  might seem better.

44 minutes ago, Dales said:

Plus I'm still no wiser to what a Jellical cat is. Maybe take some catnip or other substance of choice before going and it  might seem better.

No idea, but apparently...

https://www.overthehorse.com/cats-f-jellicle-cat

But if you found the movie dull as fuck, you're probably not gonna wanna read that 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

No idea, but apparently...

https://www.overthehorse.com/cats-f-jellicle-cat

But if you found the movie dull as fuck, you're probably not gonna wanna read that 

Thanks for that, it sort of makes sense in a nonsensical way 🙂

So my thoughts that they were some wierd cat cult or tribe that once a year sacrificed one of their own, so Judi Dench could have an extra layer to her fur coat was not that far off.

The winning/losing cat depending on your point of view gets killed and skined to make Old Deuteronomys coat. The cats eat the rest at their ball and the spirit of the dead cat gets to go to the heavyside layer/heaven etc.

It does look like Old Dut is wearing a cat fur coat which  just adds to the general weirdness. 

Memory is the stand out tune from Cats and I do like Elaine Paige version. The song stands out as if it should have been in another musical.

Jennifer Hudsons version in the film is also spellbinding and the two times she sung it were the only parts of the film I enjoyed.

Saw it Friday. It’s bad.

i knew nothing of the original really but it felt like the ridiculous plot was the worlds best kept secret. The play was on Broadway/ West End for 20 years was it? And all I ever heard was it was a classic and not some non-sensical shit where people in weird costumes sing songs that introduce every character until one gets sent of as some ritual sacrifice.

With that to contend with I almost feel sorry for Tom Hooper for having to translate that to the screen. He did a bad job but it was clearly an uphill battle. There are still no real excuses for the dance routines to be cut to ribbons though or the weird horny costumes or just the ugly look and setting. Or Rebel Wilson making awful cat puns. 

Memories was a belter though and as someone already said sounds like it’s from another better musical. 

I can see it getting a cult following as a fun bad movie to watch in the years to come. It is a true oddity if nothing else. And Ian McKellen absolutely gives it his all and it’s brilliant to see.

2/5