6 Music Festival 2020

Jon F

20 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

When I was a teen at school, "Bombay Bicycle Club" were often the punchline to many a joke. I'm still not convinced that they're anything more than a joke

That's a bit of harsh. I've really enjoyed their last few albums and they've been good live when I've seen them. 

Probably not enough overall to get me to travel for it unfortunately. Michael Kiwanuka would be a big draw but I'm seeing him in Leeds anyway. 

13 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

They will sell quickly but it will be their 7th London show in 8 weeks. At least they'll be well practised by that point.

They are going for it 😊

I wonder if they will end up on some of the London festival line ups.

1 hour ago, retromoz said:

types a man.

So what? Am I not allowed an opinion?  Men have been excluding women for years. It’s wrong and needs to change.

Primavera Sound this year has with no fanfare put out a 50/50 split of gender. A mature approach. 

Having a women-only day however is fighting sexism with sexism. 

9 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I’m not really sure I get the rationale behind this festival. Surely seeing most of these acts in London is pretty easy anyway? 

None of the acts are ever a particular rarity but it's just mutually beneficial for both the bands and 6music. It's a promo exercise more than anything. It takes over their entire station and feels like an event, so it's good for listener figures, gets the band on the radio and generally cements 6music as The Place To Be, a trustworthy voice, etc etc if you are into music like this.

11 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

None of the acts are ever a particular rarity but it's just mutually beneficial for both the bands and 6music. It's a promo exercise more than anything. It takes over their entire station and feels like an event, so it's good for listener figures, gets the band on the radio and generally cements 6music as The Place To Be, a trustworthy voice, etc etc if you are into music like this.

I was wondering the same. Your explanation makes sense. I’m surprised the festival sells so well, shows the power of having a radio station behind you. 

26 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I get it from the bands perspective but surely the BBC are missing a PR trick by doing it in a London this time. Also if I was a London punter I’m not sure I could be bothered with jumping through hoops to go to this. If I was in a regional city though this would be amazing. 

56 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So what? Am I not allowed an opinion?  Men have been excluding women for years. It’s wrong and needs to change.

Primavera Sound this year has with no fanfare put out a 50/50 split of gender. A mature approach. 

Lol they specially promoted it as a new thing last year.

3 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I get it from the bands perspective but surely the BBC are missing a PR trick by doing it in a London this time. Also if I was a London punter I’m not sure I could be bothered with jumping through hoops to go to this. If I was in a regional city though this would be amazing. 

It's been in regional cities previous years (Liverpool, Glasgow, Bristol). Maybe there were just more bands and venues available in London around this particular time. I don't think it matters too much – the whole thing gets broadcasted and has an online presence.

It's a weird 'festival' because everything's separately ticketed but I've had a nice time when I've been before and it seems to sell alright considering.

56 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Absolutely bang-on. 

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

It's a line up to commemorate international women's Day, which is the same day as that gig. What is wrong with that? The shit women put up with on a DAILY basis, are you seriously upset about a female only line up of an international day?!? 

I despair...

17 minutes ago, retromoz said:

It's a line up to commemorate international women's Day, which is the same day as that gig. What is wrong with that? The shit women put up with on a DAILY basis, are you seriously upset about a female only line up of an international day?!? 

I despair...

Keep despairing then.

I’m against a female only line up on that or any day, yes.

I’d be against a male only line up on that or any day, equally. 

What possible reason is there to ever segregate by gender when gender has nothing to do with ability?

• Upvote 1