6 Music Festival 2020

Jon F

I recall them flogging tickets this year right up to the day. But it did seem very expensive for what essentially was a series of gigs with no massive Depeche Mode style big hitters.  You could have seen most of the bands at any mid size festival over the summer.  I remember saying at the time that it needed a rethink, and maybe doing safe in London will give them the opportunity to do that. 

4 hours ago, Jon F said:

I went to the one in Gatshead and it was great - one ticket per day and three stages all in same venue.  It's less enticing (and less of a festival as opposed to just buying a ticket for a gig) in the new format.

Completely agree. I've done the Manchester, Gateshead and Liverpool editions, with Gateshead being significantly better than the other two. Manchester was also in one venue, but their were a few teething problems. Liverpool this year was an awkward combination of very scattered venues, a fairly uninspiring lineup, average sound and expensive ticket prices. I'm hoping for a return to form in Camden and would imagine they'll have to offer something different to the myriad similar events held in close proximity.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a look at tour dates, I could see Bombay Bicycle Club playing this.

Bombay are seemingly playing a lot of shows, big and small, on this run. They have time off from 12/02 to 15/03, and given they are quite 6 Music-y (played the festival in 2014) and playing a bunch of club shows, they could fit another one in.

The acts that 6 Music might actually seek are Fontaines D.C. (their AOTY, playing Brixton in late Feb), Brittany Howard (on the AOTY list, starts a UK tour on the 7th March) and pretty much anyone off their Albums to Look Forward To list

It seems that many aspects of the beeb are under concerted pressure to keep costs down, including repeated threats by the current government.

I suspect that this is one of the events which had to keep a stringent cap on the costs to be able to continue. 

As someone who was delighted to have attended the one they did in Bristol, I'd certainly favour them cutting their cloth to suit if that's what they have to do when ****s are still running the world :) 

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

How much damage was done to Koko? Presumably it was due to be one of the venues. 

Don't know but looks bad.

It was due to open 'Spring 2020' so highly doubt they were planning to use it anyway, given risk of it not being ready in time for first week of March

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 2:01 PM, finn_with_1_n said:

Having a look at tour dates, I could see Bombay Bicycle Club playing this.

Bombay are seemingly playing a lot of shows, big and small, on this run. They have time off from 12/02 to 15/03, and given they are quite 6 Music-y (played the festival in 2014) and playing a bunch of club shows, they could fit another one in.

The acts that 6 Music might actually seek are Fontaines D.C. (their AOTY, playing Brixton in late Feb), Brittany Howard (on the AOTY list, starts a UK tour on the 7th March) and pretty much anyone off their Albums to Look Forward To list

Wasn't paying 100% attention but pretty sure I just heard Liz Kershaw drop a big hint that Brittany Howard will be involved: "I wonder what she's doing on the 8th?". And your other guesses sound very plausible. Excellent detective work!