John Fruiscante rejoining RHCP

Madyaker

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I think the question is more why are they massively inconsistent live? Seen both extremes over the years. When they're off they're absolutely but dreadful but when they nail it...

Also, kudos for the use of arse biscuits.  A favourite old phrase of mine :D

I guess that two sided view gives me hope at least :) Third time lucky?

Any time me old china :) 

3 hours ago, Bisque said:

If this John. Is so revered as a guitarist, why is he joining RHCP?

Like them or not, the Chili Peppers are all about expressing themselves freely. Frusciante is a very expressive guitar player, and they fit well together. His departure came at the end of 2 and half years of near constant touring, burning them out, and you get the sense he didn't like having his life dictated by being in a big band like that.

RHCP are my favourite band, seen them 3 times with John and 5 times with Josh.

I must admit when I heard the news I thought it was fake. I saw an interview with John from this summer, he looked healthy and happy but never expected to see him return to RHCP. He hasn't seemingly played a guitar in public for years now and his solo releases went completely into the realm of electronica I guess you'd call it.

I get what people say about RHCP being hit or miss live, I was at Reading Festival in 07 right before Leeds which was his final gig with the band until this point. They played London in 2016 but Anthony had a really bad case of the flu so they weren't that strong that night. Sometimes their choice in setlist makes the gig feel like a miss. However Hyde Park, Reading Fest, Knebworth and in Manchester Arena, I've seen them have some amazing performances. Been lucky enough to see John three times and no doubt will find a way to see him in 2020 if he's back for a limited or full time return.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I wonder what’s he been at since he disappeared in 2009(?) last time he went on a heroin bender for a few years and basically had to learn how to play again. 

He released multiple albums, EP's and experimental releases, multiple releases a year on some occasions though that had slowed down in recent years.

1 hour ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Used to love RHCP in my teens, saw them twice in 2011 but would firmly put myself in the 'grown out of them' category, the return of Frusciante makes it interesting though as I never got to see him live 

Might be worth revisiting.  I thought I'd grown out of The Cure decades ago, but they were my highlight of 2019's festival - in no small part fuelled by the 17 year old inside me.

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can someone explain this idea of growing out of a band to me please?  Something I've never really understood.

There’s a lot of stuff from my youth that I still love to hear and that, to my ears, has stood the test of time, but I was also really in to a lot of pretty dire metalcore (Bullet for my Valentine and that kind of stuff) which now sounds like utter shite to me.

RHCP were one of my favourite bands as a teen but any time I get the fleeting desire to stick on one of their albums these days I get a couple of songs in at best and then precede to turn it off. Just doesn’t fill that hole that it used to, I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There’s a lot of stuff from my youth that I still love to hear and that, to my ears, has stood the test of time, but I was also really in to a lot of pretty dire metalcore (Bullet for my Valentine and that kind of stuff) which now sounds like utter shite to me.

RHCP were one of my favourite bands as a teen but any time I get the fleeting desire to stick on one of their albums these days I get a couple of songs in at best and then precede to turn it off. Just doesn’t fill that hole that it used to, I suppose. 

OK that makes sense, as much about changing taste as anything else.

I suppose the bit I never get is the idea / implication that music of a certain band or genre is suitable to be enjoyed by people of a certain age only, and that you grow out of it in that sense.

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can someone explain this idea of growing out of a band to me please?  Something I've never really understood.

When I was a kid I loved Busted. I was heavily influenced by the other kids at school who all loved Busted.

When I was in secondary school, I loved Kid Cudi and Lupe Fiasco.

Now I love The Beatles/The Who/Beach Boys.

I guess as you get older more music becomes widely available. When I was a kid I probably had 4 or 5 albums. At school I had an iPod (and a computer with a lot of Limeware viruses).

Nowadays I sit in work and listen to Spotify so I have so many options available to me, hence my changing musical tastes!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Aye maybe ‘my taste changed’ is a better way of wording it, was into a lot of the standard kerrang and scuzz stuff in mid secondary school, then later in school and onto college moved into more indie type stuff, and eventually just realised there much better music out there! 

Occasionally revisit then but just doesn’t hold up, excluding maybe a few tracks from By the Way