• Conservatives
    • Green Party
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • SNP
    • UKIP
    • Other

15 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Apparently this happened in '82 ( before I was born). It took 15 years to win another election.

Its very easy to say "never coming back".

Things must change. Thats a fact. 

Never is impossible to predict.

Video is a few years old, but you get the idea

It isn't as bad as everybody thinks. The swings in recent election have been ridiculous, it could easily swing back Labour's way.

Centrism lost the argument in 2010. Miliband was a compromise between centre and centre left and lost again in 2015. That was a far worse outcome, he had 5 years during the calamitous Cameron coalition unencumbered by the Brexit debate and not having been slagged off by half the party since his first day, including having to defeat a vote of no confidence.

But whatever else was in play, this election was mainly about Brexit. Since that fateful day we all woke up on the farm to people in neighbouring tents saying 'for fucks sake, i don't believe it', thats the only thing that has really mattered. Now that issue has been put to bed I think Labour can bounce back.

Lisa Nandy would be my pick for leader from the current selection. My local MP so a bit biased but is the only candidate I can think of who might be acceptable to both momentum and non momentum factions and I think she'd appeal in the places that Labour struggled this time around. The only blot on her copy paper for momentum is that she rebelled and resigned from the shadow cabinet in the early days of Corbyn's tenure. I wasn't happy with that myself at the time, I thought it was a careerist band wagon jumping dick move but she has avoided slagging off Corbyn and in fact has defended the manifesto which will help her. Lets wait and see!

In the meantime, how about another, far more enjoyable Gang of Four (who incidentally have announced a festival in July next year - would like to see em at Glastonbury - albeit the lineup is much changed from the original I think):

Edited by mattiloy
edit

3 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Centrism lost the argument in 2010? There was a coalition between Cameron who was pretty similar to Blair, and the Lib Dem’s. What’s centrist if that’s not?

I remember the lib dem's manifesto was quite popular and mainly thanks to policies that would be deemed 'far left' by centrists - scrapping uni fees, scrapping trident, banking levy, wealth tax, illegal immigrant amnesty.

The tory manifesto, if I remember correctly, was mainly to reduce immigration, implement austerity with cuts to local authorities cuts to be replaced by 'the big society'. I still think that smells centre right, despite whatever fluff was added besides.

The whole offering was uninspiring. But there was also a rejection of the labour party and that edition of the party was centrist. There was also a rejection of centrism this time represented by the lib dem's capitulation. Centrism doesn't get to have another pop, and it won't get another pop, the party membership votes for the leader, and it isn't centrist.

It is quite interesting to see how opposition supporters are treated in this forum.

On a similar vein,  my son is taking part in a social experiment.

He has to wear a Tory rosette on his shirt for 2 weeks to see how people react.

So far he has been spat at, punched and verbally abused.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he leaves the house.

Edited by uscore
  • Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, uscore said:

It is quite interesting to see how opposition supporters are treated in this forum.

On a similar vein,  my son is taking part in a social experiment.

He has to wear a Tory rosette on his shirt for 2 weeks to see how people react.

So far he has been spat at, punched and verbally abused.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he leaves the house.

Upvote for the comedy not any of the other things :) 

27 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'm not sure it's right to be calling the guy who took us out the EU a centrist to be honest. It being the most radical nationalist thing our government has done of late.

He didn't expect the result we got though, did he? 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

No but he offered the referendum. He opened the door. He might not have wanted it himself but he still did it.

Same as Labour has to deal with it's internal politics, so does the leader of the tory party. It doesn't necessarily look sensible to people on the outside, and it also doesn't mean it'd be the leader's choice in a perfect world either.

And the libdems and Labour had both put out manifestos within the previous decade that also included an EU referendum, and the Greens supported a ref too - so i don't think you can claim wanting a ref to be owned by either the left or the right.

And he opened a battle he thought he was going to win - a battle that just about everyone thought he was going to win. It looks far more reckless in hindsight than it did at the time.

15 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet https://www.nme.com/news/music/could-jarvis-cockers-running-the-world-be-this-years-christmas-number-1-2587752. I agree with the sentiment (although I don't agree that an important part of the female anatomy should be the worst insult in the English language).

I've always thought boob to be a great insult

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

People need to give Corbyn a break - turns out there was a very good reason for the defeat out of his control 

also, Why doesn’t he just use his powers to get a second ref too?!

43626B65-049A-4B6C-B06F-07587AC5402A.jpeg

ah so its Israeli interference rather than Russian??? (in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires)

Image result for We’re through the looking glass, here, people

• Upvote 2

One thing I think would benefit us all in social media land, is to stop finding the very worst tweets or posts from the "opposition" and suggesting they are representative of that particular group. It doesn't matter whether that group is the Tories, Corbynistas, Blairites, or even a rival football team.

That someone on the opposite side to you is an idiot, or is abusive, doesn't necessarily make your argument more correct.  There are idiots everywhere.

People from all flavours of the political spectrum do this. They show all the replies to something they say, and go "look at what this group of people are like".  It's a tactic used by so many popular people on twitter, from Owen Jones, to Rachel Riley, to Katie Hopkins. (And yes, aren't you clever if you don't like any of the people in my example before you @ me, there are plenty of others).

If you only look for the very worst in the opposition, you'll easily find it on social media, regardless of what angle you are looking from. And you''ll only trap yourself further in your bubble.

• Upvote 4