• Conservatives
    • Green Party
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • SNP
    • UKIP
    • Other

9 minutes ago, festhead said:

Can't really disagree with this in my view.

Labour decided to appeal to the minorities with policies that most of the majority can see straight through (as garbage to sway votes, not achievable, reckless and potentially economically paralysing for the country). At the same time as alienating the majority by fence sitting on the biggest pain point in the country.. Brexit. We can see how that strategy played out as its lost them long term strongholds and broke the so called 'red wall' in the north.

it was completely arrogant and clearly fatal of them to disregard how many of their own voters, voted out in the referendum. therefore forcing them in to other parties. 

we live in a democracy, and that means respecting a vote and neither Labour or Lid Dems were willing to do that - That cost them, hard.

Spot on treacle. Corbyn has scored an own goal effectively. Literally pushing out people to vote against him who are usually labour voters.

I think this has proven that this country can't be trusted with nice things, free healthcare? Nah f**k that I'll vote for a party that wants to sell it off systematically. 

Blyth another example- Miner town hit by Tory cuts which forced a job centre to close down in a town that is struggling with unemployment but yes we will vote Tory so you can keep punching me in the face cos actually I like it and I want a blue passport for a holiday that I won't be able to afford.

Idiots. Every single 1 of them. F**k this country. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I think this has proven that this country can't be trusted with nice things, free healthcare? Nah f**k that I'll vote for a party that wants to sell it off systematically. 

Blyth another example- Miner town hit by Tory cuts which forced a job centre to close down in a town that is struggling with unemployment but yes we will vote Tory so you can keep punching me in the face cos actually I like it and I want a blue passport for a holiday that I won't be able to afford.

Opinions and hate like this are exactly why people have turned their back on the Labour Party and find them totally un-electable. 

People telling others their votes do not count and are wrong.

we live in a democracy get used to others voting in ways in which you do not agree. Fool

Edited by festhead
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

u k hun?

Edited by Barry Trotter

8 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I don't get why everyone's getting so mad about the NHS tbh, its never going to be fully privatised, and that's definitely not happening under one single administration

1 minute ago, festhead said:

Opinions and hate like this is exactly why people have turned their back on the Labour Party and find them totally un-electable. 

People telling others there votes do not count and are wrong.

we live in a democracy get used to others voting in ways in which you do not agree. Fool

Nothing foolish from me. I'm just not a selfish c**t who voted for his own benefit. I voted thinking of other people. 

1 minute ago, festhead said:

I fully accept this result. But I can't accept the referendum result that was based on a lie. A less than 2% swing and we'd have had a different result. £350m on the bus along with other proven and accepted lies influenced more than 2%. Since the referendum, remain has consistently been ahead in the polls. We should have the democratic right to vote again based on better quality information - I believe that's all we "remoaners" want - we'd accept the result if Leave won.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

you'll afford that holiday more now the pounds strengthened pal 

16 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am gob smacked at that. Did your area vote to leave? My sister has just moved to Heywood and I havd been contemplating moving up there. Don't think I will bother.

Thankfully Manchester came through again. Total Labour landslide yet again.

Yeah. Massive leave area. I am in a minority. Brexit has never been an issue for me. Which makes this feel so Alien to me.

4 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I fully accept this result. But I can't accept the referendum result that was based on a lie. A less than 2% swing and we'd have had a different result. £350m on the bus along with other proven and accepted lies influenced more than 2%. Since the referendum, remain has consistently been ahead in the polls. We should have the democratic right to vote again based on better quality information - I believe that's all we "remoaners" want - we'd accept the result if Leave won.

Essentially last night was a Brexit referendum the leavers were galvanised to Tory as the only party to promise Brexit. The remain vote was so split and hence with a first past the post system completely failed.

My concern now though is that in future elections if anyone runs under the flag of another referendum regardless of what other policies they have the leavers will do the same and rally under the Tories.

8 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

Watching from afar, i still can't believe advanced democracies still have first past the post voting. How can you declare winners in electorates when more people have voted against the winner than for.

I don’t understand it either. And literally nobody is talking about changing it. If they had proportional representation Cameron would have never called the referendum in the first place. It needs to be number one on the agenda once brexit is put to bed. Any system that results in a left vs right two party setup is a total disaster. Our politicians might not be the most dynamic but they are good honest people, mostly. We’ve had a minority government for several years now. I’m so glad we don’t have this left / right divide in Ireland and I hope it never takes hold. 

Edited by Madyaker

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I don’t understand it either. And literally nobody is talking about changing it. If they had proportional representation Cameron would have never called the vote in the first place. It’s needs to be number one on the agenda once brexit is put to bed. Any system that results in a left vs right two party setup is a total disaster. Our politicians might not be the most dynamic but they are good honest people, mostly. We’ve had a minority government for several years now. I’m so glad we don’t have this left / right divide in Ireland and I hope it never takes hold. 

Can you explain this? I don't fully understand it. Isn't the winning point 325 seats, which is a majority. How can the other party then get more? 

10 minutes ago, mike86 said:

Can you explain this? I don't fully understand it. Isn't the winning point 325 seats, which is a majority. How can the other party then get more? 

No party was able to form a coalition either on their own or with a smaller party/indys so instead the two largest parties entered into a confidence and supply agreement. Basically this means that the government don’t have a majority but the second largest party agrees to vote with them allowing them to pass legislation. The two parties in question are arch rivals which makes this quite impressive imo. That said while they have handled brexit well they’ve been less impressive on the domestic front. 

Edited by Madyaker

25 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Nothing foolish from me. I'm just not a selfish c**t who voted for his own benefit. I voted thinking of other people. 

you should explain statements like this if you are going to be so offensive. 

people have a right to vote the way they choose - looking at yesterdays results, the vast majority who voted tory are not the type of people that you are trying to tarnish them as. 

This is the type of rhetoric peddled out that has turned a lot of labour voters away from the part (I;'m talking about the right and reasons for voting out). consistently being told across social media that they are stupid, thick or that their votes do not count unless it conforms with this Corbynister view. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, festhead said:

Opinions and hate like this are exactly why people have turned their back on the Labour Party and find them totally un-electable. 

People telling others their votes do not count and are wrong.

Completely agree. These sorts of attitudes are EXACTLY why this has happened. 

26 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I don’t understand it either. And literally nobody is talking about changing it. If they had proportional representation Cameron would have never called the referendum in the first place. It needs to be number one on the agenda once brexit is put to bed. Any system that results in a left vs right two party setup is a total disaster. Our politicians might not be the most dynamic but they are good honest people, mostly. We’ve had a minority government for several years now. I’m so glad we don’t have this left / right divide in Ireland and I hope it never takes hold. 

It's in the gift of the government to change it, and after the result it delivered last night, why would they?  Clegg had a go when in coalition, with AV, and nobody bought it.

13 minutes ago, festhead said:

you should explain statements like this if you are going to be so offensive. 

people have a right to vote the way they choose - looking at yesterdays results, the vast majority who voted tory are not the type of people that you are trying to tarnish them as. 

This is the type of rhetoric peddled out that has turned a lot of labour voters away from the part (I;'m talking about the right and reasons for voting out). consistently being told across social media that they are stupid, thick or that their votes do not count unless it conforms with this Corbynister view. 

I don't have to explain my statements, I simply don't agree with that way of thinking/voting. That is my right and it is also my right to think that it is a selfish way of voting. 

Ps I am far from a Corbynister/ta. I just voted any way I could to not let a born liar, islamophobic, homophobic, racist twat become prime minister and unfortunately he has done so anyway.