discoveries of 2019

MrKrabs42

Thought of this when considering my albums of the year... which bands/albums have you been hooked on this year?

early in the year i discovered that stranger things dude's band, Post Animal. was really digging the jams they were putting out

really enjoyed the album releases in the spring. billie eilish, anderson paak, king gizz, chemical brothers. 

I've been in a Tool hole since the summer. spent months listening to just one album at a time and got right into Fear Inoculum

Managed to see Tenacious D twice in a week during June and rode that wave for a long while. 

how about you guys? 

First one that springs to mind is Michael Kiwanuka, hadn´t listened to him before his latest album but it´s barely been off my Spotify since it was released. 

And although I´d heard of them before I only properly got into Big Thief with UFOF, hooked on them by the time Two Hands rolled around. 

In terms of new bands / artists I'd not come across or got round to listening to before, there's been loads.  Been a really good year for that.

Bat For Lashes, Cigarettes After Sex, Friendly Fires, IDER, Girli, Mammoth Penguins, Red Rum Club, Richard Hawley, Sacred Paws, She Drew The Gun, Sigrid have all had a fair bit of time in my ears.

Also got to see some great bands live for the first time this year (outside of Glastonbury or I'll be here all day :lol: ). Wood Burning Savages, IDLES, Bedouin Soundclash, Peaness, Bug Eye were all great.

You know this has been - excuse me - a damn fine year of music :)

16 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Tourist, mainly thanks to @nikkic on the New Music Thread.

Gone from never hearing of him to being my top Spotify album of the year.

Fuck, that's a great shout. He was my 'discovered artist' in my Spotify wrapped actually. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i have discovered a lot of great stuff this year thanks to my discovery of the truly fantastic Rootikal radio show (big up TKZ and Uli).

the thing that probably sticks out most is Nazamba - the first time i heard "the Hills" on Rootikal it was insane, and the album is great... 

sort of like a Prince Far I vibe.

11 hours ago, nicnzl said:

This year I discovered the "go to first unread post" button thanks to someone in the headliners thread, and it's been a real life changer

:) thanks for that didn't even know there was one till you said, now I have just found it. Will save huge amount of time at work!

11 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i have discovered a lot of great stuff this year thanks to my discovery of the truly fantastic Rootikal radio show (big up TKZ and Uli).

the thing that probably sticks out most is Nazamba - the first time i heard "the Hills" on Rootikal it was insane, and the album is great... 

sort of like a Prince Far I vibe.

so good! The Hills / Dub - OBF mixes were on my spotify top played

Discovered a tonne of new bands that aren't worth listing, the best discovery made this year for me though was Dan Carey's label Speedy Wunderground which has been going for years now. They get new artists, give them a day to record a song, then spend the next day mixing it and release it on a 7". Helped Squid, Black Midi and Black Country, New Road lift off a bit further and introduced me to a bunch of people like Sinead O Brien (who I find insanely hypnotic in a good way) and Lazarus Kane (who produces interviews that are as good as his music). Ended up buying their year 4 collection when it came out last week, looking forward to seeing whats next as the whole thing seems to be getting a bit more traction from what I've read.

This is the single she put out on SW, I might actually prefer the next single A Thing You Call Joy though.