Sam Fender, ill again

anditmakesmesmile

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

True to an extent - but the cover never goes off as much as say 'Mr Brightside' or 'All These Things That I've Done'.

Not sure I'd bother if I was him for the sake of 1 extra song. A bloke in the toilet queue after said "that was great, there is a reason why they call him The Boss". Seems a shame for Sam Fender that this is a lot of peoples lasting impression looking back after the gig. 

You sound like you have strange hatred of covers haha :D 

Any positive lasting impression means he is doing something right. The kid is new and is going down well.

p.s. every time I have seen the Killers live people have always gone away talking more about the cover than anything else... we have heard Mr Brightside a gazillion times... covers are often out of the blue and give us something new to talk about. 

2 hours ago, Chef said:

True to an extent - but the cover never goes off as much as say 'Mr Brightside' or 'All These Things That I've Done'.

Not sure I'd bother if I was him for the sake of 1 extra song. A bloke in the toilet queue after said "that was great, there is a reason why they call him The Boss". Seems a shame for Sam Fender that this is a lot of peoples lasting impression looking back after the gig. 

Not sure why you bothered going to Brixton if you don't seem to be a fan?

I've not heard anyone praise his covers over his own music, covers are always an unexpected bonus at a gig so go down well. He's clearly a very talented songwriter and in my experience the crowds know all of own his songs word for word. 

5 hours ago, Chef said:

I've seen a number of times with Sam Fender people mention how good his live covers are more than his own music. 

He did Dancing in the Dark on Tuesday - got the best response of the night from the crowd by some way. 

I'd say that wasn't even in the top five for reactions in Liverpool, where he was fucking great.

• 1 month later...

My only gripe with this is I follow Sam and O2 Bristol on twitter and neither accounts have announced this. I find it out here...

That said, I don't have a ticket, but was planning on heading down there tonight and taking a chance. Bu the time the rescheduled gig rolls around (May 14) all the festival dates will be in the books, so likely see him sometime over the summer.

Feel sorry for him, he really has had bad luck with his health these last few months.

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

My only gripe with this is I follow Sam and O2 Bristol on twitter and neither accounts have announced this. I find it out here...

It was all over twitter, it was trending, so I guess if you don’t look at top 10 trending you wouldn’t have known.

No excuse however unless he really is hospitalised.

Going to go there, he looks a bit of a Pete Doherty type...

Feel sorry for the fans regardless, spunking travel & hotels to be told that late (again) must be a real kick.

• Downvote 2

On 1/31/2020 at 8:35 PM, Bisque said:

Going to go there, he looks a bit of a Pete Doherty type...

So you’re suggesting he’s not ill, he’s actually a drug addict? 

Gigs being cancelled sucks for fans but I’m sure he’s not enjoying having to repeatedly let people down at such a vital point in his career. Actual fans would probably be more concerned about his health than losing out on the cost of a train ticket. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bisque said:

If he was ill then cancel earlier. Say a cold, then your fucked all day, if it’s vocals as a singer then a doctor would write you off early too.

My thoughts exactly. By all means he's human, and I know damn right if I was ill as a performer I would cancel. But to keep doing it last minute. He claims tonsillitis. That doesn't come on an hour before the show. People had already travelled so there's no blaming them for being annoyed, especially with radio silence from the band and venue/promoters in the lead up.

He clearly needs rest. These rescheduled shows are way too soon following his previous cancellations if you ask me considering it's regarding his vocal chords. I'm not getting my hopes up for the March shows.

He needs to rest a bit more between gigs, it’s quite a relentless schedule for someone with obvious health problems, two consecutive nights in Glasgow barrowland could easily be one night in a bigger venue. Whether it’s his choice or his manager or record company deciding this schedule they all need to consider his long term health. He has enough talent to ensure longevity in the business if he protects his voice. 

2 hours ago, D-Low said:

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks. I mean if it’s a prolonged illness, don’t be a dick & just be up front about it. We all get ill. I’ve done jobs where I was constantly catching bugs (cabin crew & teacher) so didn’t want to let colleagues down... let alone 1,000’s of fans so call in early. It might be more complicated if your a musician but best rest yourself than damage yourself. It’s the only reason I mentioned the Pete Doherty look alike thing.

He suffered a life-threatening illness aged 20, which he has not disclosed the details of for fear of being seen as a sympathy case.

I imagine the cancellations are related to it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/sam-fender-interview-hypersonic-missiles-new-album-a9097611.html

8 hours ago, Bisque said:

See twitter mate.

edit: you’re not my mate but you know what I mean.

I just don’t think you can class anyone who takes to social media to slag off any artist for being ill a true fan. Gigs are never cancelled lightly, think about all the people who are losing out on work too, you don’t see them ranting online. 

You can’t just imply he’s cancelling gigs due to substance abuse just because he’s a male singer in his 20s. In the end no artist owes anyone their health.