The Lancashire Hotpots

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Not there this year, or ever, here is a conversation thread I had with them. Seems a shame as they would fill the hole to a certain extent that the loss of Jolly Jock and Biggles has had on Croissant Neuf?

Annotation 2019-12-10 183310.jpg

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/232504-acts-ruled-out-of-glastonbury-2020/

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thought this probably deserved it's own thread as it is the closest you can have to Glastonbury legends Biggles to a certain extent and the fact they have mentioned they will not be there suggests some discussion as happened as opposed to them just being in Belgium for Glastonbury weekend.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Wasn't 2 Hats in T' 'Otpots?

Briefly, in 2009.

I ask them every year of they're playing, they say Glastonbury is one of the hardest to get gigs at. That's why I'm usually disappointed to see so quite many regulars on the lineup when there are clearly plenty of other acts around who can put on a good show. Avalon is the worst for this.

• Like 1

One Hotpot Two Hats....I’m impressed!

One of our old gang, who was always a little bit too much into the festival spirit, came one year and claimed he’d just seen the best gig of his life, The Lancashire Hotpots, and despite ridicule and argument he stuck with it. To this day I’m still not sure if he meant it but I think he probably did. 

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Briefly, in 2009.

I ask them every year of they're playing, they say Glastonbury is one of the hardest to get gigs at. That's why I'm usually disappointed to see so quite many regulars on the lineup when there are clearly plenty of other acts around who can put on a good show. Avalon is the worst for this.

You are totally right.  There’s a lot of “who you know” still at work, which accounts for the number of bands who are pretty much guaranteed the same slots every year. 

A lot of the people running the smaller stages programme stages at other festivals, run their own small festivals or book live music venues, and it’s quite common that in order to get a Glastonbury slot a band will be asked to play for a reduced fee at another festival or do the bookers a favour and play certain pubs and venues cheaply to help get their slot. 

This is pretty well known and some bands are totally ok with it, it’s a freebie for Glastonbury after all.  But there are some bands who simply won’t get booked, or who find it a lot harder than others.  My old band used to play almost every year and played the game quite happily because the Glastonbury crowds are the best there are.

I have some friends who are in a parody band, similar to the Hotpots, and despite being not only very funny but also good musicians [a rarity in the genre] they don’t have a prayer of getting booked.  There’s a lot of rivalry on the parody circuit and only really room for one parody band!

edited: spelling mistake

Edited by Minilla
spelling mistake

There are a number of smaller stages that will happily put your band on but you'll probably be expected to play for free and you'll have to get yourself into the festival by some other means. There are also some stages that seem to rely solely on putting on acts that are already at the festival and got their gear and can play a gig for nowt. I played a few sets last year, helping my friends' band out, when they had managed to secure some gigs before the festival but only got tickets in the resale, there are 5 in the band but were only 4 were able to get tickets so I had to learn to play the double bass in a month so I could play with them. They didn't get tickets in October either so now they are trying some mad ideas to get gig slots as they have realised that the chance of getting resale tickets is going to be pretty slim. They are friends with some of the regular acts but that doesn't seem to be any help in getting them tickets as performers.

Edited by Johnnyseven
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Not there this year, or ever

Good, they're awful! (coming from a born and bread Lancastrian, also, they're from Merseyside not Lancashire)

They've done a song about Preston North End, the fans have asked the club to stop playing it before games as its so awful and embarrassing

1 hour ago, prestonmike said:

Good, they're awful! (coming from a born and bread Lancastrian, also, they're from Merseyside not Lancashire)

They've done a song about Preston North End, the fans have asked the club to stop playing it before games as its so awful and embarrassing

I'm also from Lancashire and they're not awful.  They're fun.