It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times - 2010 to 2019 Albums & Tracks of The Decade

SwedgeAntilles

OK, albums was easier than I thought and it was nice to listen to all of these in full...

Albums

1 - Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

2 - Father John Misty - Fear Fun

3 - The National - High Violet

4 - Surfjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

5 - Advance Base - Nephew in the Wild

6 - Charli XCX - Sucker

7 - Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

8 -Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

9 - Car Seat Headrest - Commit Yourself Completely (live)

10 - Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Best/most consistent output all decade w/o having an album on this list  - St Vincent (Strange Mercy, St Vincent, Masseduction)

I Wish I Had More Than 10 - 

Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell, Sun Kil Moon - Benji, The National - Trouble Will Find Me,  Grimes - Art Angels, Death Grips - The Money Store, LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening, First Aid Kit - The Lions Roar, Chvrches - Love is Dead, Chemical Brothers - Born in the Echoes, Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2, Big Thief - Capacity

Not even a chance of me doing this.  I bounce around between music so much I genuinely have no coherent view of it.  Happy to outsource my list to @SwedgeAntilles as previously discussed, although I would like a chance to veto any albums or tracks I personally think are dross ;)

The main takeaway for me this decade (or at least the second half) has been how much my own musical taste has expanded. Pre-2010 it would have been really easy to pick out, if not albums and tracks, then certainly artists and genres. These days it's all over the place, and I put that down to a combination of getting a streaming service subscription, starting going to Glastonbury, and discovering this place. 

I've had some specific recommendations on here, but while some of the stuff you people listen to is clearly shit the number of artists that are talked about, video clips that are shared, tour dates that are flagged up and general musical discussion, it's really made me broaden my horizons.

It's a bit cheesy, but I honestly owe this place and the efests crowd a huge amount. My musical tastes and magpie interests have meant that music is never really something that has been a common thread with any of my friends from school onwards. The sort of conversations and information I get here is the stuff I feel like I should have been doing 25, 30 years ago. So thank you.

And no, you've got something in your eye.

• Upvote 2

Something like this...

1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 2010 (highlights: The 9 minutes of pure brilliance that is Runaway) 
  2. Lorde - Melodrama 2017 (highlights: The Kate Bush-esque Writer In The Dark, Sober II, Supercut, Perfect Places... All of it!) 
  3. Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation 2011 (highlights: Posters, 17, July) 
  4. Lana Del Rey - NFR 2019 (highlights: Venice Bitch, California, Cinnamon Girl)
  5. Frank Ocean - blonde 2016 (highlights: Nikes, Close To You, White Ferrari)
  6. The National - High Violet 2010 (highlights: Terrible Love, Lemonworld, Conversation 16) 
  7. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die 2012 (highlights: Video Games, National Anthem, Summertime Sadness) 
  8. Taylor Swift - Red 2012 (highlights: Red, All Too Well, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together)
  9. Drake - Take Care 2011 (highlights: Headlines, Crew Love, Take Care, Marvin's Room)
  10. Bon Iver - 22, A Million 2017 (highlights: 33 God, 29 #Strafford APTS, 666ʇ)

Honourable mentions to Wu Lyf - Go Tell Fire To The Mountain, Lorde - Pure Heroine, Tame Imapala - Currents and Frank Ocean - Channel Orange.

Notes:

• MBDTF is everything a big record should be - huge features, obscure samples, punchy singles and no filler (also the last CD I ever bought alongside Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday which is not on the list...)
  • When Lorde sang I'm little but I'm coming for the crown on Pure Heroine she fucking meant it because Melodrama is literally perfect from start to finish.
  • In my opinion NFR is this years best record and a masterpiece that solidifies Lana as one of the greatest songwriters of this generation.
  • Could have easily put the If You're Reading This It's Too Late mix tape in for Take Care but that record is Drake at his very best.
Edited by jyoung

After a lot of thought my top 10 albums would look like this. It was a top 30 but I've whittled it down (in no particular order apart from number 1):

1. Fake History - letlive.
2. MBDTF - Kanye West
3. That's the Spirit - Bring Me the Horizon
4. Run the Jewels 2 - Run the Jewels
5. Volition - Protest the Hero
6. Every Open Eye - Chvrches
7. 1989 - Taylor Swift
8. The Mindsweep - Enter Shikari
9. Technology - Don Broco
10. One of Us is the Killer - Dillinger Escape Plan

Notes:

Speak to a BMTH die hard and they would probably disagree with TTS, for me it is banger after banger 
Volition is by no means Protest the Heros best work but it is of this decade and I absolutely adore that album
Struggled to pick a Chvrches album as I think all their output is incredible. Every Open Eye just clinched it for me
One of us is the Killer is a very under rated album for me. It introduced me to DEP and they are now one of my favourite bands

Kanye seems to be appearing in a lot of lists and I'm not at all surprised

4 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Man I completely forgot to put this in my list. It's in my top 10 of all time but somehow forgot about it...

Off to edit my list! 

It got a bit of buzz at the time but I can't see it getting much recognition now. It's a beautiful record. The two follow ups weren't great but we'll always have that record. I saw him live and was gutted as he only played one song from that album.

It’s crazy being reminded of albums/songs from earlier this decade when looking into what it was that shaped that period of life! Below are some of my most memorable from this decade.

Albums:

1. Tame Impala - Lonerism

2. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Mad City

3. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long See You Tomorrow

4. M83 - Hurry Up Were Dreaming

5. Drake - Take Care

6. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

7. Kanye West - MBDTF

8. Swedish House Mafia - Until Now

9. Tame Impala - Currents

10. Tyler the Creator - Goblin

Songs (in no order):

Still Corners - The Trip

Eric Prydz - Every Day

Jamie XX - Loud Places

Jon Hopkins - Luminous Beings

DJ Koze - Operator

M83 - Reunion

Miguel - Waves (Tame Impala remix)

NGHFB - You Know we cant go back 

Oxia - Domino

Rationale - The Re.up

The 1975 - Love it if we made it

Bombay Bicycle Club - Lights out words gone

Disclosure - Latch

Frank Ocean - Nature Feels

Tough but maybe something like this: (in no particular order)

Arcade Fire - Suburbs

Marika Hackman - We Slept At Last

Johnny Flynn - Been Listening

Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms

Widowspeak - Almanac

Timber Timbre - Creep on Creepin On

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Caoimhin O Raghallaigh - All Soundings Are True

Metronomy - The English Riviera

Fontaines DC - Dogrel

Some big omissions but whatever.

Songs I can’t even begin to contemplate.

This is pretty challenging for me as I am the first to admit that my taste in music is not "current" - and actually sitting down and trying to figure this out I realised that some of the acts I thought I could put on here actually released the stuff I love in 2006-9...

Still, these artists and albums have played significant parts in what has been the most challenging decade of my life so far (the bulk of university, living abroad, moving to a new city for a job, buying a house there). I am absolutely not giving this list the title of "the best" albums, as as prior stated I simply cannot attest to that due to the small sample of my listening, but these have been my favourite albums of 2010-19 (in no particular order)

Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
Emilia Amper - Lux
The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tame Impala - Currents
Taylor Swift - 1989
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
Joe Pug - Windfall

Honourable mention for my track of the decade: Mitski- "Your Best American Girl"

On 12/2/2019 at 5:11 PM, GrumpyRaver said:

I can't get my albums below a top 15...

1. Blackstar - David Bowie
2. Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant
3. I See You - The XX
4. Singularity - Jon Hopkins
5. High Violet -The National
6. St Vincent - St Vincent

7. Perpetual Motion People - Ezra Furman
8. Our Love - Caribou
9. Teen Dream - Beach House
10. Modern Vampires of the City - Vampire Weekend
11. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West

12. All That Must Be - George Fitzgerald
13. Tremors - Sohn
14. To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
15. Colours - Beck

Very tough. Couldn't even begin to conjure up at Top 10 songs list, so just picked my favourite from each album.

1. Touché Amoré - Stage Four 
    (Flowers & You)
  2. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    (Daydreaming)
  3. Idles - Joy As An Act Of Resistance
    (Samaritans)
  4. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
    (Loyalty)
  5. Tool - Fear Inoculum 
    (Pneuma)
  6. Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
    (City Song)