It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times - 2010 to 2019 Albums & Tracks of The Decade

SwedgeAntilles

By moderate demand it´s time for the ALBUMS AND TRACKS OF THE DECADE LISTS!

Here´s the plan; post your top ten albums and tracks in this thread over the next few weeks and I´ll collate the results and present the eFestivals definitive Albums and Tracks lists on Christmas Eve. For your lists to be counted they need to be in order i.e 1 to 10 so they can be rated accordingly (feel free to post ´in no particular order´ lists in here too but they won´t be counted in the final results).

If anyone needs some inspiration here´s a few of the end of decade lists from the usual lads:

Get your lists out!

797679.jpg

• Upvote 7

Ooh! I'm quite ready for this thread because I've been working for a while now on a playlist of my favorite songs of the decade (I have 560 of them and it's now just a great playlist to listen to) and I've since pulled 30 of my definite favorites from that list trying to make a top 100... so pretty easy for me to make a top 10 right now.

I do feel the last year (2019) gets kinda fucked in lists like this but I assume it gets made up for in revised lists like mid-decade from now...

I can only give 10 tracks - I don't really listen to full albums much anymore except for a few times when they first come out...

I wish I had more than 10 so I could include - 25 Bucks - Danny Brown (feat Purity Ring)

10 - 212 - Azelia Banks 
9 - Where Are We Now - David Bowie 
8 - Runaway - Kanye West (ft Pusha T)
7 - We The People - A Tribe Called Quest
6 - Real Death - Mount Eerie
5 - Jim Wise - Sun Kil Moon
4 - What We Loved Was Not Enough - Silver Mt. Zion
3 - Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales - Car Seat Headrest
2 - GMF - John Grant
1 - Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National

Most culturally impacting albums I reckon are 

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West

AM - Arctic Monkeys 

21 - Adele

To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean

Beyonce - Beyonce

Random Access Memories - Daft Punk

Blackstar - David Bowie

The Suburbs - Arcade Fire

I feel like in this decade all of this albums really shook the music scene and grabbed it by the neck. They also brought with them some signature sounds that many other artists tried to emulate. I definitely would say these are the most culturally impacting albums of the decade. I wouldn’t say they are my favourite albums (all of them) but you can root so much of 2010s music back to these releases.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Will sleep on it and post tomorrow. However that NME list is bollocks, AM album of the decade?? It’s not even the best album by that band this decade.

I think album of the decade has to also take into account what albums influenced popular culture as well as being just good.

I don’t really like AM, but you can’t deny that the album was almost stupidly inescapable at one point.

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Will sleep on it and post tomorrow. However that NME list is bollocks, AM album of the decade?? It’s not even the best album by that band this decade.

It's really weird eh? Placements are all over the shop and there's some strange omissions 

Having slept on it...

Albums (in no particular order):

• Kendrick - Good Kid Maad City
  • The National - Trouble Will Find Me
  • QOTSA - Like Clockwork
  • IDLES - Brutalism
  • Fontaines DC - Dogrel

Tracks:

• Kendrick - Swimming Pools
  • LDR - Summertime Sadness
  • Arcade Fire - Everything Now
  • Adele - Rolling in the Deep (just for that Glasto performance!)
  • The National - Pink Rabbits

Albums:

1. Björk - Vulnicura 

2. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz

3. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening 

4. Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me

5. Death Grips - The Money Store 

6. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 

7. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool 

8. Carly Rae Jepsen - EMOTION 

9. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC

10. Alvvays - Antisocialites

Songs

1. LCD Soundsystem - Home 

2. Bjork - Stonemilker

3. Kendrick Lamar - Sing about me i'm dying of thirst

4. Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

5. The National - Graceless

6. Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul

7. Grimes - Kill vs. Maim 

8. Mount Eerie - Real Death 

9. Lorde - Ribs 

10. Charli XCX - Track 10 

Doing songs was almost traumatic lol so many incredible songs had to be cut. 

• Upvote 1

Not convinced AM, RAM or The Suburbs has much of a lasting cultural impact mind, @Matt42 lad!! Wouldn’t argue with the rest.

Doesnt fit in with this list at all but if you’re talking about albums that have influenced this decades music, you’d have to include 808’s.

Edited by Badlands

Albums:

1. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
  2. Frank Ocean - Blonde
  3. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz
  4. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
  5. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  6. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
  7. Foals - Total Life Forever
  8. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
  9. Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School
  10. Vampire Weekend - Contra

Songs:

1. Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul
  2. Los Campesinos! - By Your Hand
  3. LCD Soundsystem - Home
  4. Vampire Weekend - Diplomats Son
  5. Frank Ocean - Nikes
  6. Foals - Black Gold
  7. Neon Indian - Slumlord
  8. Kanye West - No More Parties In LA
  9. Foals - In Degrees
  10. Danny Brown - Really Doe

Albums I'm fairly happy with, maybe last two or so spots could shift around, narrowing down to 10 songs was ridiculous!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Not convinced AM, RAM or The Suburbs has much of a lasting cultural impact mind, @Matt42 lad!! Wouldn’t argue with the rest.

Doesnt fit in with this list at all but if you’re talking about albums that have influenced this decades music, you’d have to include 808’s.

Maybe it’s just the circles you interact with but I’d say all three of those albums are staple pieces of this decade. AM and RAM definitely — I’d say the suburbs is the weak one of the three!

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why not list albums you enjoy listening to the most?

oh I will eventually :P just can’t make a judgement on it now. I think it’s easier to pin point what albums I think made the biggest impact on culture throughout this decade.

The funny thing with doing that though is they are typically albums which aren’t cool to like. 

Like it or not another one I’d probably add to the mix that I haven’t seen on here yet is + by Ed Sheeran. Very much set the way for Capaldi, Ezra et all and changed what sort of music became commercially successful. 

Maybe I’m just a music geek but I like to look back on the decade and see what albums influenced changes in the music scene - and what could come next.