The Strokes?

Jack.194

Saw them at Best Kept Secret and it was great. They were late on and Julian forgot some of the words but they seemed to be having a good time which is the main thing really. Can’t believe their only show in England is Lytham. Seems so awkward to get to and not really many places to stay( At least reasonably priced).

53 minutes ago, gfa said:

All Points East 2019 pretty much perfect imo, chuck in a few of the new ones to fill the time they were late!

God knows what time they'll rock up in Lytham. Think curfew is actually eleven there, but sure there'll be aiming to get bands offstage no later than 2230.

49 minutes ago, gfa said:

comment on that yt video:

The Strokes headlined Reading and Leeds in 2002, and there is an exclusivity contract for bands that headline there which means they also can't headline Glastonbury in the same year, and vice versa. Interesting that they were booked to headline Glastonbury that year, but pulled when Reading and Leeds came knocking. Perhaps Reading has more of a cool and credible reputation among American alternative rock bands than Glastonbury does, given its history.

I'm also not sure about the argument that it's less prestigious amongst Americans when you consider that The Strokes' contemporaries such as The White Stripes, The Killers and Kings of Leon have all headlined, not to mention the abundance of other American acts that have headlined down the years.

---

100% this isn't it, got offered 20x as much probably to do r&l vs just glastonbury and took it

Back in 2002, I'd argue it probably was more prestigious to American artists? Nirvana at Reading, for example, carried a lot of history and clout down to successive generations.

I was also surprised not to see a southern date. Cannot justify a long trip up north after seeing them at Tempelhof only a few weeks ago. 

I’m sure they’ll put on a great show and Fontaines supporting is an added bonus; so enjoy to those attending. 

@gfar&l got big with American bands because Nirvana and Foo Fighters championed it. Eventually Grohl would become a bigger fan of Glastonbury.

I’m a bit surprised The Strokes get so much love / heralded as a band that could put on one of the best headline sets ever? When I’ve seen them they’ve been very mid and often boring. 

5 hours ago, Astroman said:

I'm looking forwards to Lytham, I only found out yesterday that Wet Leg and The Lounge Society have been added.

A word of warning about bar prices, they're charging £6.50 for a pint of weak Carlsberg and £6.80 for cider.

Strokes Lytham.jpg

That's the standard price this year

9 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

God knows what time they'll rock up in Lytham. Think curfew is actually eleven there, but sure there'll be aiming to get bands offstage no later than 2230.

Back in 2002, I'd argue it probably was more prestigious to American artists? Nirvana at Reading, for example, carried a lot of history and clout down to successive generations.

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

@gfar&l got big with American bands because Nirvana and Foo Fighters championed it. Eventually Grohl would become a bigger fan of Glastonbury.

I’m a bit surprised The Strokes get so much love / heralded as a band that could put on one of the best headline sets ever? When I’ve seen them they’ve been very mid and often boring. 

i was just quoting the whole message, i didn't really have an opinion on that R&L vs glasto part - sounds correct to me that reading was more significant at the time. glasto could have been more significant and they'd still have jumped ship im sure

54 minutes ago, gfa said:

That's the standard price this year

My Yorkshireman senses are tingling.

Can't see them playing much more than an hour and twenty, to be honest - but if they show up at nine and do that, I'll be delighted. Allows me to get back on the road in decent time.

NME has run an article detailing the concerns and disappointments of attendees on Twitter. By all accounts, a step down on Lytham, which wasn't frankly a supreme bar to clear in the first place.

If one of those five band members are indeed in need of help, I hope they do get it. If none of them are, then there are a limited number of excuses available - though it must be said, on the basis of Lytham, four of them are in pretty sharp nick as a group when it comes to delivering music.

Was a little taken aback by some of the virile responses from punters on social media about the young woman who sand Ode to the Mets on Friday. A lot of angry emotions directed towards her as the biggest issue of the night.

24 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

NME has run an article detailing the concerns and disappointments of attendees on Twitter. By all accounts, a step down on Lytham, which wasn't frankly a supreme bar to clear in the first place.

If one of those five band members are indeed in need of help, I hope they do get it. If none of them are, then there are a limited number of excuses available - though it must be said, on the basis of Lytham, four of them are in pretty sharp nick as a group when it comes to delivering music.

Was a little taken aback by some of the virile responses from punters on social media about the young woman who sand Ode to the Mets on Friday. A lot of angry emotions directed towards her as the biggest issue of the night.

Why? Thought that was a nice touch. I thought they sounded great, and I liked Casablanca's schtick, thought he was funny and also sounded great, but I know he can be pretty erratic.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Why? Thought that was a nice touch. I thought they sounded great, and I liked Casablanca's schtick, thought he was funny and also sounded great, but I know he can be pretty erratic.

The girl singing? I thought it was a nice touch too - gave it a shot of humanism and a memory that will last a lifetime for her.

Some attendees certainly didn't appreciate it though. A few were sounding off on social media afterwards about how she had "ruined" the show.

19 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

The girl singing? I thought it was a nice touch too - gave it a shot of humanism and a memory that will last a lifetime for her.

Some attendees certainly didn't appreciate it though. A few were sounding off on social media afterwards about how she had "ruined" the show.

Jeez, it was just one song.

Missed the Lounge Society due to the bus from Blackpool being late. Was looking forward to seeing them too as I've seen them twice before in a very small venue near me. Stayed in the pub while Wet Leg were on as we weren't too fussed about them and we're still annoyed about being late. Thought Fontaines were very good again and really enjoyed The Strokes although the sound could have been a lot louder for their set (we were stood towards the back though). Wasn't a fan of the layout of the venue itself and not sure I'd go again to be honest.

8 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Didn't think much of them in Glasgow TBH. Started off really well but then they had technical problems, Julian was moaning about the crowd and it all went a bit flat.

I thought they sounded great when they were going, sure a a few tech probs  led to gaps between songs but the songs were great and they sounded ((as good as you can at trnsmt))... He didn't like the crowd and let it known.. difficulty at trnsmt most there for the likes of capaldi and nutini with average age of 18.. the strokes had a small headline crowd.  Personally I enjoyed it, even tho you could see they didn't want to be to to there .. the flip side is if you take the money to then you play to the crowd regardless, I just thought it was a bit of a shit crowd and it went downhill with the crowd sing fuck the Tory's to the tune of seven nation army early on which got a reaction from them on stage to what the fuck people singing white stripe songs ...

Typical idiotic nonsense from some in Glasgow crowds. That and here we, here we, here we .... Go etc. Tedious, singing white stripes to the strokes with no knowledge of the history of band on stage 

Seen that NME article this morning. Seems very over the top to me.

Can't speak for TRNSMT cause I wasn't there and the BBC have only put 20 minutes on iPlayer, which is odd. One of the amps went so it was left to Julian to fill the time - I actually found him quite funny.

Personally - I did find Ode to the Mets with the girl coming on a bit odd in Lytham but aside from that, it was absolutely amazing. They still sound amazing and it's just tune after tune. Everyone in the crowd was just having the time of their lives as well.

I'm desperate for a proper tour, even if it's abroad somewhere.

7 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Seen that NME article this morning. Seems very over the top to me.

Can't speak for TRNSMT cause I wasn't there and the BBC have only put 20 minutes on iPlayer, which is odd. One of the amps went so it was left to Julian to fill the time - I actually found him quite funny.

Personally - I did find Ode to the Mets with the girl coming on a bit odd in Lytham but aside from that, it was absolutely amazing. They still sound amazing and it's just tune after tune. Everyone in the crowd was just having the time of their lives as well.

I'm desperate for a proper tour, even if it's abroad somewhere.

They only focused on people not enjoying it - pretty biased. The glasgow school choir comment cracked me up when i read the article

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

They only focused on people not enjoying it - pretty biased. The glasgow school choir comment cracked me up when i read the article

Average age at trnsmt is about 12 to be fair. Felt very old there at 26. 

I'm still shocked trnsmt booked them, their own show would have been way better.

The Strokes at Lytham were brilliant.  Crowds were well up for it and I wonder if that helped avoid some of the erratic performances they are reported to have done elsewhere.  Great support too - Wet Leg and Fontaines were both really good.  Lounge Society on very early and poor sound so didn't do much for me.

The Strokes played for about 1hr 20 mins which sounds like is as much as they do.  No encore, but JC asked the crowd if they wanted them to go off and come back as they would have had to drop a song and crowd response was just keep playing.

Short set and chances of a poor performance make it a risky Glasto headliner, and I'd say their time has passed for that on Pyramid but if they turned up i the right mood it would be good.

Lytham Festival a strange one.  Half the front of the stage is a seperate VIP area, plus there is a raised up marquee pooposite the stage with sofas and waiter service.  We got well in the crowd on the plebs side not too far back after a bit of moshing and it was much better than I expected - really top night.  Might have been less impressive further back, it is a strange very wide arena.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Average age at trnsmt is about 12 to be fair. Felt very old there at 26. 

I'm still shocked trnsmt booked them, their own show would have been way better.

They don't really do their own shows

9 minutes ago, Northtim said:

The Strokes played for about 1hr 20 mins which sounds like is as much as they do.  No encore, but JC asked the crowd if they wanted them to go off and come back as they would have had to drop a song and crowd response was just keep playing.

Respect this, more artists should do it