The Strokes?

Jack.194

7 hours ago, Odessa said:

Hmmmm. This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I like all of the singles, and The Adults Are Talking (especially great) and Ode To The Mets stand out, but the other 4 songs aren't doing anything at all for me.

I'm a little bit surprised that this record seems to be turning people back onto The Strokes who weren't keen on Angles and Comedown Machine. I've only had two listens to The New Abnormal, so it's far from a rock-solid judgment, but I feel like it's their weakest release. I also think it's a big step down from what Julian has been doing in the last couple of years with The Voidz.

Oh well. Hopefully it's a grower. Glad to hear others are feeling it more than I am.

I don't think it's so much the new record that is turning people back onto The Strokes, more The Strokes turning people back onto their new music. The hype around them at the moment is greater than when they released those Angles or Comedown Machine. Many probably didn't give those two records a fair go (and they should because they're both really good) but have managed to get excited about this release.

That's just in general - I'm not saying that people can't like this album more than those but the positivity boost was kinda expected. I also suspect this is why more people seemed to listen to and enjoy Virtue more than Tyranny or Phrazes.

Overall I think it's pretty good. Won't be among the best albums I hear this year but it hits the spot for the 'new The Strokes songs' and I'm looking forward to singing the guitar riffs back at them when they do a UK tour wooooooooooooo.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think it's so much the new record that is turning people back onto The Strokes, more The Strokes turning people back onto their new music. The hype around them at the moment is greater than when they released those Angles or Comedown Machine. Many probably didn't give those two records a fair go (and they should because they're both really good) but have managed to get excited about this release.

That's just in general - I'm not saying that people can't like this album more than those but the positivity boost was kinda expected. I also suspect this is why more people seemed to listen to and enjoy Virtue more than Tyranny or Phrazes.

Overall I think it's pretty good. Won't be among the best albums I hear this year but it hits the spot for the 'new The Strokes songs' and I'm looking forward to singing the guitar riffs back at them when they do a UK tour wooooooooooooo.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I properly got into them roughly around the time Angles came out... pretty sure I heard Machu Picchu on Fifa and thought "huh time to give The Strokes a real go then". So I never had the bar set at Is This It when going into those later records, and never experienced that burnout with the band that a lot of people seemed to. I guess that all makes some sort of sense.

And yeah, the tour will still be unmissable. I'll be surprised if many of the 4 that haven't hit the spot for me make the cut for the setlists anyway.

39 minutes ago, internetjef said:

I really like comedown machine, might not be their best but I really like over half the songs on it. I reckon it gets rough treatment. Even tho Angles has two bangers at the start , is there much beyond that? Maybe I should revisit it

Gotta be worth another shot. I reckon Taken For A Fool and Gratisfaction are the highlights of the rest of the album, if you wanna try those.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Unearthing this from the archives after a brief mention in another thread...

Anyone off to The Strokes this summer?

Yeah trnsmt on saturday. Wee bit concerned after their recent gigs seem to be very short and not amazing 

The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas addresses criticism over Roskilde performance (nme.com)

Unfortunately not, was holding out for a London show really - Lytham is too far although if they do cheap tickets might be able to get a group going for it. Its just so far!!

My mate who has loved AM for about 10 years has just clocked the strokes are good somehow and is now dying to see them! I've definitely recommended them to him for years

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah trnsmt on saturday. Wee bit concerned after their recent gigs seem to be very short and not amazing 

The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas addresses criticism over Roskilde performance (nme.com)

Yes, had seen that too. Will be making the trek from deepest Yorkshire to see them on the Friday. Will report back.

Last Nite back in the setlist after an early summer absence, I see. Will please my friend.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

They always do this kind of thing, always late too. The crowd banter is good, if they showed up on time then they'd actually set a good role model of how to do shows - so many acts lack the banter (i enjoy it anyway). Would probably get far more big slots too if they were more reliable

I'm going to the Lytham gig on Friday with Fontaines supporting, buzzing.

Despite them being one of my favourite bands - I've only seen them twice, and one of those was ruined by horrific sound at All Points East. Still scratching my head a bit that Friday is their only date in England currently, but very much looking forward to it.

It would still be nice to see a proper tour, given the timing of the pandemic around their last record - just never know with The Strokes though.

5 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I'm going to the Lytham gig on Friday with Fontaines supporting, buzzing.

Despite them being one of my favourite bands - I've only seen them twice, and one of those was ruined by horrific sound at All Points East. Still scratching my head a bit that Friday is their only date in England currently, but very much looking forward to it.

It would still be nice to see a proper tour, given the timing of the pandemic around their last record - just never know with The Strokes though.

They just don't seem to like doing proper tour. An o2 date would have been great to go with Lytham - obviously something fell through down south

1 minute ago, gfa said:

They just don't seem to like doing proper tour. An o2 date would have been great to go with Lytham - obviously something fell through down south

Yeah it's frustrating. I'm still a bit gutted I missed that London gig (Roundhouse was it?) in Feb '20 when they did that tiny run of European gigs. Another awfully timed holiday for me.

If they announced a regular North American tour I'd probably jump on that, but even that doesn't seem to be happening

Edited by mufcok

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

All I want is for an alternative universe where The Strokes fulfilled their potential and became one of the best and most reliable live bands in the world. 

Wonder how many people in 2004 looked at their bingo cards and thought The Killers would be regular stadium fillers while The Strokes would continue to fall over themselves after nearly two decades down the line.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Yeah it's frustrating. I'm still a bit gutted I missed that London gig (Roundhouse was it?) in Feb '20 when they did that tiny run of European gigs. Another awfully timed holiday for me.

If they announced a regular North American tour I'd probably jump on that, but even that doesn't seem to be happening

yeah i missed that too, mate didn't want to go due to uni deadlines 😞 quite steep too if i recall as you'd expect but still !

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

What would quantify a good Glastonbury setlist?

All Points East 2019 pretty much perfect imo, chuck in a few of the new ones to fill the time they were late!

comment on that yt video:

The Strokes headlined Reading and Leeds in 2002, and there is an exclusivity contract for bands that headline there which means they also can't headline Glastonbury in the same year, and vice versa. Interesting that they were booked to headline Glastonbury that year, but pulled when Reading and Leeds came knocking. Perhaps Reading has more of a cool and credible reputation among American alternative rock bands than Glastonbury does, given its history.

I'm also not sure about the argument that it's less prestigious amongst Americans when you consider that The Strokes' contemporaries such as The White Stripes, The Killers and Kings of Leon have all headlined, not to mention the abundance of other American acts that have headlined down the years.

---

100% this isn't it, got offered 20x as much probably to do r&l vs just glastonbury and took it