The Strokes?

Jack.194

Guess I'm the only one who who likes the new tune eh? I'm sure there'll be banger type single tracks to come after but coming back with something weird like this makes a much more compelling argument for why new The Strokes music in 2020 is still a  worthwhile prospect. The Voidz have taught him well.

Edited by Balls

What are the chances of the strikes playing glasto if Kendrick is a done deal which I think it definitely is. How likely are they to play the other. I love them but they are certainly very aware of how many tickets they can sell elsewhere if they’re not headlining. 

4 minutes ago, jow95 said:

What are the chances of the strikes playing glasto if Kendrick is a done deal which I think it definitely is. How likely are they to play the other. I love them but they are certainly very aware of how many tickets they can sell elsewhere if they’re not headlining. 

In my opinion 0% chance but there’s a lot of hopeful people on these boards.

They only accept headline slots and where they get their full fee. I think their activity for the past 10 years has been enough to support this.

We seem to have the same conversations about the Strokes every year.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In my opinion 0% chance but there’s a lot of hopeful people on these boards.

They only accept headline slots and where they get their full fee. I think their activity for the past 10 years has been enough to support this.

We seem to have the same conversations about the Strokes every year.

Think I’m getting excited because of all the festivals they’re announcing in Europe but then thinking back that has happened a fair amount in recent years so why would it be any different this year?

Just now, august1 said:

They'd make more money and get more publicity headling other than playing the roundhouse 

Yes but that slot on the other is at the end of June and not right now to coincide with all this new album business. Surely doesn’t affect their summer schedule that they’re playing in London next week.

They might not even bother with UK festivals at all if there's a full tour to come off the back of this new album. Not sure what's left now aside from Glastonbury, the other major festivals have announced lineups, unless they're a late addition somewhere  

Edited by mufcok

52 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Unlikely... I’ve never even heard of The Strikes.

41 minutes ago, mufcok said:

They might not even bother with UK festivals at all if there's a full tour to come off the back of this new album. Not sure what's left now aside from Glastonbury, the other major festivals have announced lineups, unless they're a late addition somewhere  

They are doing their own gigs. I think they don’t bother with UK festivals because there aren’t many which would book them to headline.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They are doing their own gigs. I think they don’t bother with UK festivals because there aren’t many which would book them to headline.

Obviously I'm a Strokes fanboy so you can render what I say useless but...

They've headlined Hyde Park twice in last 15 years and when they announced All Points East last year it quickly sold out and none of the other dates did I think maybe Chemical Brothers much much later. Tout tickets for Strokes were above face value for APE. And last year and this year they are essentially headlining every major festival in the world bar Coachella / Glasto (Prima / all the Lollapaloozas / Open'er / Electric Picnic / Sziget / Flow / Way Out West / Governor's Ball )

I understand why they get a hammering here and lots of it is deserved as they've been a shambles for a large part of it; I'm genuinely surprised that Reading didn't book them as they were playing Scandinavia a couple of weeks before. Whilst Kings Of Leon and Killers have sold more, it surely stands to reason that if they can headline Glasto and other fests multiples times than surely The Strokes also have earned their chance. 

I just hope they play Glasto in a year that I get tickets; I'll be seeing them at least 8 times this year anyway so I'm happy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Nah

This is obviously pretty pointless but what makes you say that? The entire ticket revenue for the Roundhouse gig, if the capacity all paid £50, would be about £85k. Obviously a hell of a lot of deductions from that so it's worth very little financially. So I'm pretty sure an Other Stage headline slot (especially with its associated publicity and the number of fans getting into their music) would be a lot more lucrative. 

Having said that, I don't think they'll do it either. It's just about possible but very unlikely imo (especially as they've said on the radio they're not). 

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The Martini Police said:

This is obviously pretty pointless but what makes you say that? The entire ticket revenue for the Roundhouse gig, if the capacity all paid £50, would be about £85k. Obviously a hell of a lot of deductions from that so it's worth very little financially. So I'm pretty sure an Other Stage headline slot (especially with its associated publicity and the number of fans getting into their music) would be a lot more lucrative. 

Having said that, I don't think they'll do it either. It's just about possible but very unlikely imo. 

I think the nah was just more of a tongue in cheek comment. I don’t think they’d sit down and compare whether doing their own show or a slot on the second stage at a massive festival. I think the preference will always be a show where they are front and centre. 

Remember rockstars don’t think like to think they are past it.

@Ken19 has said in the mad cool thread that apparently they pulled out this year simply because Mad Cool told other artists that they would be supporting the Strokes before The Strokes had signed the dotted line.

I know I make a lot of assertions that the Strokes are a fussy band - but I think there’s a lot to back this up. I think they expect slots in the Uk that UK festivals are not willing to give.

22 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

The Strokes could also be at The Eden Sessions, they now pay high fees and charge a lot for tickets having recently been taken over by AEG, if they are in the UK over the summer I think they will be there. 

Do we know how many they have left to announce? Announced five so far I think