The Strokes?

Jack.194

3 minutes ago, Slugy said:

Don't they have a new record coming out next year? Would suggest there not just in it for the pay checks if so.

Only so many times they can up and play Is This It in its entirety + assorted others. Maybe it’s all hearsay but even a lot of their fans seem to agree that the band really aren’t in to it anymore.

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Only so many times they can up and play Is This It in its entirety + assorted others. Maybe it’s all hearsay but even a lot of their fans seem to agree that the band really aren’t in to it anymore.

But with there history of hating of being in the studio because of what happened with their contract those many moons ago why would they bother getting together to make music if they really didn't want to. They could come out retirement every 4 - 5 years for a short tour play the assorted others and wouldn't really have to worry about money for another half a decade. Assuming they are not already short of a few bob. And people saying they look like checked out/auto pilot when they play which I admit they have seemed a bit subdued when I have seem but they never really set the stage alight in there prime.

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They play a lot of songs off it but they don’t play Is This It in full. The nostalgia is going to keep going though; they’re perhaps the biggest they’ve been since Room on Fire off of nostalgia alone and their contemporaries are all feeling the benefits of a reminiscent fan base as well.

As a creative outlet, they all prioritise their own projects and work on new Strokes stuff glacially. It’s kind of fine, given that they can only lose by releasing the new songs as Strokes songs really.

As a live outfit, they seem to be enjoying it more and more every time they play. I still don’t think that means they’ll take smaller pay checks and slots just to play more shows but it means that you’re more likely to get an impassioned show than you were in 2011. FAO whoever said they don’t move around on stage: AHJ jumped off the stage and ran up to the crowd last time they played UK - I couldn’t quite believe it, I thought he must be lost looking for the exit.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Y’know the way Grimmy said on his show that The Strokes were playing Glastonbury this year? I wonder if there were crossed wires and it was actually for next year..?

Almost definitely not, but with our Pyramid headliners sorted we need something to stupidly speculate and fret over.

I can't stand Grimmeh, and THAT comment made me like him even less.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Y’know the way Grimmy said on his show that The Strokes were playing Glastonbury this year? I wonder if there were crossed wires and it was actually for next year..?

Almost definitely not, but with our Pyramid headliners sorted we need something to stupidly speculate and fret over.

I can't stand Grimmeh, and THAT comment made me like him even less.

First two albums speak for themselves. Absolutely superb. First Impressions is half brilliant, then it fizzles out. Angles wasn't great but I want to re-visit it. Comedown Machine surprised me, there's some really good stuff on it.

Would be ecstatic beyond belief seeing these at GF.

Seriously they are really good live, at APE it was amazing (where I was we could all hear but the chanting of lyrics overpowered them a fair bit anyway)

Heart in a Cage going into YOLO is a fantastic opener the energy was there. It seems that they are really enjoying touring a bit more this cycle and just recently in Peru they played Machu Picchu for them, which they would have had to of rehearsed as its not on their normal setlist. If its going to be any of their tours I am going to say this one.

20 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Out of interest — has anyone who wants them to play seen them before?

I’ve seen them and they were very much a once and done thing. I enjoyed it but I feel like I’ve seen the whole show.

Seen them twice years and years ago really enjoyed it. Would happily go again if they don’t clash with someone better. 

If they can get Janet Jackson to play 3rd down Pyramid then there's a decent chance they can get The Strokes to sub or headline Other. As others have said their more recent live shows indicate they're enjoying playing together more, if a new album is announced then their chances of being booked go up enormously I reckon.

If Metallica were happy to accept Other headliner originally, then why not. Unless they're doing BST again though I imagine they'll need a strong undercard to do it. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

They're announcing some smaller shows in Europe just now for this month, I heard at the weekend they're playing one at the Roundhouse but it's not been announced yet this morning, but would have no reason to expect it not to be the case

Do you know the date? 

Also what the hell is their issue with literally the whole of the rest of the country 

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Do you know the date? 

Also what the hell is their issue with literally the whole of the rest of the country 

Nah sorry, just heard they were playing some smaller shows and one of them would be the roundhouse 

I do have reason to believe they're playing more dates in the winter, I don't know how many, but expect them to have an arena show in Glasgow 

£49.50 for the Belfast show: https://www.waterfront.co.uk/what-s-on/the-strokes/

Going by the dates of the other shows and the fact that the roundhouse isn't free on the 20th or 21st. The roundhouse show (if true) will be on either the 19th, 22nd or 23rd.

Edited by aidenlangan95