The Strokes?

Jack.194

16 minutes ago, VCK said:

It really boggles my mind that they have never played Glastonbury.

One word: Money

I saw them at All Points East this year - they were fantastic and would smash the spot. I think Other headline is a good spot or maybe subbing main. Either they would do a good job at playing with their current hit-filled set but they are a bit strange, normally on late and off early but it could work. Playing a non-headline slot and coming on late like they normally do though would make a huge dent into their time on stage so I think it would have to be other headline for them to have any chance of actually performing for more than 40 minutes.

I'm a big fan of the first 3 albums. There's definitely a bit of a drop in quality on First Impressions but there's not as much daylight between Is This It and Room On Fire as some people seem to believe. 

The output this decade has been largely forgettable, aside from Under The Cover of Darkness which is arguably the best thing they've done since Reptilia. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

How some people can love that album and not like the rest is beyond me.

Love Is This It and Room On Fire.

First Impressions... was decent but too long (although Juicebox remains the greatest tune that band have ever recorded)

The other two didn't make too much of an impression on me.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The 'Arcade Fire Album Rating System' is more appropriate for The Strokes than it is for Arcade Fire.

I feel that people who feel this way about either band are too dependent on critical reception when deciding on the music they like, and I would very much not like to hear what their favourite movies are or anything else like that.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Y’know the way Grimmy said on his show that The Strokes were playing Glastonbury this year? I wonder if there were crossed wires and it was actually for next year..?

Almost definitely not, but with our Pyramid headliners sorted we need something to stupidly speculate and fret over.

As much as history tells us there's lots of reasons why it's unlikely I think they match Emily's description perfectly. 

9 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

As much as history tells us there's lots of reasons why it's unlikely I think they match Emily's description perfectly. 

Yeah if it wasn’t so known that they’re pretty much only still together to grab an easy pay check every once in a while then they’d seem like an obvious candidate for what Emily has described. Maybe something has swayed them, but I doubt it.

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Really ropey live but I enjoyed the songs. I just don’t see them as this incredibly exciting act that deserve the slots they get internationally. 

It seems like they want to live a reclusive life, restrict their output, but still headline massive events across the globe.

It won’t be long until the majority of festival goers will have never had heard of them.

They sound like a Stones Roses with a good album behind them rather tham a legendary one.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I feel that people who feel this way about either band are too dependent on critical reception when deciding on the music they like, and I would very much not like to hear what their favourite movies are or anything else like that.

You don’t need to read reviews to spot a clear drop from Suburbs down to Reflektor then another drop to Everything Now. A working set of ears should do it.