The Strokes?

Jack.194

The Strokes have been mentioned as a possibility for Mad Cool 2020, suggesting they may be around next year.

How likely is it that they’ll be at Glasto next year?

Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar don’t really excite me massively (although I’m not denying each of them are easily big enough to headline, and it would be a fantastic set of headliners - just doesn’t personally do it for me) so I’m desperately looking for other satisfying rumours!

743E1F36-B956-4CE5-B572-6C420B2A5AD3.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The strokes tend to only accept headline slots. I really can’t see it.

recently they have been doing smaller headline slots like APE though - if its any year it would be now I think. Would make an excellent sub or other headline

Here we go again.  To sum up how this thread will go and save us all some time, The Strokes are either:

1 - A fantastic band who released one of this century's greatest albums and don't play in England enough.

or

2 - The last picant fart from betwixt the decaying buttocks of rock n' roll's fetid corpse, who were always terrible live anyway.

The answer is obviously 2, but who am I to shit on someone's dreams?

Edited by fatyeti24

14 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Here we go again.  To sum up how this thread will go and save us all some time, The Strokes are either:

1 - A fantastic band who released one of this century's greatest albums and don't play in England enough.

or

2 - The last picant fart from betwixt the decaying buttocks of rock n' roll's fetid corpse, who were always terrible live anyway.

The answer is obviously 2, but who am I to shit on someone's dreams?

I disagree (etc).

• Upvote 2

Can't think of a better (realistically speaking) indie/guitar music alternative to either Kendrick or Taylor, should they go down that route. Would love to see them on the farm but the chances are still slim I fear. That being said, if they're in the area then why not, especially if there's supposedly grander plans in place for an album and tour later in the year. Would be a great launchpad for a proper come back.

Who am I kidding, they'll just play the o2 and nowhere else, even if they do hit up the UK.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Out of interest — has anyone who wants them to play seen them before?

I’ve seen them and they were very much a once and done thing. I enjoyed it but I feel like I’ve seen the whole show.

I haven’t seen them but want to, everyone says they’re poor live, were they not?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Out of interest — has anyone who wants them to play seen them before?

I’ve seen them and they were very much a once and done thing. I enjoyed it but I feel like I’ve seen the whole show.

Seen them twice over the years - and I could go for the hat trick.

1 minute ago, Jack.194 said:

I haven’t seen them but want to, everyone says they’re poor live, were they not?

Really ropey live but I enjoyed the songs. I just don’t see them as this incredibly exciting act that deserve the slots they get internationally. 

It seems like they want to live a reclusive life, restrict their output, but still headline massive events across the globe.

It won’t be long until the majority of festival goers will have never had heard of them.

2 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

They don't do much in the moving around department, I think you have to buy into it. When I saw them headline Super Bock Super Rock some years ago, he was wearing sunglasses at 2am (nutter) and they just smashed through the songs with no banter. Being that they finished with Hard to Explain, Juicebox and Take It Or Leave It, I was definitely buying it.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Really ropey live but I enjoyed the songs. I just don’t see them as this incredibly exciting act that deserve the slots they get internationally. 

It seems like they want to live a reclusive life, restrict their output, but still headline massive events across the globe.

It won’t be long until the majority of festival goers will have never had heard of them.

I suspect they put their 'creativity' into their side projects these days and roll out The Strokes every few years for the payout.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jack.194 said:

How likely is it that they’ll be at Glasto next year?

This actually comes up every couple of days:

Not likely at all.

They are in it for the money, and Glastonbury doesn’t really do the level of money that they need.

It’s theoretically possible that they could be offered a Pyramid headline slot and agree the lower fee for the prestige but they’re not accepting an even lower fee for even lower prestige.

59 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Yea I feel given the gigs they’ve been taking more recently (APE) they may settle for Other headliner, which I think they’d suit pretty well! 

Would love to see it!

All Points East will have paid them more than Glastonbury pays its Pyramid headliners. Also they sold it out so I don’t see why they’re still held to the same level as Other Stage headliners who can’t sell it out.

Edited by dentalplan

I'd reallt love to see the Strokes again, Other stage against Kendrick or Taylor would be ideal for me personally.

Yes they aren't the greatest live band in the world (RHCP?) but when they played before Pulp at Leeds fest in 09? it was a great show imo.

I don't know if they are popular/relevant enough to actuallly warrant an Other stage headline slot but they couldn't play any lower i don't think.

Did they not play a really random early slot at aRadio 1 Big Weekend once (i know they can have random placements but they musta agreed to it)

2 hours ago, petewilson09 said:

I'd reallt love to see the Strokes again, Other stage against Kendrick or Taylor would be ideal for me personally.

Yes they aren't the greatest live band in the world (RHCP?) but when they played before Pulp at Leeds fest in 09? it was a great show imo.

I don't know if they are popular/relevant enough to actuallly warrant an Other stage headline slot but they couldn't play any lower i don't think.

Did they not play a really random early slot at aRadio 1 Big Weekend once (i know they can have random placements but they musta agreed to it)

Actually headlined the second stage at R1BW. Carlisle, 2011.