FD Glastonbury Advent Calendar

FuzzyDunlop

10 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Old Trafford last gig was 2008 (With The Editors), they were there in 2005 too (Zutons, Feeder, Idlewild)...luckily I was at both. Amazing band, been playing their music a lot recently.

& well done @FuzzyDunlop

I saw them in 2005 it would seem, on the Around the Sun tour. Michael Stipe had a blue flash on his face and there was a song (that I really  liked) called Electron Blue. Hence it was remembered (by me) as the Blue tour. 

anyway carry on 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by chuckles07
Spelling

On 12/16/2019 at 6:27 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind door number 16 - REM 2003

REM are one of my favourite bands. I never saw them at Glastonbury, but watched them on TV. I have clear memories of watching their full set on TV. I was blown away. It always sticks in my head as a performance on TV that I loved. I assume it was 2003, but could have been 99... or both! Someone at work who did 2 Festivals (2003 & 2004) says this is is his favourite Glastonbury memory.
I did manage to see them in 2005 & 2008 in Manchester before they split.

Unfortunately I wasn’t there in 2003, but did see their first Glastonbury show in ‘99. It was the first time I’d seen them for 10 years (had seen them on the Green tour, and the Fables tour in ‘85) and at the time it seemed a huge coup to get them to play at Worthy Farm. Their previous UK visit had been a stadium tour. It was utterly spell-binding; there is something magical about seeing an act you love playing on that stage (although the current Pyramid stage hadn’t been built yet, so they played on a bog standard stage, which isn’t quite the same).

Behind Door Number 20 - Janelle Monae 2019 West Holts

The last act I have seen at Glastonbury. This time last year, I'd not heard of her. Once she was announced I did a bit of research. Her albums didnt grab me, but the live performance videos stood out. 

No one else on the sunday interested me, and I convinced a few of my mates to watch her, whilst a few others went to the Streets.
We were blown away, she was brilliant. The crowd wasnt too big, but those there got an absolute treat.
They said the streets was too busy & they couldn't get to the tent.

We had the better time.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

Behind Door Number 21 - The Prodigy 2009

My first Glastonbury. One of the acts I grew up with to close it.
I was a bit gutted they clashed with Blur & I had seen the Prodigy twice before - but I went to the Other Stage. Only 3 of us went to the Festival that year & the other 2 were dead set on the Prodigy. I would go on my own, but if I am honest, I was happy with that decision.
I was a bit all over the shop by the end of the set, in the best possible way.

Later that night, as we were sat at the tent, I sat looking about & listening to mumble of people, the lights, absolutely gutted the festival was over. I knew I'd be back though, after years of watching it on TV - Glastonbury really was everything I thought it would be.

Today is for the legacy of Keith Flint

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was a bit gutted they clashed with Blur & I had seen the Prodigy twice before - but I went to the Other Stage. Only 3 of us went to the Festival that year & the other 2 were dead set on the Prodigy. I would go on my own, but if I am honest, I was happy with that decision.

Later that night, as we were sat at the tent, I sat looking about & listening to mumble of people, the lights, absolutely gutted the festival was over. I knew I'd be back though, after years of watching it on TV - Glastonbury really was everything I thought it would be.

Great one, Fuzz. I wish I'd been there for this. So much Keith Flint love. 

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That was probably about my 10th - and for now final - time seeing the Prodge.  I remember the (then) new tunes from Invaders going off more than the old ones I grew up on, which made me feel old.

And after a weekend at the festival there was no way my knees were coping with crouching down and jumping up, no matter how many time it was requested by Maxim.

Behind Door 22 - Royal Blood 2014 JP Tent

They hadnt released anything. Had only been on Jools Holland, but the tent was rammed.
It was as if this was a catalyst of them becoming big.
That morning when we got up, the people camped near us were all talking about seeing them. My mate went to the toilet about 2 hours before they came on. He came back and said "people in the queue were talking that Royal Blood band".
So we got there early & watched someone called Hozier (who has ironically ended up with a much bigger tune than anything Royal Blood have done). 
The gig is memorable for the fact that, I described the band to a mate as a loud rock n roll band. He said "Ill come to that"... he was at something else earlier & I told him to meet us in the JP. He went to the Williams Green, watched the Wytches & then rang us asking us why we didn't turn up. 

Royal Blood are not loved on this board, but I love a solid guitar riff! 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I wasn't at this set (I'd definitely not heard of them in 2014) but flash forward a few years and that Royal Blood - The XX - Radiohead evening in 2017 is far and away my favourite run on The Pyramid. I rarely stick around that long.

I don't really get the RB hate on here. Personally, I'd take them headlining The Other over The 1975 or yet another Gallagher all day long.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door 22 - Royal Blood 2014 JP Tent

They hadnt released anything. Had only been on Jools Holland, but the tent was rammed.
It was as if this was a catalyst of them becoming big.
That morning when we got up, the people camped near us were all talking about seeing them. My mate went to the toilet about 2 hours before they came on. He came back and said "people in the queue were talking that Royal Blood band".
So we got there early & watched someone called Hozier (who has ironically ended up with a much bigger tune than anything Royal Blood have done). 
The gig is memorable for the fact that, I described the band to a mate as a loud rock n roll band. He said "Ill come to that"... he was at something else earlier & I told him to meet us in the JP. He went to the Williams Green, watched the Wytches & then rang us asking us why we didn't turn up. 

I was there; magic 😎🎅

Behind Door 23 - Ray Davies 2010

This day was hard. It had been too hot for 5 days. We packed our stuff up and had put it in the car early doors, so we left after Stevie Wonder.
The weather had made things hard, the Saturday was actually a bit depressing in the heat. Didnt see anyone til Muse that night... but I was determined to enjoy the Sunday.
We stayed at the Pyramid all day. From Norah Jones onwards. With the exception of the dull Jack Johnson, it was a good day.
Tye day was difderent. No drink, no drugs, just water & Ice Cream - but I enjoyed it.
The other shame was the football. Probably 2/3s of the festival went to see it. It created a weird atmosphere. The crowd was far too small until later on. People started arriving back during Ray.
Ray Davies was a highlight of the festival for me. A genuine legend, I'd forgotten how many tunes he / the kinks had done that I love. He deserved a bigger crowd. Even then though the legend slot wasn't the "thing" it is now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door 23 - Ray Davies 2010

This day was hard. It had been too hot for 5 days. We packed our stuff up and had put it in the car early doors, so we left after Stevie Wonder.
The weather had made things hard, the Saturday was actually a bit depressing in the heat. Didnt see anyone til Muse that night... but I was determined to enjoy the Sunday.
We stayed at the Pyramid all day. From Norah Jones onwards. With the exception of the dull Jack Johnson, it was a good day.
Tye day was difderent. No drink, no drugs, just water & Ice Cream - but I enjoyed it.
The other shame was the football. Probably 2/3s of the festival went to see it. It created a weird atmosphere. The crowd was far too small until later on. People started arriving back during Ray.
Ray Davies was a highlight of the festival for me. A genuine legend, I'd forgotten how many tunes he / the kinks had done that I love. He deserved a bigger crowd. Even then though the legend slot wasn't the "thing" it is now.

I refuse to let go of the dream that The Kinks are gonna appear somewhere on the bill this time round.... Unlikely as that now seems. Swaying along to this in the hazy sunshine with a Twister lolly in hand sounds like an absolute dream.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, Sasperella said:

I wasn't at this set (I'd definitely not heard of them in 2014) but flash forward a few years and that Royal Blood - The XX - Radiohead evening in 2017 is far and away my favourite run on The Pyramid. I rarely stick around that long.

I don't really get the RB hate on here. Personally, I'd take them headlining The Other over The 1975 or yet another Gallagher all day long.

Was also one of my favourite run ups.

I don't get the hate, I actually didn't know there was much, great band. 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, Sasperella said:

Walked past as I’d heard the hype from people on this very forum. No chance of even getting anywhere near the side of the tent so grabbed a cider, listened to a couple of songs that we obviously didn’t know & moved on. It was loud in that tent though, from just two musicians.

Behind Door 24.. Michael & Emily Eavis

Well, what can be said? Every one of the previous 23 stories & videos are down to Michael & Emily. Without them, none of us would be using this forum to discuss the festival.
For me, I owe them both a great deal of gratitude. I have had some of the best moments of my life at the festival. It has changed my life. Brought me closer to people. It has helped me learn things about myself too.

Michael is the king. He is clearly a lovely guy who loves seeing how happy the festival makes people. This year I went to "Michael Eavis explains it all" at the acoustic tent. Listening to him speak about the history of it. Yes, he is prone to a few bits of hyperbole. It'll always be the "best one yet", but I (and everyone else) really do love him.

Emily is now the real brains behind the festival's direction. She always comes across on TV as a lovely. The stick she has had from the Lonsdale's of the world is criminal. Without Emily's vision - the festival may never have adapted. I have never met or seen Emily, but she has played a massive role in the last 11 years of my life & I cannot thank her enough.

That rounds off the advent calendar. People do seem to have enjoyed it. I won't lie - I have enjoyed this trip down memory lane myself!

6720.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 7

Stupidly, I've been wondering what you would have for number 24 when it really couldn't have been anything else.

Happy Christmas Fuzz!

If your Christmas Eve pasts are anything like mine, I hope you manage to get through it without being so intoxicated that you spend much of tomorrow like a total zombie. I think that I've finally learnt my lesson on that...or at least, I hope I have!

• Upvote 1