FD Glastonbury Advent Calendar

FuzzyDunlop

5 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yog!

Whether or not I'd call them "stand up" jokes or not, I don't know, but jokes were definitely part of the act. 

It sounds to me like you have found who you were looking for all these years. 

They did a memorable number called "Glue Sniffin'" which always went down well.

It's doubtful that I'll ever go to glastonbury again, but if i meet you at another festival fuzzy, then I owe you a drink of your choosing. You have finally allowed me to put to bed a head scratcher that's been itching me for years. here's my mate's response;

yes it was them, they used to play in the croissant neuf tent every year, i think the main man died and they had a comemorative gig the following year, but I may have made that up. Gawd knows what year, the 90s ?
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's doubtful that I'll ever go to glastonbury again, but if i meet you at another festival fuzzy, then I owe you a drink of your choosing. You have finally allowed me to put to bed a head scratcher that's been itching me for years. here's my mate's response;

yes it was them, they used to play in the croissant neuf tent every year, i think the main man died and they had a comemorative gig the following year, but I may have made that up. Gawd knows what year, the 90s ?

Im glad this thread has been a bit of a service as well as a trip down memory lane for people.

As well as a few more obvious choices I will be picking a few personal ones like this. Im glad someone else on here has had an experience with the Biggles.

Hopefully I'll see you for that drink!!

• Upvote 1

Behind door number 4 - Stevie Wonder.
Headline set of 2010.

When I got a ticket in 2009, my headliner hope was Stevie Wonder "but he'll never do it", same in 2010.... then he was announced. Stevie was the go to music in our house when I was a kid. Something we all liked. Parents & kids.

We stopped at the Pyramid all day. That day was a struggle. The heat had meant we had already packed the tent up & we left straight after he finished. I was pretty much stone cold sober, In the pit.

An incredible party atmosphere for an amazing set. 

10 years ago.... time definitely flies.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

Behind Door Number 5 - Underworld at the WH 2016.

One of my favourite days ever this. The full day. Atfter Roisin Murphy me, my mate & his wife decided to eat a bag of mushrooms. Other mates had gone to muse... but we had the right idea. Underworld were unreal. Our head's were in a 'place' shall we say.

After Underworld finished we tried to get to arcadia. The mud & our head made it the funniest most difficult walk we have ever had. Getting stuck, falling over. Watching others fall. There was a sign on a pole that said "Chewbacca impersonating contest this way". I was in pain I was laughing so hard. At one point we sat on a bench. People left as we were just uncontrollably laughing. We were freaking people out.... which made it funnier. One of the best nights of my life. I say that without question.

I am seeing Underworld tonight in Manchester too.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/5/2019 at 8:13 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door Number 5 - Underworld at the WH 2016.

One of my favourite days ever this. The full day. Atfter Roisin Murphy me, my mate & his wife decided to eat a bag of mushrooms. Other mates had gone to muse... but we had the right idea. Underworld were unreal. Our head's were in a 'place' shall we say.

After Underworld finished we tried to get to arcadia. The mud & our head made it the funniest most difficult walk we have ever had. Getting stuck, falling over. Watching others fall. There was a sign on a pole that said "Chewbacca impersonating contest this way". I was in pain I was laughing so hard. At one point we sat on a bench. People left as we were just uncontrollably laughing. We were freaking people out.... which made it funnier. One of the best nights of my life. I say that without question.

I am seeing Underworld tonight in Manchester too.

Excellent tale Fuzzy. Glastonbury is made up of such moments, which is why it's very hard to beat.

22 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door Number 6 - Love the Farm Leave No Trace.

2019 was noticable for how little rubbish was about. People seemed to listen. There isnt an excuse. 

Put your shit in a bin, take the rest home with you. It's simple. 

1glasto.jpg

I'd give you another one for that - up vote that is. Alas, I've evidently been shooting from the hip, and have ran out of them. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind door number 7 - The Verve 2008.

I wasn't at Glastonbury, but had a few mates who were. I was in Ibiza. I got home & the week afterwards this was on BBC 4 (or BBC3 - some channel anyway!) & I thought... I am going next year.

And I did.

Old Ashcroft gets a lot of shit on here nowadays, but I always wish I'd been there for this

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Old Ashcroft gets a lot of shit on here nowadays, but I always wish I'd been there for this

I completely agree. I can't deny that I have always liked Ashcroft whenever I have seen him. Supported The Stones & did a good job. 

Seen him twice more too. 

I wouldnt drop everything to see him, but if he subbed or 3rd down on the other stage, I would probably watch him again.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, Sasperella said:

Great memory of that encore. Me and a friend had been to JP to see The National (us and about 50 people it felt like!!) but ducked out early and got into the Pyramid field just as The Verve came back on. Then drank the rest of a 3l wine box we’d started on during Leonard Cohen earlier, as it was too crowded to move after they finished!! my wife not impressed when she had to drive back to Cornwall at 1am because we were full of wine and couldn’t share the driving.......

13 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door Number 8 - Super Furry Animals 2015 - Park Headliner.

My group had all overdone it Wednesday & Thursday. All were asleep apart from me & someone else. We went to watch SFA. Made the best choice. They were superb. 

I've seen the Super Furries live more than any other act (mid-20s). Only saw them at Glasto once; the legendary appearance on the Other Stage in 1999. Some daft fucker drove his van through the crowd towards the front, then got irate when several people climbed onto his roof and started jumping up and down. Was very happy to see them tour again in 2015, and was at the first couple of shows that year - they were as good as ever, and hope the wait isn't too long before the next round.

• Upvote 1

Behind Door Number 10 - The Wednesday night Fireworks

This is when the festival seems like it really kicks off for me. I have watched them from my tent, the park, the stone circle & the other stage field once - but I have to watch them. We have been up all Tuesday night & it isnt unusual for 1 or more of our group to have gone to bed. I cant til Ive watched the fireworks. Fav time was 2017. Was tripping & thought the park had a Willy Wonka's Factory Tent... fireworks, a lot of laughter, a great night.

One of my important moments of the festival are the fireworks. Getting excited about them now!

glastonbury-festival-fireworks.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 2

Behind Door Number 11 - Pulp on the Park 2011.

2011 was my favourite festival. Sat 2011 is my favourite night ever at the festival. It began with Pulp. Me & a mate lost everyone & had to leg it to the Park to hopefully get to see Pulp. They were amazing. Absolutely perfect. The only "secret" set I have seen & I wager it was the best. The set was flawless. Id never seen them before, so I was buzzing. Then we went to the Chemical Brothers. Found our other mates, the Shangri La, then a costume change into full laderhosen (not sure why). Off to the Stone Circle. Met some lovely people & we tripped all the way back. The best night... it began like this. (Not my video)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

2011 - had to check my old Clashfinder online! We had been disappointed with the Friday night crush in the drizzle at Radioheads "secret set" so didn't make the trek across for Pulp. But we were treated to Guy Garvey on top form as Elbow subbed Coldplay. We all agreed that Elbow stole the show and Coldplay were meh. Luckily we did go along a few years later when Coldplay headlined the Sunday and won us back over. I'm hoping we might see Guy and co again in 2020, their Park stage performance in 2017 was a highlight of that year for us.

Behind door number 12 - Genosys. My favourite south east corner stage. I spent 2 nights there in 2019 (Thurs & Saturday). It's a proper stage, not too busy, room to dance & often has my kind of techno banging through the speakers.

It's not something you see on the TV, so if you are reading this as someone new to the festival, definitely check it out. I prefer the area to the over crowded Shangri La.

Block9-660x530.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 2

Behind door number 13 - Kasabian 2014

The last Pyramid headliners I have seen. After Dolly Parton my foot was fucked, I couldnt walk. Ed Sheeran was next on the Pyramid, so I no amount of pain was going to keep me at the Pyramid. I ran to the Silver Hayes and ended up in a tent of some Electro. No clue who it was. After a mooch I realised I had no phone & I was on my own. I wasnt bothered about seeing anyone, no acts stood out. I decided Ill go with the safe option, Kasabian. Not great, but Ill enjoy it. I went on my own, was stood nect to a few people from Nottingham who provided booze & other things. I oftered money, but very kindly, took none. I had forgotten how much I enjoy Kasabian live. Good times had by all.

Great scenes from 2 mins in

• Upvote 1