FD Glastonbury Advent Calendar

FuzzyDunlop

Every day in this thread, I will post a different Glastonbury related video / picture to countdown like an advent calendar....

Behind Door Number 1 - The first memory I have of Glastonbury. I wasnt there, but watched it TV. This is the first memory of being hooked on it. I loved this performance

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 15

Two slightly related fun date facts.......

Gates open 7am June 26th - exactly 6 months after Boxing Day. 

Just done some quick maths...... Halfway between the last one (30/06/2019) and the next one (26/06/2020) is actually 28/12/2019 as there are 362 fallow days this year.

xx

3 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Two slightly related fun date facts.......

Gates open 7am June 26th - exactly 6 months after Boxing Day. 

Just done some quick maths...... Halfway between the last one (30/06/2019) and the next one (26/06/2020) is actually 28/12/2019 as there are 362 fallow days this year.

xx

I'm pretty sure it's 24th June 2020. If you turn up at 7am on 26th you might find the camping fields a little busier than you expect ?

Behind Door Number 2 - QOTSA Other Stage Headliners 2011. Memorable to me for 3 things.

1. How much of a surprise it was when I saw them on the line up. I don't think they were rumoured.

2. The state I was in.

3. During little sister (on the vid), someone in front of me got on someone elses shoulders with a flare. To get them down some bastard threw a full can of cider / beer, which missed them and smashed me in the head. Had a lump on the back of my head & a minging comedown the next day.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door Number 2 - QOTSA Other Stage Headliners 2011. Memorable to me for 3 things.

1. How much of a surprise it was when I saw them on the line up. I don't think they were rumoured.

2. The state I was in.

3. During little sister (on the vid), someone in front of me got on someone elses shoulders with a flare. To get them down some bastard threw a full can of cider / beer, which missed them and smashed me in the head. Had a lump on the back of my head & a minging comedown the next day.

No way!  I was stood right next to you and remember this happening...other than the state of your bonce it's still on my list of greatest Glasto gigs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2. The state I was in.

Im enjoying the "Fuzz's memory lane" aspect of this more than the video itself. Will there be one to accompany every post?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

No way!  I was stood right next to you and remember this happening...other than the state of your bonce it's still on my list of greatest Glasto gigs.

I loved it, up until that point. I was all over the shop after that - I got a proper whack off of it! At the time I was lucky I was in a bit of a state anyway as it didn't hurt as much as it did the next day.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Im enjoying the "Fuzz's memory lane" aspect of this more than the video itself. Will there be one to accompany every post?

I will do a bit of a blurb every day. A few posts wont be specific to me, but if there is a story / something to say - I will.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Every day in this thread. I will post a different Glastonbury related video / picture to countdown like an advent calendar....

Behind Door Number 1 - The first memory I have of Glastonbury. I wasnt there, but watched it TV. This is the first memory of being hooked on it. I loved this performance

Was there for this. Anyone who says they couldn't pull off a headline slot needs their head read.

• Upvote 1

Behind Door Number 3 - The Biggles Wartime Band. 

For 4 festivals, our Wednesday used to start by watching Biggles Wartime Band. A funny folk band from not that far away from where I live. The front man Jolly Jock was a great laugh. It was always a great way to start the week. He became ill a few years ago. 2016 was his last festival & he sadly passed away. 

This video is from 2007, I didnt start going to Glastonbury until 2010 & the recording isnt perfect, but you can get the idea.

Today's is for the memory of Jolly Jock.

Youtube wont allow the video to be embedded, but the link is above the picture. (Song starts on 1 min 20)

https://youtu.be/2Cds3gg0ugY

biggleswartimeband.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind Door Number 3 - The Biggles Wartime Band. 

For 4 festivals, our Wednesday used to start by watching Biggles Wartime Band. A funny folk band from not that far away from where I live. The front man Jolly Jock was a great laugh. It was always a great way to start the week. He became ill a few years ago. 2016 was his last festival & he sadly passed away. 

This video is from 2007, I didnt start going to Glastonbury until 2010 & the recording isnt perfect, but you can get the idea.

Today's is for the memory of Jolly Jock.

Youtube wont allow the video to be embedded, but the link is above the picture. (Song starts on 1 min 20)

https://youtu.be/2Cds3gg0ugY

biggleswartimeband.jpg

Hello FuzzyDunlop,

You've just done something truly wonderful - I think. I recall going in to a tent to watch a band play, but more importantly to get out of the rain outside, and seeing this band, who had it been dry outside, I would have instantly dismissed. However, it was wet outside, so me and my mates stayed. I've never been able to recall the name of that band, but having seen the above footage, I'm pretty certain it was them. I don't suppose you know if they actually told stand up jokes throughout their performances do you (ie, not just jokes on the hoof)? If they did, then that's them. In the end they had the whole crowd in the tent in the palm of their hands - myself included. I do know it was a year before they banned magic mushroom sales, because there was a stall nearby which was selling exotic magic mushrooms. I know this because we'd eaten all the ones that we'd brought with us the night before, and ended up buying more from that stall. I can also remember the lead bloke telling the ice cream man joke about him (the ice cream man) committing suicide by topping himself! 

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello FuzzyDunlop,

You've just done something truly wonderful - I think. I recall going in to a tent to watch a band play, but more importantly to get out of the rain outside, and seeing this band, who had it been dry outside, I would have instantly dismissed. However, it was wet outside, so me and my mates stayed. I've never been able to recall the name of that band, but having seen the above footage, I'm pretty certain it was them. I don't suppose you know if they actually told stand up jokes throughout their performances do you (ie, not just jokes on the hoof)? If they did, then that's them. In the end they had the whole crowd in the tent in the palm of their hands - myself included. I do know it was a year before they banned magic mushroom sales, because there was a stall nearby which was selling exotic magic mushrooms. I know this because we'd eaten all the ones that we'd brought with us the night before, and ended up buying more from that stall. I can also remember the lead bloke telling the ice cream man joke about him (the ice cream man) committing suicide by topping himself! 

Yog!

Whether or not I'd call them "stand up" jokes or not, I don't know, but jokes were definitely part of the act. 

It sounds to me like you have found who you were looking for all these years. 

They did a memorable number called "Glue Sniffin'" which always went down well.

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yog!

Whether or not I'd call them "stand up" jokes or not, I don't know, but jokes were definitely part of the act. 

It sounds to me like you have found who you were looking for all these years. 

They did a memorable number called "Glue Sniffin'" which always went down well.

Hello fuzzy,

I think that I'm going to email someone who was there with me, as the name of the band and a bit of footage might stir memories in him, long since forgotten. I now NEED to know if it was them. This is tantalisingly close - or may not be - I'll get back to you on this.