Euro 2020 match dates

kalifire

17 hours ago, MrZigster said:

One of my favourite Pymild memories is that England v Portugal game ('04). Even though we lost. First time I'd entered that field for nine years and I did so just as we scored. The cheer that went up during the half time analysis when they showed us on the telly reacting to the goal.

Motty: "And this is Glastonbury. The festival's started. There are more people watching there than in the actual stadium".

An excellent experience :). Imagine the atmosphere if we'd won.

I will never stop questioning (i.e. taking the piss out of) those who chose England v Germany over Slash in '10. Hmm, what is more likely to happen again? Slash playing Glastonbury, or England playing Germany at football?

I'm also glad that it's Tuesday and Monday this time. Looks like Radio 5 Live on the way there and back then.

for me it wasnt about Slash.... but the marvellous Ray Davies that followed.. very moving and one of my favourite sets.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2019 at 4:52 PM, BlueDaze said:

for me it wasnt about Slash.... but the marvellous Ray Davies that followed.. very moving and one of my favourite sets.

I really hope that is an omen for next year! I’ve been religiously checking the rumours page in the hope that the Kinks or Ray get upgraded to SR!

after all they were booked to play the first glasto, though of course didn’t appear ! Would be nice for the 50th. Great tunes that transcend the generations.

Didn't get tickets in the main sale, which now seems like a bit of luck as Wales pulled off the impossible and managed to qualify directly. Think Glasto is now sadly off the cards, having just forked out a fair amount on flights to Baku (again, ffs!) and Rome. Still thinking of ways to do Glasto but a decent chance we could progress further in the tournament so think it'll have to be alternative fests for me this year.

I can barely remember a thing about Ray Davies, which is weird. I reckon the heat had an adverse affect on my brain. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, fatyeti24 said:

Apparently James were meant to be playing in that slot, but refused, causing a few years' animosity between them and the festival.

My memory of that was that James refused to start their set until the game was over and so they had about 25 minutes left of their slot as people headed back to field and they finally took the stage. They came on and said that they had designed two set lists one for if England had lost. And a greatest hits set if they had won - cue a party as they started with She’s A Star, Sit Down and Laid..

36 minutes ago, TheWizard62 said:

My memory of that was that James refused to start their set until the game was over and so they had about 25 minutes left of their slot as people headed back to field and they finally took the stage. They came on and said that they had designed two set lists one for if England had lost. And a greatest hits set if they had won - cue a party as they started with She’s A Star, Sit Down and Laid..

Would love James next year with an afternoon of greatest hits! 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Actually didn’t play it in 2016 when they opened the other stage, which is just as well as it was a mud bath! Ended with laid instead! 

they didnt play it when i saw them at Latitude a few years back.

Knobs.!

i have no time for that BS

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 10:15 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Going back to the Euros, I’ve got tickets to all three England games so it’ll be the Czech Republic game on the Tuesday night then off to the festival.

I've got a ticket for the Czech Republic game too, then I'm on an early coach from Oxford to Glastonbury the following morning!

Awaiting to hear back from the latest ballot on the other two games. 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, TheWizard62 said:

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, TheWizard62 said:

Cue me walking off as soon as they came on due to the pissing rain. My memory is that they started with Sit Down.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Cue me walking off as soon as they came on due to the pissing rain. My memory is that they started with Sit Down.

A pub that I used to frequent used to be one of those old pubs that had separate bar rooms and  would just stick the TV on with soaps etc in the back one.

We had watched the England v Colombia World Cup game in the front of the bar then a few of us stayed on and watched Glastonbury 98 in the back room with a few others, I'm fairly sure there was a bit of a lock in and we watched James and Primal Scream either live or on a slightly delayed transmission.

I remember a few of us trying to count up how many of our mates were there (a few) and getting soaked!

On 11/30/2019 at 11:38 PM, MrZigster said:

I will never stop questioning (i.e. taking the piss out of) those who chose England v Germany over Slash in '10. Hmm, what is more likely to happen again? Slash playing Glastonbury, or England playing Germany at football?

I'm also glad that it's Tuesday and Monday this time. Looks like Radio 5 Live on the way there and back then.

As someone who chose the football you are quite right to pillory us, utter fools to a person. I really regret it and have learned many times that if the choice is between music and football, music will always be better.

That said Ray Davies was the perfect pick-me-up afterwards, a delightful performance. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

A pub that I used to frequent used to be one of those old pubs that had separate bar rooms and  would just stick the TV on with soaps etc in the back one.

We had watched the England v Colombia World Cup game in the front of the bar then a few of us stayed on and watched Glastonbury 98 in the back room with a few others, I'm fairly sure there was a bit of a lock in and we watched James and Primal Scream either live or on a slightly delayed transmission.

I remember a few of us trying to count up how many of our mates were there (a few) and getting soaked!

I vividly remember cowering in my  test listening to Come Together with a candle and bottle of wine. Great times.

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

I vividly remember cowering in my  test listening to Come Together with a candle and bottle of wine. Great times.

Some of those moments tend to live in the memories a lot more than the sunny ones....done plenty of muddy/rainy ones at Glastonbury despite 1997-98 being before started going so know the feeling!

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Some of those moments tend to live in the memories a lot more than the sunny ones....done plenty of muddy/rainy ones at Glastonbury despite 1997-98 being before started going so know the feeling!

Sadly I reckon the chances of a mudbath/heatwave will increase year on year!

On 12/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, BlueDaze said:

they didnt play it when i saw them at Latitude a few years back.

Knobs.!

i have no time for that BS

James have always been like that though. Having unpredictable set lists and playing tunes from their whole catalogue has alsways been their ethos. Bit shit for the festival goer who only wants the anthems but it is the reason why they have retained a fan base and are still playing arenas, while their contemporaries are playing academies.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, eastynh said:

James have always been like that though. Having unpredictable set lists and playing tunes from their whole catalogue has alsways been their ethos. Bit shit for the festival goer who only wants the anthems but it is the reason why they have retained a fan base and are still playing arenas, while their contemporaries are playing academies.

My point exactly...

play to the crowd in front of you, not the beard strokers you think you deserve..

7 hours ago, eastynh said:

James are very much an academy band, they only did arenas last year because it was a joint tour with the Charlatans.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 8:47 AM, Hugh Jass said:

James are very much an academy band, they only did arenas last year because it was a joint tour with the Charlatans.

Would agree, saw them at Oxford academy in 2014, then they headlined the Rob Da Bank organised Common People festival in 2018 and hardly any tickets sold as a lot of people under the age of 30 hadn't heard of them (until they heard Sit Down)

As a Scotland fan was never going to watch the football but even if they had been playing I would have chosen Ray over it. Was one of my highlights of 2010. I also caught snippets of Slash beforehand as walking around doing Paradise City and Sweet Child which was great.