Euro 2020 match dates

kalifire

Apologies if this is old news but given the draw for next year has taken place, I thought I’d look at the dates England are playing and it turns out there’s a match on the Tuesday before the festival and potentially the Monday following. So the festival narrowly avoids having to deal with the folk who’d like to watch the games. 

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Apologies if this is old news but given the draw for next year has taken place, I thought I’d look at the dates England are playing and it turns out there’s a match on the Tuesday before the festival and potentially the Monday following. So the festival narrowly avoids having to deal with the folk who’d like to watch the games. 

Thank fuck for that, it’s bad enough being Scottish and seeing everyone else enjoy their team playing in a major championship whilst we languish at home, though this year there is an outside chance we could slip in the back door via a play off! 

Actually don’t believe the stereotype that we don’t support England, I would love to see them do well. Anyway Glastonbury’s  all about peace, love and harmony, national borders broken down and we are all one big happy family! 

not too bothered either way ... I remember watching the Portugal match one year and the atmosphere was superb ... even though I was watching it through the window of an ice cream van that used to be parked at the bottom of the pyramid field ... I remember that the bbc coverage would show the Glastonbury crowd ... more fans in that field than in the stadium ... have also watched the Germany match and despite the disappointing result you just get back to enjoying the festival after and what better way do you have to get any disappointment out of your system ? 

I won't be disappointed that its not happening during the festival either as my time off should hopefully cover those days and we will be out by the quarter finals anyway :) ..

• Upvote 2

For what it's worth, barring a 3rd place finish in the group, we're safe from Football for a while yet - the 2022 World Cup has been moved to Nov+Dec, and 2024 is currently scheduled to be a fallow year for the festival, so the next time it might clash would be World Cup 2026 in USA/Mexico/Canada.

1 minute ago, incident said:

For what it's worth, barring a 3rd place finish in the group, we're safe from Football for a while yet - the 2022 World Cup has been moved to Nov+Dec, and 2024 is currently scheduled to be a fallow year for the festival, so the next time it might clash would be World Cup 2026 in USA/Mexico/Canada.

is it time to worry about tickets for 2026 yet ?

32 minutes ago, incident said:

Surely with the time differences matches will be played in the middle of the night anyway? In theory a headliner could finish at midnight then they could stick the match on afterwards.

Going back to the Euros, I’ve got tickets to all three England games so it’ll be the Czech Republic game on the Tuesday night then off to the festival.

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thank fuck for that, it’s bad enough being Scottish and seeing everyone else enjoy their team playing in a major championship whilst we languish at home, though this year there is an outside chance we could slip in the back door via a play off!

De fault! De fault! De fault! 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Surely with the time differences matches will be played in the middle of the night anyway? In theory a headliner could finish at midnight then they could stick the match on afterwards.

You mean in 2026? Think it's a bit early to be worrying about that.

30 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

If England come second, their first knockout stage match will be in Copenhagen. Just so happens that I'll be flying there that day. Could be fun...

Is it difficult to get tickets for euro matches? Never tried

Being Scottish how the fuck should I know? 

This year as we have reached the heady heights of a play off I’m going for the resale! 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

not too bothered either way ... I remember watching the Portugal match one year and the atmosphere was superb ... even though I was watching it through the window of an ice cream van that used to be parked at the bottom of the pyramid field ... I remember that the bbc coverage would show the Glastonbury crowd ... more fans in that field than in the stadium ... have also watched the Germany match and despite the disappointing result you just get back to enjoying the festival after and what better way do you have to get any disappointment out of your system ?

I won't be disappointed that its not happening during the festival either as my time off should hopefully cover those days and we will be out by the quarter finals anyway :) ..

One of my favourite Pymild memories is that England v Portugal game ('04). Even though we lost. First time I'd entered that field for nine years and I did so just as we scored. The cheer that went up during the half time analysis when they showed us on the telly reacting to the goal.

Motty: "And this is Glastonbury. The festival's started. There are more people watching there than in the actual stadium".

An excellent experience :). Imagine the atmosphere if we'd won.

I will never stop questioning (i.e. taking the piss out of) those who chose England v Germany over Slash in '10. Hmm, what is more likely to happen again? Slash playing Glastonbury, or England playing Germany at football?

I'm also glad that it's Tuesday and Monday this time. Looks like Radio 5 Live on the way there and back then.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

For the later rounds it wont be as severe. Apparently FIFA is going to have the tournament go from coast to coast. Group play starts in the west and matches will progress east for knockout and then championship matches. So then youll only have a 5 hour time difference for likely 4 matches. They wanted to limit travel time and jet lag so this seems like a fair way to do it. I just hate that theyll have to play on the east coast at the end when its going to be insanely humid mid July which is just a bad idea compared to in the west where there are stadiums that have roofs so the climate can be controlled better if need be. Unless they make the final games in the evening, which would likely make the rest of the world have to watch in the wee hours. But surely FIFA will find other ways to screw everyone over here in the states as it is. 

1 hour ago, Brad2434 said:

I’ll be in the campervan fields on that Tuesday of the England game, will there be anywhere local we could walk to to watch the game? Or will I just have to make do with it on my phone

depends how local you want but Glastonbury or street willl have it on somewhere im sure .... or you could stream it from your phone to a bigger tablet ?

13 hours ago, henry bear said:

I was watching Madness on the Pyramid in 1986 as the infamous ‘Hand of God’ England v Argentina match was in progress. After the first number, Suggs (obviously pissed off to be missing the match) announced ‘I think we’ve got time for one more’

:D 

Were you there in 1998?  I remember Foo Fighters being on the Pyramid and about half way through their set a good chunk of the crowd just turning and leaving to get up to the designated field (what's now the John Peel field) to watch England v Colombia.

Apparently James were meant to be playing in that slot, but refused, causing a few years' animosity between them and the festival.

Edited by fatyeti24

9 hours ago, Brad2434 said:

I’ll be in the campervan fields on that Tuesday of the England game, will there be anywhere local we could walk to to watch the game? Or will I just have to make do with it on my phone

if i get tickets, it will be on the telly in my caravan... ?

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

:D 

Were you there in 1998?  I remember Foo Fighters being on the Pyramid and about half way through their set a good chunk of the crowd just turning and leaving to get up to the designated field (what's now the John Peel field) to watch England v Colombia.

Apparently James were meant to be playing in that slot, but refused, causing a few years' animosity between them and the festival.

Wasn’t there for that. I was though in the crowd at Wembley watching the Stones whilst England were playing West Germany in the 1990 WC semi. Obviously pre-widescale mobile phone use, all eyes were on the media/VIP boxes, where people were obviously more interested in watching the TVs than watching the Stones. Some has sneaked radios in. Ultimately, the crowd was restless. Some knew what was going on, most didn’t - although we could make educated guesses from the initial groan when WG scored, and the cheer when Lineker equalised. And Jagger shouted ‘C’mon England’.