Butlins live weekends

fluff164

Just a quick question from me - having attended a few of the themed weekends at Butlins and enjoyed them all, what’s everyone’s else’s feelings about them if attended?

I read all the reviews on here and generally they are great.

A load of us that met at Glastonbury are doing Rockaway Beach for the 2nd year in Jan

So - is this the future of all year round festivals if ‘festival’ is the correct term

Edited by fluff164

We're also going to Rockaway Beach in the new year, but haven't been to any of their events previously. Have you been to any at the Bognor site before?

From a pre-festival viewpoint, £80 pp for 3 nights accommodation and a really solid line-up is ridiculous value. The dates being outside of the usual peak touring/festival periods helps too, as does the possibility of other non-musical activities on and off site (further aided by the lack of self-imposed pressure to see everything due to the cheapness of the ticket). Obviously the word-of-mouth is great and I was therefore surprised to see that Rockaway Beach wasn't sold out when I last checked - what do you think prevents them being instant sell outs?

Been to the last two Rockaway Beaches but can’t make this year unfortunately. I think it’s brilliant. There are no band clashes so you can see everyone if you want. Afternoon and early evening are in the smaller Reds venue and the evening and night is in the bigger place.

if you want a break from music there’s always the sports bar or you can have a stroll along the front. There’s a another bar where they do album playbacks which is pretty good too.

Mid Jan is not an ideal time for many cash wise so I guess that’s why it struggles to sell out although it must be cheaper to get the venue at that time of year.

I did go to Shiine On in Minehead a couple of years ago which I also enjoyed but it is much much busier and more of a lads lads lads experience. 

• 1 month later...

Just on our way back from Rockaway Beach and its definitely something I'd recommend. £80pp for 3 nights accommodation and festival wristband; about 25 bands, with no clashes; lots of other entertainment - bars, arcades, record fair, pool (although only for 3 hours on Saturday, which wasn't particularly well advertised), films, interviews, signings, spa; close to town and the station, with the chance to blow the cobwebs away on the beach; surprisingly good food options - nothing special, but there were decent enough vegan options (tip - the waffle / pancake place behind the town hall is the best place for dessert or breakfast!). 

Negatives for us were the short pool time (as mentioned), having to change rooms twice (smoky, then already occupied) and a few creepy old men (sort yourselves out). 

All in all a great weekend and perfect timing for me in order to have a relaxing few days post-Christmas and something to look forward to amongst the January dreariness! 

We went to Rockaway Beach for first time this year too. I thought it was really good, and excellent value for £80 a head. Good mix of music and plenty of other things going on. Enjoyed the Ska-nold Schwarznegger 2-tone tennis thing, and Dom & John DJs always fun.

Interesting you mention about creepy old men - two of our party were a bit creeped out by one guy, who incidentally we nicknamed 'Banter Guy' as he had the annoying habit of shouting out 'Banterrrrrrr' at any act who he felt weren't interacting with the audience in a funny enough way.

I would agree with comments above that proximity to Xmas probably explains it not selling out. We will certainly be looking to go again next year though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RustySpanner said:

Interesting you mention about creepy old men - two of our party were a bit creeped out by one guy, who incidentally we nicknamed 'Banter Guy' as he had the annoying habit of shouting out 'Banterrrrrrr' at any act who he felt weren't interacting with the audience in a funny enough way.

Haha! 'Banter guy' was definitely one of those I had in mind! I think Black Country, New Road in particular looks a bit perturbed by his comment and some others of a barely disguised sexual nature during their set.

My review for eFestivals of this years Rockaway Beach should be complete and published in the next couple of days. I'll share a link to it here when it is.

Really interested to read the comments above. I had a fine time at my first Rockaway Beach and my review largely reflects that. The value on offer really does make it stand out as a winter festival. I was actually pretty taken aback by the demographic of the crowd - given the focus on breakthrough and emerging, there were more punters of the vintage variety than I was expecting - and some of them did seem to have missed the memo that we're no longer in the 1970's. It's an absolute shame that creepy, old men can still get away with things at gigs.. down to all of us to stamp such behaviour out I guess..

Best,

Sean

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, John L said:

Just had an email asking me if I want to buy a “Ticket to Ride” for next year’s event. I wonder if that’s a not too subtle clue that Ride will be there?

They are the right sort of band and right sort of size to headline this event?

yeah, reckon they probably are.

Tickets are currently £75.