Cover Versions vs Originals

Quark

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yeah, dont see it happening although he's definitely not as high profile as he used to be. Be good though. Get some of the earlier stuff from Children, American Family and Antichrist going and I'd be all over it :D

Have to say I'm not a massive fan of the Personal Jesus cover. It's ok, but like the Cash one that @eastynh brought up they didn't do anything massively different in terms of the feel of the song for me. And DM's is better!

Here is DM trying to use part of the Johnny Cash version and totally ruining it. I am all for bands trying different edits live (The version of Everything Counts they are playing live is absolutely stunning), but this is terrible.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Here is DM trying to use part of the Johnny Cash version and totally ruining it. I am all for bands trying different edits live (The version of Everything Counts they are playing live is absolutely stunning), but this is terrible.

Hmm, we'll chalk that one down as "ill-advised" :lol:

At least they didn't run the whole thing with it!

I'm very surprised no-one has mentioned:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Police And Thieves - The Clash

Teardrop - Elbow

Walk this Way - Run DMC

Green Manalishi - Judas Priest

Whiskey In The Jar - Thin Lizzy

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Only Love Can Break Your Heart - St Etienne

Black Steel - Tricky

Sorrow - David Bowie

My personal favourite ever is Johnny Cash's version of Hurt

And the one that makes me cringe every time is the Fugees trampling of Killing Me Softly With His Song

• Upvote 1

Just now, Quark said:

Hmm, we'll chalk that one down as "ill-advised" :lol:

At least they didn't run the whole thing with it!

I went 5 times on that tour. Worked out perfectly for me. Because it was coming towards the end of the show, the bars were empty. I could get to the bar while they were playing silly biggers and be back with a few beers for the final push, before the tune kicked in properly.

Thankfully they have gone back to the best live version where they extend it with parts from the pump panel remix.

Are we allowed to put remixes that are better than the original in here? Or is it strictly covers?

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Possibly Bowie's lowest moment:

How can such a great artists cover such a great song and the results be so, so bad?

Yeah, that's not good.

I am not a fan of his version of across the universe either, but then again am not a big fan of the original... so maybe it's just the tune I don't like?

I dont like Lennon's version of stand by me. Some tunes shouldnt be touched though. Ben E. King's version is perfect. Leave it alone. It won't be bettered.

There are a few tunes that should never be covered. 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yeah, that's not good.

I am not a fan of his version of across the universe either, but then again am not a big fan of the original... so maybe it's just the tune I don't like?

I dont like Lennon's version of stand by me. Some tunes shouldnt be touched though. Ben E. King's version is perfect. Leave it alone. It won't be bettered.

I do like the original Across The Universe, but don't like Bowie's version. Funny thing about Bowie's covers, I don't think I've ever liked one* of his covers where I was already familiar with the original (Sorrow was ok, I suppose, but not brilliant). Whereas the covers where I didn't know the original (e.g. Fill Your Heart, Wild Is The Wind) I like almost as much as some of his own compositions. Maybe it's because of the kinds of changes he makes aren't very good at preserving the spirit of the original song? 

* Thought of an exception. I do like Let's Spend The Night Together, despite the changing of the phrasing.

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I do like the original Across The Universe, but don't like Bowie's version. Funny thing about Bowie's covers, I don't think I've ever liked one* of his covers where I was already familiar with the original (Sorrow was ok, I suppose, but not brilliant). Whereas the covers where I didn't know the original (e.g. Fill Your Heart, Wild Is The Wind) I like almost as much as some of his own compositions. Maybe it's because of the kinds of changes he makes aren't very good at preserving the spirit of the original song? 

* Thought of an exception. I do like Let's Spend The Night Together, despite the changing of the phrasing.

Maybe. I do prefer someone making a song their own though. Like you, I am not a big fan of his covers either.

China Girl, I don't class as a cover, as Bowie was a co writer. Even though Iggy Pop did it 1st.

Someone different, but I love this cover:

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Yeah, that's not good.

Blue Monday

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Not a "cover", but..

I actually seen New Order mix part of the Kylie tune into Blue Monday when they played the Move festival at Old Trafford. There used to be a video on youtube but I can't find it. Kylies version is better than New Orders attempt.