Cover Versions vs Originals

Quark

3 for the price of one. They also did a really haunting version of Love Ill Tear Us Apart to end their Manchester Castlefield Bowl show a few years ago.

A newie cover of a relative newie.

Better than it has any right to be.

Probably my favourite: 

Shout out to Prince completely owning this cover - shame about the sound quality (AND WHERE DOES HIS GUITAR GO AT THE END??): 

I've seen Eels loads of times over the years and they always play a few different covers each tour. The ones from the earlier tours are probably better, there's a super live version of If I was your girlfriend on their B sides album but there isn't a good youtube of it, likewise for a cover of Damn I wish I was your lover. Got a lot of love for this one - there's a studio version on the best of vol i. 

E proper loves Prince, so they have covered him a lot over the years. This is probably the best one (from the best tour) EDIT apologies for rubbish sound quality again - hit that shit up on spotify

Edited by sirjonnyp
noting poor audio quality

Ah this is one of my favourite topics and always used to be an ice breaker if I started working with a new team so I could weed out the ones who weren't interested in music. 

I like ones that bring something different to the song and are not too faithful a reproduction although sometimes just a different voice can be nice. 

Lots of great ones already mentioned Kirsty MacColl's - A New England and Days are both wonderful. I love Kate Rusby's version of Village Green Preservation Society as well. Will Young's version of Hey Ya is great. Sinead O'Connor's Queen Of Denmark is fabulous. 

On 12/5/2019 at 11:06 PM, Slugworth said:

Was chatting with my old man tonight about covers. His initial, on the spot, favourite was Stereophonics, Hand rags. Not for me but ok.

What he did say though was Elvis covers were somewhat of a no go. Huh?

Thinking about it though i kind of get what he meant. There are only a few Elvis songs that have been done well, right?

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 11:06 PM, Slugworth said:

Was chatting with my old man tonight about covers. His initial, on the spot, favourite was Stereophonics, Hand rags. Not for me but ok.

By chance over the course of three weekends a couple of years ago I saw three performances of Handbags and Gladrags:  Mike D'Abo (who wrote it), Chris Farlowe (who first released it and had a hit with it) and The Stereophonics, who covered it.

Chris Farlowe's performance was superb and left the others standing.  He's still doing the occasional gig at the age of 79 and is well worth catching.  Would make a great Acoustic Stage performer at Glastonbury.

Edited by grumpyhack
  • Upvote 1

Always loved this one purely for the fun factor.  I'm also a sucker for videos where the band are clearly just dicking about :D

Second one's a bit different, remember buying the album when it came out and hearing this as the untitled track at the end. Grew up on the Stones from my dad, absolutely loved this version.

Heavier, faster seems to work for me when it comes to covers (see Pixies Head On Vs JAMC version)...always been a big fan of this one...wonder if the recent LA shows were it, or whether they could pop up again next year...

<

>

Edited by Toilet Duck
Edit: didn't embed first time...(been a while!)

• 2 weeks later...