Cover Versions vs Originals

Quark

After much thought, my favourite ‘cover’ is Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love, because it’s the song that got me into rock music and remains an absolute favourite.

it’s hugely influenced by Willie Dixon’s You Need Love but also they made it their own, so arguable whether a cover of not. When does influenced by become ripped off...?

3 hours ago, tjamest said:

Ashamed to say that it was only when i saw John Fogerty supporting Bruce Springsteen a few years ago that i realised that Status Quo's Rocking all over the world was a cover version!

He closed his Glasto set in 2007 with it! Which was actually a pain in the arse as he hadn't played Long as I can see the light, run through the jungle, Susie Q or even Proud Mary...so was slightly disappointed with the last song in an otherwise epic set! I believe playing it as an encore landed him in some hot water with the festival, should've made it count!

Was chatting with my old man tonight about covers. His initial, on the spot, favourite was Stereophonics, Hand rags. Not for me but ok.

What he did say though was Elvis covers were somewhat of a no go. Huh?

Thinking about it though i kind of get what he meant. There are only a few Elvis songs that have been done well, right?