Campervan field solo

ghinzani

So got a ticket for the 50th in my 50th year. Got a campervan ticket too. Even been offered the loan of a friends Transit dayvan. Unfortunately my mates I've always been with didnt get tickets so I am heading there on my own (although will be family & people I know there). However I will be on my own with the Camper . Aim to get there on the Tuesday. Anybody envision any issues or suggest things I might need to take into consideration? Last time I was in the campervan field was the 2000's with a 1970s brown and orange trailer tent, I guess things have moved on a bit. 

It must qualify as a suitable campervan - Glastonbury's definition here https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/#suitablefittedfacilities

Also worth taking some levelling chocks.

Fiamma Van Levelling Chocks  Pair

10 hours ago, ghinzani said:

Last time I was in the campervan field was the 2000's with a 1970s brown and orange trailer tent, I guess things have moved on a bit. 

I don't think the campervan fields have moved on. Maybe expanded a bit, perhaps more modern vehicles, but likely to be very much as you remember them. They're just fields, with water points and portaloos, and the odd food stall. Remember where you're parked, make friends with your neighbours, you'll be fine.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:32 AM, grumpyhack said:

It must qualify as a suitable campervan - Glastonbury's definition here https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/#suitablefittedfacilities

Also worth taking some levelling chocks.

Fiamma Van Levelling Chocks  Pair

Yep its got a day bed, leisure battery  & leccy points and a microwave and TV, should pass as all carpeted etc. Good shout on the chocs, got a set from my old race van somewhere I can use.

7 hours ago, ghinzani said:

Yep its got a day bed, leisure battery  & leccy points and a microwave and TV, should pass as all carpeted etc. Good shout on the chocs, got a set from my old race van somewhere I can use.

There are no electric hook ups and I'm not sure how long the leisure battery will last powering a microwave.  I save mine for the TV.

Brave Sir Robin is absolutely right about making friends with your neighbours. We've made some great friends over the years from our time in CV East and look forward to a meet up every year.  Also remember if you are going with friends in another camper you need to meet up beforehand and go in together as you can't reserve spots for later arrivals.

Edited by grumpyhack

9 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

There are no electric hook ups and I'm not sure how long the leisure battery will last powering a microwave.  I save mine for the TV.

Brave Sir Robin is absolutely right about making friends with your neighbours. We've made some great friends over the years from our time in CV East and look forward to a meet up every year.  Also remember if you are going with friends in another camper you need to meet up beforehand and go in together as you can't reserve spots for later arrivals.

Yep no intention of using the microwave but may take a solar panel in the vain hope the sun helps keep the leisure battery topped up.
Unfortunately all my other friends who were going to come in the camper failed to get tickets, hoping something happens in the resale though. Do have friends who are non-camper going though. As you say looking forward to meeting new neighbours, aim to get in on the Tuesday and not leave till Monday. If you are going you might as well make the most of it, eh?

well it certainly looks like they packed them in a bit cozy in 2004.....

my experience of the last few years is that you may get a bit more ball room than back then...

As you stated, turn up on the tuesday, make the most of your week and have a great festival....!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 7:53 AM, carlosj said:

Wouldn't think so. As long as you have something to get water, a roller etc, you'll be fine. Maybe a flag pole and lights to help find your van at the end of the night /morning.

Flagpole a great idea, complete with St Pirans flag. I'd never thought of lights though, thats a smart idea, maybe an LED coloured garden light. 

On 11/29/2019 at 7:53 AM, carlosj said:

Wouldn't think so. As long as you have something to get water, a roller etc, you'll be fine. Maybe a flag pole and lights to help find your van at the end of the night /morning.

These things are cheaper than I anticipated too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquaroll-Hitchman-Economy-Litre-Carrier/dp/B07P6L48HQ/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=water+roller&qid=1575864945&sr=8-10

• 2 weeks later...

14 hours ago, ghinzani said:

Anyone know whats the earliest you can safely arrive these days on the Tuesday and start queueing?

Official stance is midday on Tuesday. I am sure that there are many on here that will describe how they turn up in the vicinity early hours or even overnight and park up in laybys until the site opens to get first in...

They wont let you queue up on the road, officials will wave you past the turning.. so you have to turn up when the entrance roads are opened... we usually turn up about 13:00-14:00 and are parked up within 30 mins (you have a ticket and possibly van check and then a queue on the narrow roads to site..)

My view is that the festival do this (Tuesday opening) for all the right reasons.. They want to get a load of the campervan/caravan traffic off the roads before the masses turn up, easing congestion.. Good traffic management is obviously a part of their licence requirement. If they let people in early am, people will just start turning up early am in greater numbers.. Traffic management looks bad, licence people get the ache..

Not sure where you live but we set off around 06:00 to ensure we are on motorway network towing before the local rush hour begins.. we stop for breakfast half way and meet up with friends 10-15 miles from site to convoy in together and ensure we park up together...

We take an awning, tents, tables & chairs, bbq, windbreakers, flagpoles, lights, the lot...and are set up in a couple of hours (including beer breaks)...  thats plenty early enough..

Dont stress about it.. just be excited for it.. get there safe and crack open the beers... At least you've got a ticket you lucky bugger!

Edited by BlueDaze

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

If you're in East head to the top of the hill overlooking the festival on the Tuesday evening with some drink and just sit and take in the view, plenty of people up there, and a lovely lovely atmosphere

The view from the top of the HoD is one of the finest on the festival site.  From memory there is a burger/food van there so take a chair, something to drink and enjoy the tingle of looking at the site.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

The view from the top of the HoD is one of the finest on the festival site.  From memory there is a burger/food van there so take a chair, something to drink and enjoy the tingle of looking at the site.

Totally agree and yes there are a few food stalls, and everyones sociable and theres an air of anticipation around as people take a first look at the site, the lights start coming on and the queue starts forming with campers ready to queue and camp … its quite magical .

On 12/27/2019 at 2:32 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Totally agree and yes there are a few food stalls, and everyones sociable and theres an air of anticipation around as people take a first look at the site, the lights start coming on and the queue starts forming with campers ready to queue and camp … its quite magical .

ah my friends may be in that camping queue. If any of them want to come in early can they come in with me?

There is a feeling of relief if you've got set up in the CV Field and are chilling on Tuesday evening at the top of the hill to see all the campers patiently queuing,  knowing that they've still got to lug all their stuff in, find a spot and make camp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ghinzani said:

ah my friends may be in that camping queue. If any of them want to come in early can they come in with me?

as many as can fit legally in your van... they can spend the day with you and join the front of the queue at the bottom of the HoD during the night... or they can camp with you by your van for one night or the whole festival..

If they drive on their own then they will have to come later and park up in the car parks overnight.

13 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

as many as can fit legally in your van... they can spend the day with you and join the front of the queue at the bottom of the HoD during the night... or they can camp with you by your van for one night or the whole festival..

If they drive on their own then they will have to come later and park up in the car parks overnight.

Ah thats a good idea was thinking of offering some lifts out.