Your first Glastonbury

upshitcreek

2010. The scorcher year. Also Muse & Stevie Wonder.

Coming in on the top deck of the bus, I saw the sprawling mass that is Glastonbury. I was blown away before I’d even got through the gates!

My uni mates had told me for years to bin off Reading and go to Glastonbury. I was lucky enough this time to pay attention. It was so nice having them show me & my now ex around, I wouldn’t have seen half the things I saw that year otherwise (e.g. binning off Gorillaz for Flips & all the micro venues in the old Shangri La lanes).

Edited by Bisque

• 4 months later...

A few of my friends had been going from 1997 onwards and I kept saying I’ll go next year etc and never made it.

Finally got round to getting tickets aged 22 in 2004 and never looked back.

I recall the tickets went on sale on a Thursday evening in April and I finally got through online at 6am on the Friday morning.  Think it was the first year it had gone proper bonkers to get tickets.

Went down on the Wednesday early evening, I recall the weather couldn’t make its mind up between sun and rain all weekend, we camped in Tops Webb Ash nr the Pyramid. (Easy to camp there even Wednesday night back then)

First big memory is watching England v Portugal in Euro 2004 on the Pyramid Field screen on the Thursday night....was a complete mosh pit for Frank Lampards goal that was disallowed!

Sacked Oasis off to see The Chemical Brothers, also saw Lost Prophets, James Brown, Muse, Orbital, Black Eyed Peas, Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Supergrass and others I can’t recall. 

Our initial group of 6 in 2004 kept going up and had swelled to 25 by 2011, and has then slowly drifted back down to around 3-4 of us who still try for tickets each year.

Most people have given up going due to kids/mortgages etc but I think for now I’ll keep wanting to go each year.  Even when we failed for tickets for 2019 I worked for Shelter on the Stonebridge bar and met up with friends down there during my time off.

The site has got a lot bigger since that year (no SE corner, Park stage and Dance was just a singular tent) , even since 2004 it’s got a lot more mainstream I still enjoy going each year and I somewhat kick myself that I didn’t go earlier, especially in the pre-superfence wild days but i still have a lot of great memories from the ones I’ve been to. :) 

6C7064E2-427B-4F2F-9A4D-357581ED8FBF.jpeg

Edited by gooner1990
  • Upvote 1

On 12/14/2019 at 2:21 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd like to know what year that I first went, but have no recollection at all of what year it was. I've asked mates, but they've looked at me blankly as if to say 'how the fuck would we know, because we can't remember anything either'. 

Funny enough one of the people who was with me in 1979 is called Kev ' and No it was not you '  !!!!

The bunch { - it was a Folk band and the female singer was Kevs girlfriend } all ended up with a free pass so I am not even sure if they issued wrist bands in 1979 as I can only find this bunch { although I have the paper tickets for the missing years } and all the rest are crew wrist bands { but sadly no tickets for most years {they were not issued to WBC crew}

top image is from the 80's - I must process more 35 mm negatives as I have loads but its a time consuming job.

Out of that bunch who was with me in 1979 they all gave up Glastonbury in the 80's mainly due to the quagmire of 1985 - that sealed the fate for many.

so if you cant remember the year - can you remember which decade ?

Happy 6th wedding anniversary {yesterday} sorry it had to fall at such strange times. 

work55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg

• Upvote 1

2008 for me!

Went to my first one with my mum and dad (they've been going since 2004? I think?)

Me and my friend pitched our tent next to parents campervan, never saw them again til the Monday morning when we were leaving :lol: 

My dad had told me how incredible Glastonbury is, and how massive the site is but nothing he could have told me would have prepared me for it. That feeling that you get when you first see the site, either on the drive in or when you get to the queue / gate is just something else!!

I've been every year since (except 2019)  and I met some of my best friends at Glastonbury - 2009!! Shoutout Lucyginger! :) The place is just magical... Roll on 2021 :D 

Edited by Wellyboot
cant spell!!
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Funny enough one of the people who was with me in 1979 is called Kev ' and No it was not you '  !!!!

The bunch { - it was a Folk band and the female singer was Kevs girlfriend } all ended up with a free pass so I am not even sure if they issued wrist bands in 1979 as I can only find this bunch { although I have the paper tickets for the missing years } and all the rest are crew wrist bands { but sadly no tickets for most years {they were not issued to WBC crew}

top image is from the 80's - I must process more 35 mm negatives as I have loads but its a time consuming job.

Out of that bunch who was with me in 1979 they all gave up Glastonbury in the 80's mainly due to the quagmire of 1985 - that sealed the fate for many.

so if you cant remember the year - can you remember which decade ?

Happy 6th wedding anniversary {yesterday} sorry it had to fall at such strange times. 

work55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg

Hello glasto-worker,

Thanks ever so much for the wedding anniversary best wishes nod. Appreciated. It and this weekend was looking disastrous for the pair of us. That was until a certain person/ hero came to our rescue (Jamie). He has not only injected money in to the situation, but a variety of pharmaceuticals too. How fab and considerate is that!?

I'm afraid that I can't even remember what decade it was when I first went to Glastonbury. I think it was the late 80's, but could have been the early 90's. As I wasn't paying any attention to the bands, it's hard to back track to establish the year. As I've said before, I've asked my mates what year it was, and they've just stared at me and said 'how do you expect us to know'? 

2019 for me. Was meant to go in 1994 but chose reading based on the headliners. Been dying to go since but life and not getting tickets has meant I didn't get the opportunity. Gutted didn't get 2020 tickets but fingers crossed for resale. Kids desperate to come this time as they thought glastonbury was for old people like me, and  full of old white male guitar bands.

They wished they had been there last year as I got to see stormzy, Dave and billie eilish. They are 15 and 13 years old. Never heard of Paul mcartney, or the Beatles, think Taylor swift is a has been but want to see aitch, aj tracey, Mabel etc. I am not bothered about anyone on the 2020 line up but absolutely desperate to go back. I am hooked

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

Thanks ever so much for the wedding anniversary best wishes nod. Appreciated. It and this weekend was looking disastrous for the pair of us. That was until a certain person/ hero came to our rescue (Jamie). He has not only injected money in to the situation, but a variety of pharmaceuticals too. How fab and considerate is that!?

I'm afraid that I can't even remember what decade it was when I first went to Glastonbury. I think it was the late 80's, but could have been the early 90's. As I wasn't paying any attention to the bands, it's hard to back track to establish the year. As I've said before, I've asked my mates what year it was, and they've just stared at me and said 'how do you expect us to know'? 

My god you do have it bad - I am sure you were out in your back garden with a big bonfire !!! good to hear you got a injection of cash and I am sure it was a good night.  

Which leads me onto a Glasto story - this had to have been 1987 or a previous year because 1987 was the last time I camped in public camping

so it was the 80's - we were camping ' not in our usual spot { which was by the red dot } - fuck knows why we could not camp there - so it was close to { blue dot - or the next field { sorry did not take a GPS reading  } - so could have been 1986 or 1987 anyway it was still when people could have a fire ' outside their tent ' which was always a great concern # if it got close to our tents #

One morning { very early morning } I heard two space Cadets clearly fucked out their head and one said to the other ' lets have a fire ' !!! - at that I got dressed as they must have been camping next to our tents and I was worried these two jokers would not spot if it got out of control - Lucky I did check - they were well out of it.

## at first they were just staggering about and no way were they prepared to have a fire ' as they did not have any wood ' but I just sat down having a smoke - making sure they could see me ##

But then space Cadet #1 said to space Cadet #2 - I know the quickest way ' lets burn down our tent ' and at that one set fire of their bloody tent. 

## lucky enough this was about 8 feet to out nearest tents so no real danger but I hung about just to see when it would sink in on them that they had burnt their tent including sleeping bags etc etc ##

Funny enough it was not a big fire but embers were being blown about but ' away from our tents '

I am sure it was a Friday as I did wonder how the hell they were going to survive for another few days.

not sure what the space Cadets were on but clearly it was not doing them any good by making such a daft decision.

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpgGlastonbury-84-site-map.thumb.jpg.6fdbec39ae68dc893e386fcb379e70d9.jpg

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

My god you do have it bad - I am sure you were out in your back garden with a big bonfire !!! good to hear you got a injection of cash and I am sure it was a good night.  

Which leads me onto a Glasto story - this had to have been 1987 or a previous year because 1987 was the last time I camped in public camping

so it was the 80's - we were camping ' not in our usual spot { which was by the red dot } - fuck knows why we could not camp there - so it was close to { blue dot - or the next field { sorry did not take a GPS reading  } - so could have been 1986 or 1987 anyway it was still when people could have a fire ' outside their tent ' which was always a great concern # if it got close to our tents #

One morning { very early morning } I heard two space Cadets clearly fucked out their head and one said to the other ' lets have a fire ' !!! - at that I got dressed as they must have been camping next to our tents and I was worried these two jokers would not spot if it got out of control - Lucky I did check - they were well out of it.

## at first they were just staggering about and no way were they prepared to have a fire ' as they did not have any wood ' but I just sat down having a smoke - making sure they could see me ##

But then space Cadet #1 said to space Cadet #2 - I know the quickest way ' lets burn down our tent ' and at that one set fire of their bloody tent. 

## lucky enough this was about 8 feet to out nearest tents so no real danger but I hung about just to see when it would sink in on them that they had burnt their tent including sleeping bags etc etc ##

Funny enough it was not a big fire but embers were being blown about but ' away from our tents '

I am sure it was a Friday as I did wonder how the hell they were going to survive for another few days.

not sure what the space Cadets were on but clearly it was not doing them any good by making such a daft decision.

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpgGlastonbury-84-site-map.thumb.jpg.6fdbec39ae68dc893e386fcb379e70d9.jpg

Hello glasto-worker,

Normally I'd consider myself reasonably sane, but on reflection, I think that last night I may have erred towards the space cadet myself.  However, despite the roaring fire I managed to 'create' no small animals or creatures came to any harm. The same cannot be said of my own head though. Ho hum!

Just to say (and needlessly so) I've witnessed two complete spanners like that also. Me and a friend had to fashion a tent for them to live in out of the bits of tent that they had left after giving it a bash themselves. They were shockingly deranged and incapable. Now that would normally be the pot calling the kettle black, but not in this instance.

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

Normally I'd consider myself reasonably sane, but on reflection, I think that last night I may have erred towards the space cadet myself.  However, despite the roaring fire I managed to 'create' no small animals or creatures came to any harm. The same cannot be said of my own head though. Ho hum!

Just to say (and needlessly so) I've witnessed two complete spanners like that also. Me and a friend had to fashion a tent for them to live in out of the bits of tent that they had left after giving it a bash themselves. They were shockingly deranged and incapable. Now that would normally be the pot calling the kettle black, but not in this instance.

it was the early 80's  { I can be that close as I can still picture who was around our Camp fire - and yes as a Old Boy scout it was set up correctly and even had stones to contain the spread }  - anyway we were all standing  about this cracking fire when a single space Cadet was staggering past and he came close to us and said ' I cant find my tent - have you seen my Tent ? ' - well funny enough No as we had never seen this Joker before - I asked ' what Colour was it ? ' and he said Blue which really cracked us up as every third tent was blue - anyway I pointed to the right and said - well there is some blue tents over there - and away he walked - wind forward two or so hours and this joker appeared again and repeated his question - he had not a clue he had asked us before so this time I sent him to the left and he staggered away # but this time did not return # so perhaps he found his tent or perhaps he is still there trying to find it.

so I take it you did not burn down the cabin - did you use one of your fancy  fire holders ? { the split down lawn roller }

at least your still standing.

No dates for the images .

331_o.thumb.jpg.9109120104814ca29952d3932a41796b.jpg315_o.thumb.jpg.231cc1ad4ded38863ed87dc2c68d97c7.jpg589_o.thumb.jpg.d97483919a533fad5d2ec32684b979c9.jpg

2010 it was a scorcher. I think on the Wednesday evening we went up to the Park and had some of the mezze. I hadn't even seen a band at that stage but it already felt like home. Whenever I am there I just have a happiness and peacefulness that makes me so content. I probably spent more time at the Pyramid that first year than any other year since but I had been out of the loop with music for a while and going to Glastonbury brought that back into my life as well. It really was a life changing experience for me. I could easily have gone the way of lots of friends who only ever listen to music from their youth and say music isn't like it used to be whilst never listening to anything new to be able to make that comparison in the first place. 

It keeps me youthful, curious and hopeful (most of the time). 

• Like 1

2015 for me.

The weather was pretty good. Some heavy rain on the Friday afternoon but it quickly dried out. 

Line-up for me was spot on. Not that I can remember a lot of it. To this day I still lie and say Florence and the Machine was amazing, but in truth I'm gutted that I can't remember a thing about it despite being at the full set.

I barely saw any of the site. We camped in Hitchen Hill and mostly went between Pyramid, Other and JP. 

Only a few years prior I had never been to a festival because I've had a bit of anxiety when it comes to large crowd and what they showed on tv made the crowds look so crammed. 

It was only in 2012 my mate who worked for a label had staff tickets for TITP so I went on the proviso that we had our own quiet camping spot (which we did) and we could leave at any point over the weekend (which she was happy to do). Th weather was shit. The site was a swamp. However, I loved every moment of it. I realised the crowds aren't as crammed as the tv makes it look.

So from that point onwards I loved any festival I have been to but Glastonbury is something different. I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I realise that I'm not going this year (or maybe even next year as wasn't lucky with the tickets). I have no idea why Glastonbury seems to have this affect on me, and so many others on here. 

There's literally no place like it. 

On 5/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, glasto-worker said:

it was the early 80's  { I can be that close as I can still picture who was around our Camp fire - and yes as a Old Boy scout it was set up correctly and even had stones to contain the spread }  - anyway we were all standing  about this cracking fire when a single space Cadet was staggering past and he came close to us and said ' I cant find my tent - have you seen my Tent ? ' - well funny enough No as we had never seen this Joker before - I asked ' what Colour was it ? ' and he said Blue which really cracked us up as every third tent was blue - anyway I pointed to the right and said - well there is some blue tents over there - and away he walked - wind forward two or so hours and this joker appeared again and repeated his question - he had not a clue he had asked us before so this time I sent him to the left and he staggered away # but this time did not return # so perhaps he found his tent or perhaps he is still there trying to find it.

so I take it you did not burn down the cabin - did you use one of your fancy  fire holders ? { the split down lawn roller }

at least your still standing.

No dates for the images .

331_o.thumb.jpg.9109120104814ca29952d3932a41796b.jpg315_o.thumb.jpg.231cc1ad4ded38863ed87dc2c68d97c7.jpg589_o.thumb.jpg.d97483919a533fad5d2ec32684b979c9.jpg

I'm pleased to say that the cabin is still standing. I am too, which is a remarkable feat after the last few days indulgences.

I'll get back to away from this site. I've not really done any email stuff, so have some catching up to do.

As ever, your photos of Glastonbury are top notch.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:31 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm pleased to say that the cabin is still standing. I am too, which is a remarkable feat after the last few days indulgences.

I'll get back to away from this site. I've not really done any email stuff, so have some catching up to do.

As ever, your photos of Glastonbury are top notch.

just ran into a few more of my shots 

the top one is from 1986 { I can tell by the yellow wrist band } - bottom one 1986 or before.

Now 1985 was very muddy and 1987 was very wet { but not as muddy as 1985 } but as you can see 1986 was scorching ' and it was the first year that the WBC ran all the main bars '

1986 was also the very first time The  Mutoid Waste Company was at Glastonbury  - I have tons of shots of their art work.

People I ran into in 1986 who had never been before ' just did not believe me ' when I told them how muddy it had been the year before.

and People I ran into in 1987 who had never been before ' just did not believe me ' when I told them how scorching it was in 1986.

I must dig out some more photos { but not this Month }

FIXED0002.thumb.jpg.97ba7fa1c4821ed6100005b3926076a0.jpgFIXED-0001.thumb.jpg.f60bbdbd513905cc41169043bf97da7f.jpg

6 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

just ran into a few more of my shots 

the top one is from 1986 { I can tell by the yellow wrist band } - bottom one 1986 or before.

Now 1985 was very muddy and 1987 was very wet { but not as muddy as 1985 } but as you can see 1986 was scorching ' and it was the first year that the WBC ran all the main bars '

1986 was also the very first time The  Mutoid Waste Company was at Glastonbury  - I have tons of shots of their art work.

People I ran into in 1986 who had never been before ' just did not believe me ' when I told them how muddy it had been the year before.

and People I ran into in 1987 who had never been before ' just did not believe me ' when I told them how scorching it was in 1986.

I must dig out some more photos { but not this Month }

FIXED0002.thumb.jpg.97ba7fa1c4821ed6100005b3926076a0.jpgFIXED-0001.thumb.jpg.f60bbdbd513905cc41169043bf97da7f.jpg

Lovely photos once again glasto-worker. I really like seeing the shots of the A frame tents. It brings me back to my first ever Glastonbury's as I took an A frame tent to my first 7 Glastonbury festivals. I used it a lot elsewhere in those 7 years too. However, I had to retire it for my 8th Glastonbury. I really didn't want to, but it had really had it's day, and had served me well. I can still remember where I was when I made the decision to scrap the tent - I was in the shed at my parents house. Odd that I can recall that.