Your first Glastonbury

upshitcreek

2 hours ago, Mark H said:

2009 for me. Friends and I caught the National Express from London around 3pm but it all went wrong. Driver ran out of hours and had to stop driving. For some reason they sent another bus, rather than swapping out the driver but the new bus couldn’t fit everyone so my group volunteered to take a taxi from someone near Bristol (I think) at no cost to us. But we didn’t realise that the taxi couldn’t use the bus route so we got stuck in a slow moving craw of traffic and got into the festival around 10pm.

if you mean the first day # you don't know how lucky you were #

I and 50 others were on a Crew Coach from Clapham that also left London about the same time but we went along the A303 but as the driver left to head up to Pilton { heading north } he turned down a unnamed narrow road by mistake and there was no way the Coach could turn right so we were stuck on this narrow road - the coach { this one } was so wide ' we had to knock on all the doors to ask people to move their cars - we ended up West of Glastonbury town { using the road from the M5 and by then there had been a Problem { what we don't know } - when we entered Glastonbury town people were getting off ' going to the Pub for a drink and a meal ' and when they walked back to the coach it had only moved 10 feet ' - As its a crew Coach we could enter red Gate and we reached our crew camp at 3am { so 12 hours rather than 3 } - anyone heading though Glastonbury town were also caught up in it all - some of the houses were letting car drivers in to use their toilet.Two of my Team had never been to Glastonbury before { in the black t-shirts } and they are from Iceland so they thought that it always took 12 hours - I was going on to the top brass about it being crazy going down on the first day and it was for that reason the WBC Coaches now transport all the staff on the Tuesday so we avoid the traffic.

so while you thought you were delayed - you beat us by 5 hours.

never did find out why - there was a crash on the M5 # but we were never on the M5 # and there had been a fire ' somewhere ' - if it was not for the gear we would have been quicker walking from Glastonbury town.

## amazingly on the Monday - we ended on the same coach and it was the same driver and we departed at 6am and he did not get lost on the way back to London.##

glasto-53-1000.jpg.6bcde4ca997d7f9c1a6817666fa0a9a6.jpgglasto-58-1000.thumb.jpg.ecfb363766c13bf08d2bf209d002c993.jpg

My first night at Glastonbury was the Thursday in 2005. Yes, THAT Thursday ?? 

my missus of the time had been to Glastonbury  a few times, she loved it, but as we got together we knew it was something we wanted to do. We drove down on the Thursday, boiling hot, 30 degrees - carried all our stuff for miles, she got a major strop on and sat in the shade (By Bella’s bridge, I always sit there and smile now) while I found somewhere to pop the tent up in Oxlyers. We set up, walked round, I instantly fell in absolute 100% adoration of the place, and we watched The Goonies on a big screen that night where the JP is now. 
went to bed that night, excited about the music and the things we were going to see, and at 2am the rains started. 
And fell. 
And got heavier and heavier. And heavier! 
the tent was a £20 job from tesco, and wasn’t all that waterproof - but as soon as we opened the doors at about 6am we saw a river had opened up about 15 feet from us, washing everything away in its path. It was absolutely apocalyptic. Bless her, she popped out to get me some emergency wellies (not many people need size 12, happily) and we walked around the site like we were inspecting a crime scene. Standing water 4ft deep in places! Absolutely incredible. First band I saw was the Undertones on the pyramid. Been back 8 times since, absolutely hate missing them, but i work it now with Oxfam and I’ll keep going for as long as I’m physically able. 
my home ? (oh for gods sake, I’m crying a bit ???

• Upvote 5

2013 for me.

Decided we wanted to go in early 2012. I took the time to learn about the festival and planned the trip from Buenos Aires. Got tickets in general sale luckily. 
We got a camping combo from cosy campers and picked some more gear in London. Not much though. We traveled through National Express. I'll never forget the first time I saw the site with all its tents. 
Wednesday night, sleeping in a tent for the first time in my adult life was difficult. Neither of us slept much. We kept hearing people screaming as well, for some reason. It turned out to be someone drunk, doing some prank. We thought it was going to be a tough weekend to get through at that time but we couldn't have been more wrong.
On thursday we got our first rain and spent time in what would end up being one of our favourite bars (West Holts). 

On Friday we saw Beady Eye, Haim, walked around the T&C fields, Tame Impala, Seasick Steve, a bit of Chich, and Portishead. Not bad.
On Saturday we spent time in the Green Fields, caught Haim once again at the Park and then headed to the Pyramid. LIstened to some of Elvis Costello's set and then went closer to the stage for Primal Scream. By the time the Stones began, somehow we had ended up much further back than we expected. 

On the Sunday we went to Kenny Rogers, Smashing Pumpkins and Phoenix. I might be forgetting somebody else. 
Phoenix in John Peel stage was one of the best live performances I'd seen. After their set, the stage manager came out to thank the crowd and they played New York New York over the PA. The crowd formed a huge dance circle thingy with arms around each other...don't know what it's called but I'm sure you know what it is. 

We've tried to go to every festival since then which is a bit insane...

On 11/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, eFestivals said:

my first, I can't say I saw many bands. I hid in my bruv's caravan, so didn't pay (have paid every year since).

1986Poster.jpg

This poster is so modern, clean and well-designed compared to what they used for the next 30 years - what happened? Is it because the CND designed it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

My first night at Glastonbury was the Thursday in 2005. Yes, THAT Thursday ?? 

my missus of the time had been to Glastonbury  a few times, she loved it, but as we got together we knew it was something we wanted to do. We drove down on the Thursday, boiling hot, 30 degrees - carried all our stuff for miles, she got a major strop on and sat in the shade (By Bella’s bridge, I always sit there and smile now) while I found somewhere to pop the tent up in Oxlyers. We set up, walked round, I instantly fell in absolute 100% adoration of the place, and we watched The Goonies on a big screen that night where the JP is now. 
went to bed that night, excited about the music and the things we were going to see, and at 2am the rains started. 
And fell. 
And got heavier and heavier. And heavier! 
the tent was a £20 job from tesco, and wasn’t all that waterproof - but as soon as we opened the doors at about 6am we saw a river had opened up about 15 feet from us, washing everything away in its path. It was absolutely apocalyptic. Bless her, she popped out to get me some emergency wellies (not many people need size 12, happily) and we walked around the site like we were inspecting a crime scene. Standing water 4ft deep in places! Absolutely incredible. First band I saw was the Undertones on the pyramid. Been back 8 times since, absolutely hate missing them, but i work it now with Oxfam and I’ll keep going for as long as I’m physically able. 
my home ? (oh for gods sake, I’m crying a bit ???

Lovely post ... (not the crying bit :) ) my friends left the site early that morning to get some waterproofs from the car I think ... but it was quite a long trip to the car as they weren't able to get back on site for several hours due to waist level flooding against the fence ? was it at gate D ? ..... I was also in that field watching the Goonies and my memory of it was I was bloody cold :) 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, circus92 said:

My first Glastonbury hasn’t happened yet - it will in 7 months time ?

In the meantime I am absolutely loving these stories - keep them coming ?

It might be your first but it will most certainly not be your last. It’s one of the great joys of the festival to see the absolute wonder and awe in the eyes of someone who hasn’t been before. Nothing can really prepare you for the experience you are about to have. Also be prepared for the downer as you leave the festival on the Monday, already planning for the next year

Enjoy!! enjoy every minute of it. 

• Like 1

2008 working backstage at the Acoustic Stage crew bar. 

I arrived on site Thursday afternoon and bizarrely was allowed to enter the site and DRIVE my car from Pyramid to Acoustic past the cider bus and all the markets. I felt like a star but also was completely bricking it.

My job was barman by day and sound engineer every night putting around 4 to 6 bands in a three hour window from midnight.

I struggled deeply with the work and festival overload and didn’t manage to get any sleep till Saturday morning and hardly saw anything outside the Acoustic compound all weekend.

A mate had given me a Hot Chip mix CD so I made sure I saw them. I was free for Leonard Cohen but too tired to go. 

I got back home having worked about 60 hours and slept only 10 hours over 4 nights and swore I would never go again.

I haven’t missed one since.

.❤️.?.?.?.?.?.?.

3E2C8DCE-51AA-4BD1-AAA9-A9A806584AD2.thumb.jpeg.59d529e9d301d027899becb4867e58fc.jpeg

Edited by ian the worm
  • Like 2

My first was 2010, and I really did not want to go! I must've had my head buried in the sand for years but i knew nothing about it prior to then. I went as a favour to a mate. I remember being so grumpy in the Tuesday night queue as my mate was mortal and being a lot of a dick. It was so cold that night but so bloody warm the next day. Not having a clue what I was doing, I had a massive suitcase on wheels with all of the drinks in. By the time we got to camp in Michaels mead, I was fit to drop. Camp was set up and we all had a nap, then sat around a camp fire for the rest of the night. I remember the exact moment I fell in love with it, my heart swelled and I got all emotional. Thursday morning sat in the tiniest bit of shade from the wall of Cocktails and Dreams watching all the weird and wonderful walking by. I've been to every one since, and I'll never take my ticket for granted. Thank you Michael for changing my life :victory:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It might be your first but it will most certainly not be your last. It’s one of the great joys of the festival to see the absolute wonder and awe in the eyes of someone who hasn’t been before. Nothing can really prepare you for the experience you are about to have. Also be prepared for the downer as you leave the festival on the Monday, already planning for the next year

Enjoy!! enjoy every minute of it. 

Thanks - have been watching on TV for longer than I can remember.  Never got over before  (kids, life etc!) and decided this year was the one to finally do it. You have all helped paint a picture of how awesome it is, but as you say, it will still probably not prepare me!

2 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

My first was 2010, and I really did not want to go! I must've had my head buried in the sand for years but i knew nothing about it prior to then. I went as a favour to a mate. I remember being so grumpy in the Tuesday night queue as my mate was mortal and being a lot of a dick. It was so cold that night but so bloody warm the next day. Not having a clue what I was doing, I had a massive suitcase on wheels with all of the drinks in. By the time we got to camp in Michaels mead, I was fit to drop. Camp was set up and we all had a nap, then sat around a camp fire for the rest of the night. I remember the exact moment I fell in love with it, my heart swelled and I got all emotional. Thursday morning sat in the tiniest bit of shade from the wall of Cocktails and Dreams watching all the weird and wonderful walking by. I've been to every one since, and I'll never take my ticket for granted. Thank you Michael for changing my life :victory:

Love this - I’m going next year and expecting it to be good.  You went not wanting to go and not expecting much - that really must have blown you mind! ?

12 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Love this - I’m going next year and expecting it to be good.  You went not wanting to go and not expecting much - that really must have blown you mind! ?

It really did!! Circus you can read about it and look at photos and videos but there truly is something magical about the place that you will feel once you arrive. One of my colleagues went for the first time this year and he still can't explain how he feels, he can't find the words. Funny enough my mate no longer goes, where as I fit in as many festivals as i possibly can now.

Another 2009er. All a bit of a blur. Main memory is Neil Young on the Friday, first pyramid headliner. Outstanding set. Stood 2/3rds back, and seeing all the mini fires and flares in the field. Neil and the band took a bow at the end and they stood for a little while just surveying what they could see from the stage. It must have been absolutely magical. It certainly was from my view. Stopped at the cider bus on the way back to the tent, I really thought that this was so unreal, in an amazing way, it’s the best feeling in the world. You can’t possibly convey what it’s like to anyone who hasn’t been. Been back ever since. Bless the ticket gods. 

1 hour ago, Jack The Stripper said:

2015 was my first and only year, have struggled to get tickets since but have them for 2020 and cannot wait!

Overriding memories of simply sitting in a weird makeshift shed chatting absolute guff to lad who claimed he’d flown over the fence to get in.

loved it!

Not as mental as it sounds. A fella flew in over the Park while I was up there for (I think) Mavis Staples using a paramotor. I know security clocked him, but cant remember if he was allowed to stay or not.

@eFestivals might remember - did they let him stay for his efforts Neil? Or was he out on his ear?

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/16/160129m.shtml

11 hours ago, _JohnConnell said:

First Glasto was last year.

I hope to be going every year for the rest of my life.

Looking forward to 2020.

A perfect ambition to have, I regret missing long periods due to family commitments. Wished I had made the effort and took my kids , and frankly cash shortage! It has changed over the years and is very child friendly. Every year when we leave I take a long lingering look at the site just in case it’s our last. That’s why the ticket sale day is so fraught! 

17 hours ago, circus92 said:

My first Glastonbury hasn’t happened yet - it will in 7 months time ?

In the meantime I am absolutely loving these stories - keep them coming ?

Cannot agree more - can't wait to put my story up after the festival!

Last year was the first. Changed my life and general outlook on the world.

Started off with Al Doyle's DJ set in Crows Nest.
Stranger putting me on their shoulders during Tame Impala (favourite band).
Going to see Carl Cox's disco/soul set on Glade for an hour and watching the full set instead.
Seeing Lizzo with one of my mates mates I'd only met for the first time that Wednesday and her becoming one of my favourite people in the world (both Lizzo and the mate).

Will be trying every year for the rest of my life, next year already in the bag.

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Not as mental as it sounds. A fella flew in over the Park while I was up there for (I think) Mavis Staples using a paramotor. I know security clocked him, but cant remember if he was allowed to stay or not.

@eFestivals might remember - did they let him stay for his efforts Neil? Or was he out on his ear?

Ha! I do vaguely remember that story. This lad was definitely not capable of something so audacious.

2014 was my first year. I was immediately hooked, as we all know it’s like nowhere else on Earth. 

My overriding memories of that festival are Imagine Dragons coming on stage caked in mud and my mate and I sharing drinks with 2 guys who didn’t speak a word of English but were clearly there to party as they were on straight whiskey :D 

4 hours ago, Quark said:

He's done it several times now, and been prosecuted/fined for it at least twice.