Your first Glastonbury

upshitcreek

11 hours ago, Smeble said:

2007 was my first

stand outs were Iggy and the stooges, Jon fogerty and a pissed guy stood stuck in the mud with people taking their photos with him. Oh and I notice on the poster some woman by the name of Adele very early on the park stage, didn’t see her but I wonder what happened to her??

Same. Didn’t go back for 8 years :)

Absolute shit show of weather, camped for most of it in a yurt in the greenfields, which was ace. 

Edited by whitehorses

20 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

2019 was my first year, it was definitely very overwhelming, I didn't fell like I did everything I wanted to do, but for next year I'm hoping to spend more time in Arcadia and SE corner

Trust me pal, you never will. Physically impossible. Even when you think you've cracked it you'll suddenly realise you didn't go visit that one food place someone recommended, or you'll discover a band later in the summer and realise they were playing a slot you could have gone to. It's like a massive glorious wonderful game of whack-a-mole.

It's what keeps pulling you back :)

• Upvote 4

Image result for glastonbury festival 1982

Tickets bought a couple of weeks before £8.00 for the weekend from Virgin in Southampton, camped behind the Pyramid, been to a few other festivals before this but was a completely different experience, mad, feral & unlike anything else, had the best time & have been in love ever since. I think Roger Chapman (Family) played on Thursday night on the Pyramid. The lasers were something else back then & the soundsystem tents were very scary ?

2009 my first too. After years of watching it on tv and laughing at those stuck in the mud I finally got to see it for myself.

I was not prepared for it all, was totally blown away the size of it. It was in short a life changing experience. I remember watching Neil Young enjoy himself, dancing to Bruce outside the Mandela Bar as the Pyramid field was rammed. I remember the Shangri-la/Arcadia area being so amazing (in my opinion it was at its best then). Lot of laughs, giggles and general good times. Even blew off Blur to go and see The Peatbog Faeries on the Sunday. I caught the bug, and I caught it bad. Aside from 13 and 14 haven't missed one since.

• Upvote 1

1999 was my first, spent a lot of time at our campground from where we could see the main stage. Having done a few Reading's before this, we didn't explore as much as we should have, the revelation of being able to sit and smoke at your tent whilst watching the mainstage was too tempting. Was with a group of school mates, most of whom i am still great mates with and the best thing for us was sitting around a campfire, smoking drinking and just being together. Good times. 

My favourite act would have been Ash on the main stage when i did manage to peel myself away from the smokes to go and watch them. 

6 hours ago, bexj said:

1994, had done 4 x Readings previous, thought nothing could top Reading. Needless to say I was wrong. 

6f5b49874e1a5a88041e516bf57a868b.jpg

this was my first too.  paid a man a tenner at the fence and in i went.  dont remember too much, Bjork, Blur, Beastie Boys and a truely magnificent show from Orbital,  

13 hours ago, upshitcreek said:

Just trying to think back to my first Glastonbury and couldn't remember so googled the posters to find the line up. The act that stuck in my head where NIN - looking back I can't believe Willie Nelson and David Bowie where playing that year - I'm sure I would have seen them both as have always been a fan, although my 14 year old self might not have been bothered ?. I do remember looking at the "fence" and just seeing a constant stream of people including kids throwing them selves over. A guy walking round with a billboard with "I have absolutely No Acid For Sale".  A truly magical place for a young impressionable lad and I have had the bug ever since. I have since got engaged and had my honeymoon at Glastonbury, this year we're taking our 3 year old daughter and 7 month old son - (who I've yet to meet) I'm sure it will have as much of an impact on my daughter as it did me. Just wish I hadn't indulged as much and maybe I'd have remember more - surely I saw Bowie !?!?! 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c5288f04342c722a02a4ed02e1e6045.jpeg

This was my second Glastonbury. I MISSED Bowie so I could watch Basement Jaxx on the Other Stage (altho I had a great time with my mates I still regret this decision).

13 hours ago, Smeble said:

2007 was my first

stand outs were Iggy and the stooges, Jon fogerty and a pissed guy stood stuck in the mud with people taking their photos with him. Oh and I notice on the poster some woman by the name of Adele very early on the park stage, didn’t see her but I wonder what happened to her??

Same 2007 was my first and we were hooked we were stumbling around in the mud and came across the blockheads the whole place just blew me away there's no feeling like the one when you turn the road in the car en route and you see the festival laid out before you, awe inspiring. The last time we managed tickets was 2013 and I was 6 months into recovering a ruptured brain aneurysm craniotomy and a stroke so for the first time in my life I was sat on an access stage watching the Stones didn't think it could ever get better than that so hoping for an epic year next year ?

1999. Finished my last GCSE early on the Friday morning. Met 2 of my mates and got straight on the bus to the farm. It was incredible. First evening we set up a little campfire near the tents and invited some girls who were in the vicinity...we're still in touch now! That's the great thing about Glasto....anyone can become a friend!!

1999Poster.jpg

2002 for us....waited until April or May to buy the tickets...borrowed a friends VW camper and first sight of the promised land was from that little gap in the hedge near top of Muddy Lane.  It's a sight I see every time but nothing ever compares with that first glimpse.

As a lot of first timers do we spent too much time on the Pyramid....and I look back now regretfully at what we missed.

Which year did the Cider Bus appear?