Your first Glastonbury

upshitcreek

Just trying to think back to my first Glastonbury and couldn't remember so googled the posters to find the line up. The act that stuck in my head where NIN - looking back I can't believe Willie Nelson and David Bowie where playing that year - I'm sure I would have seen them both as have always been a fan, although my 14 year old self might not have been bothered ?. I do remember looking at the "fence" and just seeing a constant stream of people including kids throwing them selves over. A guy walking round with a billboard with "I have absolutely No Acid For Sale".  A truly magical place for a young impressionable lad and I have had the bug ever since. I have since got engaged and had my honeymoon at Glastonbury, this year we're taking our 3 year old daughter and 7 month old son - (who I've yet to meet) I'm sure it will have as much of an impact on my daughter as it did me. Just wish I hadn't indulged as much and maybe I'd have remember more - surely I saw Bowie !?!?! 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c5288f04342c722a02a4ed02e1e6045.jpeg

Edited by upshitcreek

2007 was my first

stand outs were Iggy and the stooges, Jon fogerty and a pissed guy stood stuck in the mud with people taking their photos with him. Oh and I notice on the poster some woman by the name of Adele very early on the park stage, didn’t see her but I wonder what happened to her??

Just now, Smeble said:

2007 was my first

stand outs were Iggy and the stooges, Jon fogerty and a pissed guy stood stuck in the mud with people taking their photos with him. Oh and I notice on the poster some woman by the name of Adele very early on the park stage, didn’t see her but I wonder what happened to her??

You did well to keep going after 2007 ? funny the acts you see down the bill. I remember seeing Ed Sheeran on bbc introducing with a hundred or so others. 

2010 - blinding heat. My only point of reference was reading in 2006 and it clearly got blown away. In hindsight I didn’t really GET the festival that year and combined with the heat, didn’t see even half the site but stand out memories are seeing the site for the first time from the road, almost like seeing a celebrity you’ve seen loss on tv and now all of a sudden they are in front of you. Watching vampire weekend with a cold cider, doing a great set and of course stevie wonder, which blew me away. Also seeing and doing shangri-la for the first time was an experience.

My 10 year anniversary next year.

8 hours ago, lukethekid said:

AAD1E604-FEE2-4414-B278-BC6183EE8ADC.jpeg

This was mine. Parked in a good spot in the CV fields, and wandered round in a dream state. Eels was a highlight, See of Bees, a drunken memory of the Chems and a determination to keep going each time after. Cheers Eavii.

mine was '94 too.

the very first band i ever saw at Glastonbury was Levellers.

i had my final exam on the friday - and me and a friend at the time had a cab booked to pick us up outside the school gates to get us to the station to get us to victoria to get the coach to the festival.

this was back when the coach station was MILES away from the entrance and you had to walk down through the village.

some other people we knew had gotten there earlier and put the tents up - so i literally just had time to get through the gate, dump my bag at the tent and get down (we camped in Big Ground, where we have camped every year since) to the stage for the Levs.

back then i was proper into my squat parties, psy-trance and gabba so 1994 and the rest of the 90's were spent in various levels of fuckedness.

aside from Levellers that year the only other band i actually remember seeing was Back to the Planet.

i saw Johnny Cash, apparently.

needless to say - Glastonbury 1994 was a HUGE moment in my life.

it was fucking brilliant. 

2009.  Bit like @Avalon_Fields with the first view of the site, except I had my brother in law literally dragging me by the arm to show me that first view like a toddler taking his mum to look at his first poo in the toilet on his own. Think he was giggling more than I was.

Absolutely glorious.  Rocking up to a pre-pitched tent in Big Ground (friends working on site early days) and just lying back in the grass with a smoke looking at it all laid out.  Thursday night wander and just walking around with my gob open like a guppy fish.

Bit of the wet stuff early doors on the Friday as I recall, but nothing major.  First act was Golden Silvers in the Park that one of the guys really wanted to see.  Lugging a chair from stage to stage on the first day like some kind of schmo (soon abandoned that at the tent).  Remember spotting all the flyers for the smaller stages n the longdrops, and thinking 3 Daft Monkeys looked interesting.  Ended up spending most of the day wandering on my own just taking it all in. Finally getting to see Specials, playing Ghost Town as the sun was going down.

And finished the weekend with Blur. Might have seen better shows, but I think that remains the single greatest group experience of my life.

Memories......no you've got something in your eye :)

• Upvote 1

was at the very first three day event and it was called Glastonbury Fayre in 1979

Acts included: Peter Gabriel, Steve Hillage, Alex Harvey Band - Attendance: 12,000.  Tickets:  £5.

Sure these days everyone knows there is a Glastonbury Festival but back in 79 - there was no Internet { WWW } - No mention of it on London television and my mates and I had never heard of it ' in London ' - not counting the time people showed up when there was no event there was only two previous events in 1970 and 1971 - I only got roped in as a booker working for god know who asked a mates band to play and we struggled to find Pilton on a normal map - we were told it was close to Shepton Mallet - they hardly had any security at all # anywhere # and certainly no large Teams of stewards and no storage tents. It was rough and ready - most people attending appeared to be locals { say 25 miles }

1979 map - red dot is the entrance - guy in a ' shed ' who was selling tickets - we camped beside our cars - blue dot { and it was common then to camp beside a car }

1984 map - we camped beside our cars - red dot and blue dot was what was called ' Drug alley ' - mainly dealers from Wales

Key year was 1982 - trust me if CND were not involved its likely most of you would have never heard of Glastonbury Festival

I quote ' Michael helped positively towards the peace movement by holding the Festival at Worthy farm to benefit the Mid Somerset CND campaign. Michael had to convince National CND and said that with proper management the Festival could be turned into a profitable venture. Agreement was reached with National CND sending out information in their mailings, handling advance ticket sales and allowing the use of the CND logo. It was up to Michael to provide the money, arrange entertainment and organise the event, liaise with the authorities and organise market stalls etc.'

it was that link up that changed everything as ' it was being advertised all over the UK.' Record shops and CND offices were selling tickets 

Attendance had jumped 50% to 18,000

e3n.thumb.jpg.afb25a22cff5d5ba9e3a1cc553f2e227.jpgGlastonbury-84-site-map.thumb.jpg.6fdbec39ae68dc893e386fcb379e70d9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My first year was 2013. I was going with my cousin and a gang she was loosely affiliated with, only I was arriving Thursday morning by coach and she was arriving late Thursday after finishing work.

So I rock up to Glasto and have to locate where this gang of people I hardly know are based, and honestly one of my first memories is of standing at a junction of walkways by a hedge somewhere in the Dairy Ground, utterly lost, and just a regular punter approaches me and asks if I'm lost and where do I need to go. I explain to him, he points me in the right direction, and before I can even reach my contact with the cousin's group, I literally bump into my oldest best friend who is camping in the next field. 

From that point on it was golden. Highlight was definitely the Stones (I jumped so high in the air when they started playing Tumbing Dice that I actually heard someone behind laugh at me) and Nick Cave but very closely followed by Chic - at the end when everyone just wouldn't stop signing Get Lucky? Damn - and seeing Disclosure at Silver Hayes. 

4 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I literally bump into my oldest best friend 

thats the weird thing about Glastonbury isn't it - in a sea of a million people you end up just "bumping" into someone.

i've lost count of the number of times i have been just wandering around, or standing watching a band, or sitting on a bench and you just turn your head and its like "fuuuuck man i've not seen you in years"!!

More of the same from others... but specifically 2009 memories. Michael Jackson's death. The fact loads of shops had Jackson T-Shirts the day afterwards. Singing Man in the Mirror with about 50 randoms somewhere near the shangri la. 

Getting lost, a lot. (I miss that. I know the site well now. I miss the adventure of that)

d1168ebc-6838-4a3b-b4b5-34b70a0dc676_2048x2048.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

thats the weird thing about Glastonbury isn't it - in a sea of a million people you end up just "bumping" into someone.

i've lost count of the number of times i have been just wandering around, or standing watching a band, or sitting on a bench and you just turn your head and its like "fuuuuck man i've not seen you in years"!!

Or in my case coming out of the middle of a set, absolutely steaming and eyes like pissholes in the snow, and walking slap bang into a work colleague :lol: