Bremer/McCoy (DK)
Cage the Elephant (US)
Cate Le Bon (UK)
Conjurer (UK)
Guiss Guiss Bou Bess (FR/SN)
Hjalmer (DK)
Hugo Helmig (DK)
Lingua Ignota (US)
Lisa Morgenstern & Bulgarian Voices Berlin (DE)
Rapsody (US)
Svalbard (UK)
Weval (NL)
Anansi (SE)
Bette (DK)
Ganger (DK)
Josephin Bovién (DK)
Joyce (DK)
Jung (DK)
Kaaliyah (DK)
Mekdes (DK)
Tessa (DK)

I really like this start and I could consider this for next year. Just a few questions for the experts:

How's the transport? How's the price? I know Denmark is quite expensive. Any tip is welcome.

Thanks  

Edited by alan_ts

Going for my 12. year this time. It is the best festival I've ever tried, so go go go. You will not regret it.

Transport is very easy - It is of course crowded at the start and end, but in between it is easy. Trains go from Copenhagen to Roskilde station where another train transports you to the very heart of the camping area.

It is a cheap festival. I end up using a lot of money because I buy stupid expensive drinks at the festival site and buy all my food at the festival as well. You can bring all the food and alcohol you want to the camping area. You can also bring a water bottle to the festival site - and you can fill it with pure Vodka/Whiskey if you like ?.

At the campsite you can get 24 cold beer for 25 euro or a bottle of liquer with some mixer for 35 euro. My camp get all our beer through this. We think it is worth getting it cold and not having to carry it. 

At the festival ground the prices are more "normal" festival wise. 5 Euro for a beer, 12 euro for a drink. But there's a value for money option as well at the festival site. 10 Euro for a liter of white or rosé wine.  

Meals are 6-13 euro pr. meal. That's where money go ?

It is a young festival and people party like crazy all 8 nights, so if you want your nights sleep go for silent and clean camping!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jonathansoegaard said:

It is a cheap festival. I end up using a lot of money because I buy stupid expensive drinks at the festival site and buy all my food at the festival as well. You can bring all the food and alcohol you want to the camping area. You can also bring a water bottle to the festival site - and you can fill it with pure Vodka/Whiskey if you like ?

Oohh good to know. This is exactly what scares me. I remember some years ago after Sziget I checked my bank account and I realized that I charged 100€ on the festipay at 6am of the last day :)

Thanks a lot for the infos, I hope I can convince my friends ;)

Lineup looks really good. 

17 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

Oohh good to know. This is exactly what scares me. I remember some years ago after Sziget I checked my bank account and I realized that I charged 100€ on the festipay at 6am of the last day :)

Thanks a lot for the infos, I hope I can convince my friends ;)

Lineup looks really good. 

I'm a little underwhelmed myself, but I normally am at this point with only 20% announced. Lots of goodies to come. 

Y'know there's other acts already announced as well, right? 

So anyways, I went this year. It can be done fairly cheap if you plan ahead. I usually had a few drinks in the camping area, and then snuck some into the festival area, usually in a water bottle like the guy above said. But a lot of the time they didn't really check anyway, it was like "What have you got in the bag mate?" - "oh just a jumper and a jacket and stuff" - "okay carry on, have fun".

Food is definitely expensive (and also fooking shite compared to British festivals), so that's probably where most of your money will go. But I'm pretty sure you can rent a fridge, so if there's a group of you going you could just split the cost and put a load of food in there.

I'm pretty sure the festival is all contactless; they have an electronic wristband but I'd recommend getting a TransferWise card if you can. (DM if ya wanna know more)

But seriously it's so much fun. People out there are really friendly, was so easy to start up a conversation with strangers. I think some people hadn't met a British person before and were really excited about it haha. Got plenty of free drinks (and other substances ?) off people just because they liked the way I spoke and how "British" I was.

Another good thing is that all the acts get pretty good set lengths. Usually at least an hour, and you even get some non-headliners that are doing like 90+ mins.

• Upvote 1

But seriously it's so much fun. People out there are really friendly, was so easy to start up a conversation with strangers. I think some people hadn't met a British person before and were really excited about it haha. Got plenty of free drinks (and other substances ?) off people just because they liked the way I spoke and how "British" I was.

Yeah the Danes are really proud of this festival (rightly so IMHO) so they appreciate chatting to us Brits about it. I love the diversity of music, the technical quality of the sound and that most of the staff are volunteers (including security) which helps create a better atmosphere. Also it is not for a profit.

I don't agree that the food is shite tho as some of the stuff in the foodcourt area is really good quality but definitely expensive.

Seventh year in a row for me

• 2 months later...

A bunch of new names announced today

Faith No More (US)
FKA Twigs (UK)

Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals (US)
Angel Olsen (US)
Fatoumata Diawara Feat. Angélique Kidjo & Mayra Andrade (INT)
Kacey Musgraves (US)
Young Thug (US)

Anna Meredith (UK)
Chancha Via Circuito (AR)
Girl In Red (NO)
Heathe (DK)
High On Fire (US)
Lous And The Yakuza (CD)
Lydmor X Corpus (DK)
MC Yallah & Debmaster + MCZO & Duke (INT)
Nyredolk (DK)
OOIOO (JP)
Orm (DK)
Sampa the Great (ZM)
Saveus (DK)
Special Request (UK)
Squid (UK)
Tyler Childers (US)
Youth Code (US)

Amanda Tenfjord (NO)
Faratuben (DK/Ml)
Fieh (NO)
Thaiboy Digital (SE/TH)

7 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why is this thread so small in here? This is one of the biggest festivals in Europe, celebrating its 50the birthday.

And the lineup is looking stellar. Thom, Twigs and Tyler on one day!

Not as many Brits go as much as say 10 years ago. Not as popular with the brits like the big line up  festivals like werchter or mad cool, also does not have the full package(weather, cheap, atmosphere, other activities) of Sziget.

7 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why is this thread so small in here? This is one of the biggest festivals in Europe, celebrating its 50the birthday.

And the lineup is looking stellar. Thom, Twigs and Tyler on one day!

Haha I've wondered that as well. 

I'm going for the 12th time and the line up is shaping up nicely. Anderson gave one of the best concerts I've ever been to in 2018 closing down Roskilde. Looking forward to seeing him giving it another go.

I really like that they do not look back at the 50th birthday. Still presenting tomorrows music :) 

Right now they might lack a little fire at the top of the poster, but with Strokes, Kendrick, Killers and others still around and available it could end up being an amazing line up !

Just now, thetime said:

Not as many Brits go as much as say 10 years ago. Not as popular with the brits like the big line up  festivals like werchter or mad cool, also does not have the full package(weather, cheap, atmosphere, other activities) of Sziget.

Yeah you don't go to Roskilde to get all the big ones touring Europe.

Is Sziget that much cheaper? Not the ticket and at the camping area at Roskilde you can bring in whatever you want in terms of food and drinks. You can even bring in 0,5 L alcohol to the festival sight, so you can really do Roskilde at a budget.

I'm hoping to get to Sziget this year or next (give me a line up please) so I can compare on the atmosphere. Most people do find Roskilde pretty amazing though. The big joker is the weather 😲

8 minutes ago, jonathansoegaard said:

Yeah you don't go to Roskilde to get all the big ones touring Europe.

Is Sziget that much cheaper? Not the ticket and at the camping area at Roskilde you can bring in whatever you want in terms of food and drinks. You can even bring in 0,5 L alcohol to the festival sight, so you can really do Roskilde at a budget.

I find it is, but then I don't usually take my own beer/food to festivals. Roskilde is an amazing festival and has much better line ups than Sziget, its the weather that is the clincher for me. 

Would highly recommend Roskilde though if any one is thinking of it.

So I've had some great times at Roskilde and there are some good names there but come on now. Maybe I'm mistaken and out of touch, but Faith No More, FKA Twigs, and Thom Yorke are not major festival headliners at all. I mean I'm glad they're giving them a boost but to me it just seems like they're struggling with the lineup. Especially when you see that other fests have The Strokes, Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, etc

Edited by Gilgamesh69

Typical eclectic mix of names to look forward to and I am happy we are getting Faith No More, FKA Twigs, Angel Olsen Fatoumata Diawara, Anna Meredith and OOIOO amongst others. I am going to Sziget as well and can't argue it has by far better weather (and DJs) but Roskilde is my favourite festival for the lineup.  

7 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So I've had some great times at Roskilde and there are some good names there but come on now. Maybe I'm mistaken and out of touch, but Faith No More, FKA Twigs, and Thom Yorke are not major festival headliners at all. I mean I'm glad they're giving them a boost but to me it just seems like they're struggling with the lineup. Especially when you see that other fests have The Strokes, Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, etc

I agree! It is a good start, but it needs a stronger top. Still 100 names to go. Normally the headliners are presented alphabetically, but this year Taylor and Tyler is at the top and the 3 names you mention are below, but with the same font size. So even Roskilde acknowledges your point 😄

A lot I want to see in todays package, but I was also left a little malcontent, as I was certain they would throw in The Strokes.

But I've learned to have patience with Roskilde 😄

Rosklide looks like a really awesome festival but unless I am missing something, why is it £250 for lineups that are just awful? The atmosphere and camps look great but it just doesn't add up to me where all the money is going, I know its a charity but surely like £50+ from each ticket is going to charity with the lineups they get for the price?

Just now, gfa said:

Rosklide looks like a really awesome festival but unless I am missing something, why is it £250 for lineups that are just awful? The atmosphere and camps look great but it just doesn't add up to me where all the money is going, I know its a charity but surely like £50+ from each ticket is going to charity with the lineups they get for the price?

The lineups used to be great TBF.

But yeah, it is really overpriced. It doesn't have the production of somewhere like Boomtown, it doesn't have the scenery and beautiful location of somewhere like Green Man, it's not full of other non-music activities like Glastonbury, etc. Plus, considering it's their 50th birthday and it's one of the biggest festivals in Europe, it really is a underwhelming lineup.

Really not sure I get the critique. There are still, what, 100 names left? Roskilde usually has 9-10 headliners, so we're about halfway through on that account. Throw in just one more name like Kendrick Lamar, Strokes or whatever and I'd say you've got more than your money's worth. Saturday is still missing any headliner at all, and Thursday only has Faith No More, who will not be the main draw of that day.

I don't think Friday will have any more headliners, but it'd honestly be weird complaining about Tyler + Thom + FKA (not to mention Anderson .paak) playing within hours of each other.

The metal programme is progressive as hell (Amenra, Conjurer, Svalbard, Lingua Ignota, Old Man Gloom, Orm, etc.), not to mention the older alternative classics like Deftones (who usually still deliver magnificent albums), High on FIre and Faith No More.

The hip-hop is equally stellar (Tyler, Anderson, Pusha T, Young Thug, Sampa, etc.), as is pop and alternative (Taylor, FKA Twigs, Kacey, Angel Olsen, etc.) - and I'm not big on the electronic scene, but I'd say that both Thom Yorke and Mura Masa are pretty big deals.

The sheer magnitude and depth of Roskilde's lineup is absoultely incredible, imo. With 180 acts playing and being a non-profit festival, it's definitely unique. The consistenly hit somewhere between popular and acclaimed acts, who remain relevant today. But having gone there for many years and living close by, I might be biased 😉 I have, however, been to several other festivals (Primavera, Pukkelpop, Outside Lands, Download, Bilbao, Groezrock, etc.), and the only one that can match in terms of quality through-and-through has to be Roadburn - but that's a completely different profile.

I have, however, not been to Glastonbury, which looks like fun. Roskilde surely doesn't have the non-musical aspects of this juggernaut, except for artistic demonstrations and performances, artist talks and various pop-up events.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

The lineups used to be great TBF.

But yeah, it is really overpriced. It doesn't have the production of somewhere like Boomtown, it doesn't have the scenery and beautiful location of somewhere like Green Man, it's not full of other non-music activities like Glastonbury, etc. Plus, considering it's their 50th birthday and it's one of the biggest festivals in Europe, it really is a underwhelming lineup.

I dare you to find one line-up from earlier years that is not top notch 😂

With 100 names missing this year will be no different.

1 hour ago, jonathansoegaard said:

I dare you to find one line-up from earlier years that is not top notch 😂

With 100 names missing this year will be no different.

I guess its just that with most fests the first 100 are big and the last 100 are filler - I didn't really realise half the headliners hadn't been announced. Some of the headliner choices are definitely a bit like what, they seem to just stack up a few sub sized acts on some days (Robyn, Vampire Weekend and Underworld last year for example) then pay for proper headliners (The Cure) on other days. Its just a different method to most other festivals I guess.

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

I guess its just that with most fests the first 100 are big and the last 100 are filler - I didn't really realise half the headliners hadn't been announced. Some of the headliner choices are definitely a bit like what, they seem to just stack up a few sub sized acts on some days (Robyn, Vampire Weekend and Underworld last year for example) then pay for proper headliners (The Cure) on other days. Its just a different method to most other festivals I guess.

Robyn is huge in Denmark, until you know what's big in Denmark its daft to speculate. For example Editors being headliner at Rock Werchter. 

• 4 weeks later...