What if the 50th was the final one?

A lunch time hypothetical.

What if, after 50 years on top, and after what looks like nailing one of their biggest line ups, the Eavii make the announcement to go out with a bang and make G50 the final festival? Reasons being numerous from keeping people wanting more, to wanting to lead the way in the societal change needed to battle climate change.

If this were to happen, the impact on us as fans would be obvious in that we'd have to find a new favourite festival, or retire from fests all together.

What would other impacts be? Would the UK festival scene that Glastonbury helped shape change massively (outside the main competition being gone)? 

Is there a global influence to be considered? 

Where would Bradley Cooper go every year?

etc

I would probably have mad panic attacks leading up to it in wanting to see EVERYTHING and go everywhere 'one last time' try see an act on all my favourite stages and then get there, forget all of it by Thursday night and then Sunday afternoon have a good old sob when someone mentions it. 

OK, sensible answer of sorts. All pure speculation you understand.

I think that some of the existing big names might look to increase capacity to soak up the numbers. Reading/Leeds might even look for a third site, although I have no idea if ghat would ever be viable!

The smaller fests would face a real question over their own identities, as they're probably the ones closest to Glastonbury in terms of ethos and feel. Thing like EOTR, Beautiful Days, Green Man etc might see the opportunity to grow, but it's whether they'd want to do that.

Probably look at more people flying abroad to other summer festivals.

I think the UK festival scene would suffer in a way.  Glastonbury is the only big one that's not dripping in corporate sponsorship and has a real beating social/political heart, even if it's not as strong as it used to be.  Bit of soul would be gone.

Billy Bragg would crumble to dust like the guy at the end of Indiana Jones & Last Crusade.

On the plus side, TNSMT would have their pick of the females picking up guitars :D

Well, some people have already said that they'd be feeling the pressure to do everything and make the most of the 'last ever' Glastonbury, but that's pretty much how I'm approaching this year anyway. Not intent on doing everything at a mad dash, but taking in spots and experiences I haven't seen yet, because as far as I'm concerned this might be the last Glastonbury I ever go to. Whether that's because of the difficulty of getting tickets or, godforbid, life itself having other plans for me.

If Glastonbury were ever to end it would feel like a massive loss to me, as it is a very special place and experience, but I think it's best to treat every Glasto like the potential final one because you just never know.

• Upvote 3

I would expect the short term beneficiaries would be other festivals but I’d predict that would only last a year or two (As there would be unfavourable comparisons to Glastonbury). 

I doubt there would be any significant global effect. Perhaps fewer world music acts touring the UK. 

it’s best not to take the festival for granted though, there’s plenty of risks and uncertainties that may derail things in the long term.

37 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Well, some people have already said that they'd be feeling the pressure to do everything and make the most of the 'last ever' Glastonbury, but that's pretty much how I'm approaching this year anyway. Not intent on doing everything at a mad dash, but taking in spots and experiences I haven't seen yet, because as far as I'm concerned this might be the last Glastonbury I ever go to. Whether that's because of the difficulty of getting tickets or, godforbid, life itself having other plans for me.

If Glastonbury were ever to end it would feel like a massive loss to me, as it is a very special place and experience, but I think it's best to treat every Glasto like the potential final one because you just never know.

Totally in agreement with this. Count yourself lucky every day you're at the festival, and cherish the experiences forever!

• Upvote 1

I think I'd feel more sad for people who've not experienced it to be honest.  And there's no doubt our country would be culturally poorer without it.  It's one of those very British things that we're all very proud of.