Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat.

Crazyfool01

Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat. ? definitive poll :)   

290 members have voted

1. 1. Which is worst ? Extreme Mud ? or Extreme heat ?....... ok these things are all relative :)

• Extreme Mud
    • Extreme Heat

1 hour ago, Mash2 said:

Just curios as a first timer coming from the states....how hot is "extreme heat"?

In the UK extreme is pretty much anything over 30*C, 86*F, which doesn’t seem that hot but for some reason does feel really hot in the UK. Also there’s very little shade at Glastonbury so if there’s no cloud cover the sun is unrelenting. I know we all seem like lightweights but Aussie friends Of mine say 30 feels much more unpleasant in the UK than 40 does back home.

1 hour ago, Mash2 said:

Just curios as a first timer coming from the states....how hot is "extreme heat"?

Extreme heat at Glastonbury is when it’s so hot that the woods at the back of the JP field are crammed like a Tokyo underground train by intoxicated sunburnt British people desperate to find the only bit of shade on site! 

• Upvote 1

I think I had more fun in 2016 than 2019, but more fun than both in 2017.

I was fine in me boots, stomping around the site in 2016, but this year, I spent so much time hydrating, I couldn't get drunk.  I like a nice warm day, but personally, I found the constant heat this year more knackering than the mud.

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Spent more time in 2019 doing absolutely fuck all, not drinking or doing any drugs, not even speaking at some points than any other year I’ve been. I was just praying that the sun would calm down a bit. Was absolute hell on Saturday. Felt like fucking off home. I can’t believe anyone enjoyed that heat. How?

I remember seeing someone wearing trousers and thinking he must be the devil. Absolutely insane.

45 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Extreme heat at Glastonbury is when it’s so hot that the woods at the back of the JP field are crammed like a Tokyo underground train by intoxicated sunburnt British people desperate to find the only bit of shade on site! 

I made sure to get a little UV umbrella. Folded really small so easy to pop in me bag then swap bags at lock ups when it goes dark. 

Shade anywhere I sat down. ? Cos we could sit anywhere! 

23 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I made sure to get a little UV umbrella. Folded really small so easy to pop in me bag then swap bags at lock ups when it goes dark. 

Shade anywhere I sat down. ? Cos we could sit anywhere! 

That takes a degree of planning and I applaud you for that. In the heat of last year I quote happily wandered around in a thin t shirt and shorts forgetting that it can get chilly at night. Result was by the end of tame impala I was shivering and getting no sympathy from Mrs c. Staying in WV didn’t want to go back to the tent as I didn’t want to upset my schedule. So it’s lockups next year! ?

I misread the poll and thought it was asking which would you rather have and clicked extreme heat...now very concerned I have mortally offended the weather gods ?

I was at ‘16 and ‘19 - both were very hard and I missed lots of stuff due to weather both years. On balance though being able to sit or lie down and have dry clothes is better for me. I also really feel the cold so wet clothes is problematic on a rainy year. 

2 hours ago, waynewdk said:

I’d take rain and mud anyday over extreme heat. Once your pissed you don’t really notice the rain or mud, but with the heat, u can’t  even get in your tent or sleep, I’m already warm from alcohol fever, but it if you had to swim from out of your tent that would be a different story

I’ve voted mud for the obvious reasons.

I also felt compelled to vote this way having read a heat person use your instead of you’re. No excuse, nice and hot every time x

Being unable to cool down, feeling like you might pass out & having no energy will always be worse than it being muddy.

Ive never moaned at mud. Never will. It's actually a good laugh at times.

Friday night 2016 is my favourite from anywhere ever following Underworld to Arcadia. It took us ages. Slipping, sliding, shroomed up, laughing to a point I was in pain, doubled over. Watching people slipping. It's up there as the best night out Ive ever had. 

2014, the storm. One of my favourite glastonbury moments.

2016 Sunday, Falling down the hill after Cyndi Lauper. My mate, fucked falling face first into a huge puddle under the tony benn tower. I nearly pissed myself I was laughing so much.

The heat has always been a hinderence. 

The mud has given me some brilliant laughs.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

2016 the mud was fucking horrible. Getting in with all my gear was fucking horrible. I didnt sit once outside of my tent in the morning. I remember the glory and relief when I went in the rabbit hole Sunday night and they had boards I could stand on. 

Dancing was basically impossible. Honestly hated every second of that mud but had a great festival anyways.

Last year, it was hot, but I loved every second of it. I applied sunscreen every hour and didnt burn. Saturday which was the hottest I spent a good few hours in the Glade dancing to Carl Cox and it was gloriously cool in there. Combined with the fact that I had a s'well  reusable water bottle which I was continually filling up with frozen margaritas from one of the bars. They stayed frozen for hours. What an amazing day drunk but definitely was my most expensive festival because of that discovery. 

Bring on the heat. This festival was mg favorite yet. 

Either way if you're prepared you can make the best of it. 

I can’t even remember the mud in 2016 being an issue so I don’t class that as being extreme mud. 2007 was extreme mud but it wasn’t the mud that was the issue it was constant rain and I would say that’s more annoying that mud. Missed last year, first one I’ve missed since 2007 and from what I’ve heard the temperatures that you were getting considering I would have had a 5 month pregnant wife and an 18 month old daughter I dodged a bullet. 

For all I had an amazing tme in 2016, that mud was a killer. Arriving late and pitching, and everywhere you went having to drag your feet out of the stickiness! There were a few occasions where I went back to camp just to have a half hour lie down, and that is not the norm for me. Yes, the heat on the Saturday of this year was ridiculous and there were some bands I missed because of it, it was avoidable. There are shady areas where we could just sit and chill for a few hours. And the sun does eventually go down, leaving you slightly refreshed. Give me the heat and a place to sit any day over mud.

Getting stuck in the mud while tripping balls was terrifying. 

There was an extra 10lbs of mud stuck to my boots the entire weekend. 

Having to pull your wellies on and off every time you needed to make a quick trip to the loo. 

Packing up the tent monday was disgusting. 

I will take 40deg for the entire festival over 2016 mud. I would even go hotter. 

Im getting horrible 2016 flashbacks now. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

In the UK extreme is pretty much anything over 30*C, 86*F, which doesn’t seem that hot but for some reason does feel really hot in the UK. Also there’s very little shade at Glastonbury so if there’s no cloud cover the sun is unrelenting. I know we all seem like lightweights but Aussie friends Of mine say 30 feels much more unpleasant in the UK than 40 does back home.

For me the mud is much worse, but as an Australian living in Singapore I also have to agree with above.

I don’t know if it’s a mental thing as you aren’t expecting the heat. Certainly on the farm the lack of shade or at least it’s availability with 150k people plays a part. The other main thing I remember last year  was the  absence of any breeze which is what often makes a hot day in Oz not that bad.

In 2016 while I had a great time, I was done by Sunday afternoon, and plonked myself on the Pyramid as I was tired of walking. While last year was tough at times, especially by Saturday afternoon, the memories of sitting on the grass at West Holts on Thursday or wandering down to watch Circa Waves in my flip flops are hard to beat.

Also Wellington is one of the great cities. Great food, coffee, secret bars and craft beer. Friendly people and a pub that is situated in what was once a public toilet. I miss going there!

Secondary factors play a big role with this question...i.e. if its hot in the day, but it cools down at night then its much easier to live with than if its hot day and night.   Likewise, its worse if it rains all the time and you can never get dry/clean. Heat with Humidity is terrible and rain combined with cold weather is even worse.

In the end, I think its what you are used to and knowing how to cope.  Was at a festival a couple years ago and it was 34+ for multiple days, humid with almost no shade (other than man made).  Was hard but manageable.  But, that type of weather is not that unusual where I live and it doesn't really bother me.

Knowing that I prefer the heat, I'm sure we are getting rain/mud next year.

58 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I loved it. Genuinely. 

Any hotter this year & I would have been in the medical tent.

My friends still have a laugh everytime they think of me stuck in a mud pit saying "just leave me" 

Eventually I got lifted out by 3 large men. Genuinely think they would have found me there on Monday without the help. There was no way I was stepping out of my wellies like those other lunatics. 

3 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Getting stuck in the mud while tripping balls was terrifying. 

There was an extra 10lbs of mud stuck to my boots the entire weekend. 

Having to pull your wellies on and off every time you needed to make a quick trip to the loo. 

Packing up the tent monday was disgusting. 

I will take 40deg for the entire festival over 2016 mud. I would even go hotter. 

Im getting horrible 2016 flashbacks now. 

Mud is gross but extreme heat is kinda dangerous.

Although I accept that this thread (and if 29 is "extreme") probably just comes down to if you're British or not. 

@FuzzyDunlop is right about mud-based laughs though, and I was absolutely not laughing at around 1pm on Saturday this year. If I had known Saturday was gonna be hotter than Friday with no breeze I may have toned it down a bit on Friday night... Dealing with that shit on a sleep-deprived hangover was way too much.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Mud is gross but extreme heat is kinda dangerous.

Although I accept that this thread (and if 29 is "extreme") probably just comes down to if you're British or not. 

@FuzzyDunlop is right about mud-based laughs though, and I was absolutely not laughing at around 1pm on Saturday this year. If I had known Saturday was gonna be hotter than Friday with no breeze I may have toned it down a bit on Friday night... Dealing with that shit on a sleep-deprived hangover was way too much.

I agree saturday morning was rough. I went to bed around 7am on Friday 'night'. By 9am I was out of the tent laying in the shade of my neighbors tent . By 11am there was no shade left. I went to have a sit in the shade over by the taps. That's when my entire arse (I did have shorts on) and my 2 hands started stinging. A british friend told me later it was stinging nettles, which are apparently very common? 

Once I got sorted in the Glade things really turned around. It felt like they had an AC unit going in there, I couldnt understand it. Didnt leave until it was time to see Lizzo!

4 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I agree saturday morning was rough. I went to bed around 7am on Friday 'night'. By 9am I was out of the tent laying in the shade of my neighbors tent . By 11am there was no shade left. I went to have a sit in the shade over by the taps. That's when my entire arse (I did have shorts on) and my 2 hands started stinging. A british friend told me later it was stinging nettles, which are apparently very common? 

Once I got sorted in the Glade things really turned around. It felt like they had an AC unit going in there, I couldnt understand it. Didnt leave until it was time to see Lizzo!

Aha, you discovered one of those passive aggressive things we British have around to encourage people not used to our ways to leave these shores and never come back.  Stinging nettles, wasps, queues.....Brexit vote was a natural extension.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Aha, you discovered one of those passive aggressive things we British have around to encourage people not used to our ways to leave these shores and never come back.  Stinging nettles, wasps, queues.....Brexit vote was a natural extension.

?

Its too late to get rid of me now. I know all your tricks. I've survived the sting of the nettle and the length of the queue. We've got wasps in Canada so they scare me not. 

Just now, MetaKate said:

?

Its too late to get rid of me now. I know all your tricks. I've survived the sting of the nettle and the length of the queue. We've got wasps in Canada so they scare me not. 

Oh ours aren't scary. They're something far far worse.

They're annoying  ;)

If evolution takes its course I strongly predict the future will see the emergence of the Greater British Tutting Wasp

• Upvote 2