Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat. Which is worst?

Starscreenbass

Give me mud any year. 

This year I basically just couldn't see anyone at all during the daytime as it was fundamentally too hot to be doing anything other than lying down. 

Affected sleeping too as your tent basically became an oven by about 6am, so you couldn't even sleep it off in the afternoon. 

You can dress appropriately for rain/mud, but you can't do anything about the heat. 

• Upvote 1

Having been in 2016 and 2017, I'd take heat over mud. I ached for weeks after 2016 and I had a friend break his ankle slipping down a hill (he was sober). 

Missed loads of acts in 2016 as it was just too much of an effort to traipse round the site and the lack of anywhere to sit down away from camp was hideous. It also means far less colourful costumes which were fantastic in 2017.

That being said, I wasn't there for the Wednesday in 2017 which did sound legitimately awful.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You're saying 'you' like it was a problem for everyone - when it wasnt.

I mean...okay? Weird thing to get defensive about. Yes it is clearly my opinion - that's how internet forums tend to work.

Though extreme heat does make tents uncomfortable to sleep in and no amount of clothing can cool you down, so I'm not really sure where your issue lies with what I've said...

Just now, Bixer said:

I mean...okay? Weird thing to get defensive about. Yes it is clearly my opinion - that's how internet forums tend to work.

Though extreme heat does make tents uncomfortable to sleep in and no amount of clothing can cool you down, so I'm not really sure where your issue lies with what I've said...

Likewise.....okay.  I don't have an issue. Internet forums also work by responding to and debating other's posts.

FWIW the big scout tents in Worthy View stayed pretty cool till late morning.

I think I also disagree with the idea some others have mentioned that not being able to sit down is a con of mud.

The sheer amount of people that thought it sensible to sit down right in front of the pyramid stage in between acts this year was really annoying, made everywhere feel much busier than it needed to as it was often impossible to get across without stepping on hands. 

If mud discourages that then that's surely got to be a pro! 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bixer said:

I think I also disagree with the idea some others have mentioned that not being able to sit down is a con of mud.

The sheer amount of people that thought it sensible to sit down right in front of the pyramid stage in between acts this year was really annoying, made everywhere feel much busier than it needed to as it was often impossible to get across without stepping on hands. 

maybe have a think about those that might need to sit down every so often .... im relatively fit but standing all day does mean sitting down is a welcome relief at times ... it also helps give me some relief and being able to put my bag on the floor by my feet is great too ... there are also older people and people with medical needs that appreciate being able to sit down too :) 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe have a think about those that might need to sit down every so often .... im relatively fit but standing all day does mean sitting down is a welcome relief at times ... it also helps give me some relief and being able to put my bag on the floor by my feet is great too ... there are also older people and people with medical needs that appreciate being able to sit down too :) 

Yeah that's perfectly fair - I'm mainly referring to those right at the front. Sitting is fine of course, but not in the areas in front of the sound desks etc, it just becomes impossible to navigate without treading on hands or bags - move back if you're going to. 

I guess the key is the word 'extreme' in the title - neither is ever going to please everyone! 

2 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Yeah that's perfectly fair - I'm mainly referring to those right at the front. Sitting is fine of course, but not in the areas in front of the sound desks etc, it just becomes impossible to navigate without treading on hands or bags - move back if you're going to. 

I guess the key is the word 'extreme' in the title - neither is ever going to please everyone! 

you have to appreciate how busy it is getting around you and stand when necessary ... even further back :) its about awareness ... ive had my fingers trodden on before but thats as likely to be my fault as anyone trying to get past 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Before Miley Cyrus there were far too many people sat down. Nothing to do with those being unfit / having problems so they need to sit either.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

The thing with the mud is that once it's there, unless it then gets really, really hot, it's there for the weekend. With the sun you always have a hope of a reprieve. And we got one this year. 2019 vs 2007 I'd easily take 2019. But if 2019 was as hot as it was on Friday for all of Saturday and Sunday as well, nah I'd take 2007. It cooled down late Sat afternoon this year. We've not had "extreme sun" yet in my opinion. 

26 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Before Miley Cyrus there were far too many people sat down. Nothing to do with those being unfit / having problems so they need to sit either.

Yeah oddly enough that moment of the weekend was the exact one that prompted my post. The amount of people that had the gall to scowl at me if I accidentally trod on their bag when they'd just casually strewn it beside them as if they were at a picnic - though I will concede the further through I got, the less careful I was with placement of my feet shall we say. 

I also think that was primarily an error in scheduling. Having Miley Cyrus and Kylie in a row was always going to attract bigger crowds than the Pyramid can realistically handle, they should've put someone completely different in between to encourage people to leave for a bit. 

Prefer heat. I drink more booze and can sit down. I’m pretty tolerant of warm weather due to constantly being on holiday. I don’t have to wear wellies all day, that is the dream.

Mud knackers me out & makes me think “f**k walking to Smaller tents etc, I’ll just stay here with lazy mates & watch whatever is on next on Pyramid/Other” which is usually rubbish. The alcohol intake thus decreases in quantity and quality. 2016 wasn’t too bad, I found first few days of 2011 before the sun came out mid day Saturday hard going. Sunday it had dried up!

I really like being able to sit down, especially for larger bands I’m checking out & I can have a sit down and a pint or two.

2016 was the worst,” says Adrian. Adrian is operations director. “2016 was an extreme challenge.” So much rain fell in the preceding days that the Eavises had to warn people to delay their arrival. Michael Eavis said afterwards it was the worst weather they’d had in the festival’s entire 46-year history – the place was a treacherous, slippery swamp. I saw people sliding down liquid hills as if they were skiing. That year was an endurance.

“I’ve never had so many people in tears in my office,” Eavis recalls. “The beefiest security guards, they’d walk in and just weep. There were very strong suggestions that we pull the entire festival. The roads were blocked, we couldn’t get people on or off site …”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-goes-behind-the-scenes-at-glastonbury-7sckjg86l

Doesn't happen just because the sun comes out.

1 hour ago, Bixer said:

Agreed! Trying to find my friends at The Killers when everyone was sitting on the ground was a fucking nightmare. It wasnt even hot at that time!!! I sacked it off and went elsewhere...which is kind of what I wanted to do in the first place so maybe it wasn't so bad after all....

Having done extreme heat (2010) and one of the worst years ever for mud (2016) heat is easily preferable to mud. The massive delays getting onto the farm alone for mud year are enough to make it a non-question. If we just consider logistics once on the farm it's a bit more even, but the lack of sitting down not on scatty bags you're carrying around purely for that purpose makes mud so much worse still.

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2016 was the worst,” says Adrian. Adrian is operations director. “2016 was an extreme challenge.” So much rain fell in the preceding days that the Eavises had to warn people to delay their arrival. Michael Eavis said afterwards it was the worst weather they’d had in the festival’s entire 46-year history – the place was a treacherous, slippery swamp. I saw people sliding down liquid hills as if they were skiing. That year was an endurance.

“I’ve never had so many people in tears in my office,” Eavis recalls. “The beefiest security guards, they’d walk in and just weep. There were very strong suggestions that we pull the entire festival. The roads were blocked, we couldn’t get people on or off site …”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-goes-behind-the-scenes-at-glastonbury-7sckjg86l

Doesn't happen just because the sun comes out.

No, it just makes people ill.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scorching-glastonbury-weather-sees-dozens-17273301

"The South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust told Mirror Online: "SWASFT paramedic teams have treated 79 patients in the past two days at Glastonbury -  mostly a mixture of medical and heat related cases."

Mud 1000% worse. You can't sit anywhere, you are constantly wet and cold, need so many layers, take forever to get anywhere, slips and trips and twisted ankles are a real risk.

Heat you can deal with - a good hat, stay suncreamed and hydrated and all is fine!