Gilgamesh69

Wide Awake Festival

I noticed they announced one stage lineup the other day 

and that article confirms Black Midi for the main stage, presumably subbing. I wonder if this is going to be one of those situations where most of the stages wind down before the main headliner? 

• Upvote 1

I've made a playlist for this, with up to 5 songs per act, as far as poss the songs featuring most often in recent setlists (like the big Glasto one). You already know there's loads of great stuff on there, but really, there's more:

Wide Awake Festival 2020

Beyond the headline acts on the poster, the rest are in rough order of popularity based on Spotify listeners (UK where poss).

On 2/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, the wonderwhy said:

82906BF9-1F01-455D-92A5-9EC088B263B6.png

On this poster Scalping are on the lineup, but on the Facebook event poster in the cover photo and the website they don't seem to be listed... assuming this means they are no longer playing, which would be a shame as I'd like to catch them. Mind you clashes are going to be brutal at this festival aren't they!

Also not sure if anyone has caught this, but it is awesome :)

Edited by 87 BEANS
Video link did not embed

2 hours ago, 87 BEANS said:

On this poster Scalping are on the lineup, but on the Facebook event poster in the cover photo and the website they don't seem to be listed... assuming this means they are no longer playing, which would be a shame as I'd like to catch them. Mind you clashes are going to be brutal at this festival aren't they!

That would be a shame, but as you say we're going to be spoilt for choice! I'm hoping gigs will still be holding out next week as I'm due to be seeing them next Thursday and it's been a long time coming - they're the final '2019' act for me that I'm still desperate to see.

Bought tickets for this yesterday. Can’t wait!

Looking forward to seeing Black Midi, Snapped Ankles and BCNR again but acts I’m most excited to see for the first time are: Squid, Girl Band, the Comet is Coming, Automatic, Crack Cloud, The Murder Capital, Drab Majesty, Boy Harsher, Dream Wife and Marie Davidson. So much quality! 

Keep meaning to listen to Beak> as have heard great things. 

Will be really interesting to see how the Clashfinder looks. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I saw them at Green Man a couple of years back, they're much better live than on record. 

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Bought tickets for this yesterday. Can’t wait!

Looking forward to seeing Black Midi, Snapped Ankles and BCNR again but acts I’m most excited to see for the first time are: Squid, Girl Band, the Comet is Coming, Automatic, Crack Cloud, The Murder Capital, Drab Majesty, Boy Harsher, Dream Wife and Marie Davidson. So much quality! 

Will be really interesting to see how the Clashfinder looks. 

Girl Band and Crack Cloud are both exceptional live. Murder Capital, Beak, Squid and Dream Wife are all good live bands too. Girl Band really thrive in small, dark, intense venues so hopefully wherever they play is something like that. 

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I went to Bedford Esquires to see them a few months back and bumped into people from Brighton, Birmingham, Norwich and Reading all looking for the venue. I think that kind of loyalty from fans gives a clue to the immensity of their somehow simultaneously self-deprecating and life-affirming live show.

This line-up really is phenomenal! The only negative is that all of these bands are on on one day and not split over 3! 

Yup praying that GB are on in the dark, they're second from top on their stage so will have to be a tent I imagine

5 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

I'd say Murder Capital are a bit more than good live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sme7OPcu6vs

And whole I'm here, the same goes for Squid as well.

Yeah fair enough, I've seen both bands 3 times. They're very competent live but I think Crack Cloud and Girl Band are a step above, both on record and live. 

6 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Girl Band and Crack Cloud are both exceptional live. Murder Capital, Beak, Squid and Dream Wife are all good live bands too. Girl Band really thrive in small, dark, intense venues so hopefully wherever they play is something like that. 

Good to know!!

Crack Cloud have a very interesting story behind them it seems - there’s a great Quietus article/interview on them for anyone that’s interested. https://thequietus.com/articles/26913-crack-cloud-interview-2019

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Good to know!!

Crack Cloud have a very interesting story behind them it seems - there’s a great Quietus article/interview on them for anyone that’s interested. https://thequietus.com/articles/26913-crack-cloud-interview-2019

Interesting, thanks. They complain that people are always associating them with drugs, after they named themselves 'Crack Cloud'??

June 5th? Doesn't feel as if this will happen on that date. Given most the bands are UK based, feels like it could maybe move to September easy enough, perhaps? Assuming the festivals they share the weekend with can do the same.

Such a shame for what was looking like a great first year.

Edited by pedrogooch

A real shame for their first year. Local busybody groups made it hell for Field Day when they used Brockwell Park and have been vocal about not wanting this or Cross the Tracks. Feel rescheduling will be a struggle against that.

Edited by SalviaPlath

Drums fingers. I suppose they can wait longer than most as it’s a festival with mostly smaller UK bands. When the inevitable arrives hope it’s a postponement rather than a cancellation, it’s the only festival I’ve bought a ticket to so far this summer (although really hoping for something in late August/September now)