Gilgamesh69

Wide Awake Festival

where are you getting your "strong rumours" for this festival from!?

Just now, lessthanwill1 said:

Fantastic additions. More to come as well or is that it now?

Hard to tell. As its new I'd guess they've pumped all the major names out early so if anything gets added it'll be local bands. 

Gonna be clash central. 

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

Gonna be clash central. 

Absolutely. If I can see Black Midi, BCNR, Squid, Snapped Ankles, The Comet is Coming, Crack Cloud, The Murder Capital, Girl Band, Scalping, Drab Majesty, Boy Harsher, Marie Davidson, Lazarus Kane and A Certain Ratio all in one day for £30 or so it will be one of the best days ever!

The first two words on that poster should read "Metronomy? Shame!"

Everything about this looks great....apart from Metronomy for me. As, for me personally, I find them as dull as a beige sofa in a beige room.

This is amazing! Glad that I grabbed an early ticket for this. Very pleased with the additions of Scalping and Beak> in particular. 

Excited for this and hope to see it succeed. Reminds me of the eclecticism of old field day lineups before their booking policy veered largely towards the more po-faced end of electronic music.

Looking a lot like the EOTR 2019 undercard (no bad thing, mind)

52 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

Excited for this and hope to see it succeed. Reminds me of the eclecticism of old field day lineups before their booking policy veered largely towards the more po-faced end of electronic music.

Looks like it's by one of the co-founders of Field Day, so that makes sense!

There is a lot to like about this other then its during a very congested part of the year gig/festival wise for me. It's not full of names I desperately want to see but lots of people I know I would enjoy. The thing is many will appear on other festival line ups, I may wait a while before deciding do I really want a ticket. I just wish it was on some other day in the summer when I don't have as much on.

Today’s announcement just adds to an already impressive line up - it’s now at the point where I’ve no idea how I’ll fit seeing them all in one day. However as others have said there’s a strong EOTR crossover and I’ve got ticket for that as well so can take it at a relaxed pace. 

Hell of a good line up for the first year though, can’t wait 

8 hours ago, SalviaPlath said:

100% agree with this.  I went to Field Day 5 or 6 times and really used to look forward to a early summer day of great music in Victoria Park, and although I've been to and enjoyed a day at APE 2 or 3 times, it just doesn't have the same feel to it that Field Day had. Got my ticket for this a while ago, and here's hoping that what we get in Brockwell Park has a similar vibe to what we used to get in Victoria Park.

• Like 1

I'm coming back on here for the second time today simply to post about how good this lineup is.

Very well played to the organisers and hope it becomes a regular fixture.

I'm actually quite sad that I'll be missing out on this as I'll be at Primavera Sound. Honestly, based on overall quality and percentages of acts I'd like to see, this is probably one of the best lineups I've seen this year. Would rather have this then a fest that spends millions on a big name and then the undercard is filled with some shitty DJs lmao

16 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Honestly, based on overall quality and percentages of acts I'd like to see, this is probably one of the best lineups I've seen this year. Would rather have this then a fest that spends millions on a big name and then the undercard is filled with some shitty DJs lmao

Yeah, I'm of a similar opinion. It's actually really amazing to have a lineup as tight as this for forty quid – it doesn't feel like a festival that trying to rapidly expand, or be too ambitious, it's just a solid little well curated lineup. I think it says a lot about the current festival landscape where that actually feels really refreshing and thrilling.

I can't see it selling more than a couple of thousand tickets but maybe this sort of thing is exactly what London in particular needs right now.

Edited by jannybruck

Ticket lifted. It’s pretty much £40 a pop now all in but still looks good value for money.

Agree it does feel like those early Field Day line ups where you had the EYOE stage, Shacklewell Arms stage etc.

I’ve been so underwhelmed with the blandness of the festival line ups announced so far, I’m just pleased I’ve found one that looks interesting!

On 2/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, Pateen said:

Serious amount of acts.

How many stages?

It's never been on before so can't be sure.

Mighty Hoopla, which ran on the same site on the Saturday last year and will again this year, had 2 main stages and 3 smaller ones, so that's what I'm expecting, more or less.

18 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Recent Rough Trade article gives some more info.

https://blog.roughtrade.com/wide-awake/

Interesting snippet below!

E5523FE2-7CAF-42EE-A1F7-DE907461DE99.jpeg

Liking this festival more and more! Can we have mandatory arsehole trapdoors installed at all venues ASAP, please? 😛