Wide Awake Festival

Gilgamesh69

22 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Loved this!

Organisation was flawless. The curry I had was the best I've had at a festival outside of Glastonbury. Bands were all excellent, highlight was Black Country, New Road. There was lots and lots of talking, but the sound was excellent so didn't bother me too much. 

Yes I can't fault the festival itself, it was great all round. Seemed like a good amount of toilets/bars/food stalls. 

Musical highlight for me were Kikagaku Moyo, who never fail to put on an amazing set. 

Mandrake Handshake were fun as well. 

Edited by Sean1234321

Finally back. Overall it was a great day. Pretty much everyone I wanted to see blew it out of the park. Highlights included Lynks, Black Midi and Mandrake Handshake. Only dud for me was BC,NR who were in my top three must sees so that was dissapointing, oh well. 

The sound bleed between the big tent and other big outdoor stage was however shockingly bad. To the point both Dry Cleaning and Porridge Radio were unlistenable. 

Regarding the people who maybe need to learn to handle their drink there was certainly more than usual and I think the drug dogs might need to go back on probation. I'm more than happy for people to drink and I'm very drug friendly but some people clearly needed to learn how to control themselves.

Overall though, great day. For £40 I was more than happy with the quality of the acts and got to see some people I've been hoping to see for years.

My big hope for next year (if there is one) is that they'll space the stages out a bit more. 

Back home now. Overall I thought it was an excellent day, only criticism I’d have is the sound bleed between stages. Dry Cleaning were impossible to hear against the sound from the Bad Vibrations stage. Otherwise no real complaints.

Highlights were Porridge Radio, Lynks and Self Esteem.

Excellent day. Ended up seeing (at least some of) 15 bands. SLIFT was the highlight for me. I feel like that was the set i've been waiting all of lockdown to see.

My only criticisms have already been said, in that it was impossible to hear anything on the Bad Vibrations tent and Squid performed one of the most battling main stage festival performances i've ever seen. Just play Paddling. It's not that hard...

Also, I did not appreciate the Snapped Ankles and Black Country, New Road clash. It was physically painful moving myself away from Snapped Ankles.

Edited by Lunabella

One thing I will say about Squid is I was very happy they played The Cleaner! That was a nice surprise but yeah that 10/15 minute dip was bad. I think that was my problem with BC,NR. A lot of it just felt like half finished jams in the place of Athens, France and Sunglasses.

Was very excited to hear Black Midi play BMBMBM, they've not played that in a hot minute so it was a treat. 

I agree with  the comments here - generally a great day with plenty of toilets/bars (nice selection craft beers) and I'll be there next year. The sound was good but sound bleed was a big problem, particularly for Dry Cleaning. People talking didn't spoil my enjoyment in contrast to All Points East on Monday. Like the earlier poster I also hate the throwing of cups/cans etc and I remember Talbot calling out this stupid practise at an Idles gig (think it was at IOW) and it worked for the rest of that gig! At least it's not bottles of piss like in the good (bad) old days at Reading Festival!

It was great to have the brewery stalls there, I particularly liked Brick and Bullfinch's offerings. Some big queues across the day but I don't think I waited more than about 15mins. Six quid plus seemed a bit much but I paid that for 330ml can at Maiden Voyage other week so comparatively this was very good value. 

I loved Kokororko, Black Midi and Lazarus Kane. Also enjoyed A Certain Ratio, Goat Girl, White Flowers, PVA and Mauskovic Dance Band. My only let downs were Squid, who I shouldn't have left ACR early for, and BCNR. Squid wasted a big receptive crowd with a really indulgent performance. Didn't find BCNR very engaging at all despite loving the record and sense by amount of talking and crowd deserting mid set that others felt same. 

Sound bleed was definitely an issue and their communications could be improved but otherwise very enjoyable day. I got hit by a can that someone threw during Black Midi which was irritating rather than painful. Really wish people wouldn't do this. 

Lazarus Kane and The Mauskovic Dance Band were great.  Gave up on Porridge Radio quite quickly, partly due to the sound and partly to be at the front for squid. Squid were a mixed bag - dipped a little when they seemed to just jam for ages which was a bit rubbish for a festival set but Narrator and The Cleaner were brilliant.  Saw a bit of Dry Cleaning but wasn’t that impressed.  Really disappointed with BCNR, found them incredibly boring sadly.  Crack Cloud were fantastic and definitely the highlight for me, along with Self Esteem afterwards which was very emotional. 

Loads of food and drinks options which was great and was amazing to be back in that environment.

Covid checks were rubbish just a token glance at my phone, which was disappointing. 

Had a great day, it was so good to be back at a festival after what seems like ages. Highlights for me included Lazarus Kane, Idles, Dry Cleaning (was down the front so didn't experience any sound bleed issues), Snapped Ankles were next level, Crack Cloud and Daniel Avery. Beer selection was a lot better than I expected lots of folk seemed unaware of the craft beer section (I must have had 10 people asking me where I got my beer from..!). Hopefully it returns in 2022 

Overall very pleased. Had to leave early as Mrs S wasn’t feeling well. 

Not much to add that isn’t above. Had no sound issues for Dry Cleaning. BCNR were a let down.

A world apart from All Points East last week. Better food, much better drinks.  Much more enjoyable with a five points. Very likely to be back next year regardless of lineup, whereas it’ll take a day of Nick Cave proportions to get me back to APE.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Covid checks were rubbish just a token glance at my phone, which was disappointing. 

Same at all festivals/gigs since it all opened up. None of these places have relevant scanners to validate the QR code, I don’t even think there is a system in place at all that a scanner would even work with. 

Honesty policies everywhere.

Had a lovely day; only marred by missing Shame as had a bit too much to drink.

Sound bleed didn't seem to much of a problem depending where u stood. We were on the side of the Moth tent away from the other one, which helped.

Didn't see as much as planned but what I did was all excellent (Self Esteem, BM, Lynxs, Dry Cleaning, White Flowers, Idles, Regressive Left) even thought BCNR were great despite playing quite a few new songs (although I am already a huge fan).

Found litter quite annoying as there were plenty of bins to put cans in. People just being lazy.

Fingers crossed it happens again next year.

I thought it was really well run, especially in challenging circumstances. Toilets, bar, food, even the sound was great (seems to be a few complaints on noise, but I didn't notice much from where I was). 

Imagine, like most events at the moment, drop-off/no shows are around 30% or so, so might feel a lot of busier next year. Felt it was about just right yesterday.

A Certain Ratio, Snapped Ankles and SLIFT the highlights for me! Squid and Mandrake Handshake were a bit disappointing. Goat Girl too. Should've swapped their stage with Snapped Ankles. KOKOROKO were decent too. Enjoyed them on record more, but they and the crowd seemed to be having fun.

Edited by pedrogooch

Yeah, the can throwing was a bit of a weird one. Wouldn't get that at a field day crowd etc, didn't really think any of the bands had that fanbase but there you go. 

Lena Willikens going IN at 4pm was a highlight - flew by. Crack Cloud and Self Esteem played the same sets as at GM but both still excellent, especially the former who seemed very up for it. Couldn't hear Kikagaku Moyo cause of sound bleed which was a shame. BCNR were... fine. Worst I've seen them by some distance. 

Just back (Bristol) from the weekend in London. Not a bad start to hopefully a continuing festival although the sound was far from incredible on every stage but the Windmill.

Mandy, Indiana when I got there were really not happy with their levels and sadly it looked like The Murder Capital had to cut a few songs due to a slack sound man, with the lead-singer looking like he might kill him. Shame really as I thought they would be the new ones premiered on Thursday.

And the pint system was a shambles

• 2 weeks later...