Gilgamesh69

Wide Awake Festival

New festival in Brockwell Park, on Friday 5th June. "Wide Awake, is a festival for music fans looking for something different. Expect leftfield Indie, Post Punk, Electronica, Techno, Jazz and more from an array of artists you won’t find anywhere else at a festival in London."

unnamed.png

looks RIGHT up my alley! SO.....do i/we get tickets now or wait for the (possibly) inevitable freebies that will be knocking around nearer the time....

To be honest, in normal times, at only £27.50 a pop, for that quality a line up, its a no brainer. However....daughters need xmas pressies.....

Yeah, definitely interested in this. Looks very interesting, and a decent price too.

What have events at Brockwell Park been like before? Is it OK for transport links? I'll be coming up from Kent, so probably change at Bromley South and head to Herne Hill.

19 minutes ago, retromoz said:

looks RIGHT up my alley! SO.....do i/we get tickets now or wait for the (possibly) inevitable freebies that will be knocking around nearer the time....

To be honest, in normal times, at only £27.50 a pop, for that quality a line up, its a no brainer. However....daughters need xmas pressies.....

I'd say go for it. £27.50 is cheap enough, and it's supporting smaller acts, rather than a bunch of millionaires

• Upvote 1

Few interesting bits:

>"We've got the park for five years, so we're hoping to expand to two days in 2021."

>"there's a LOT more to come."

>"And stay tuned, we've got some surprises in store before the summer."

18 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Ah sod it. All booked. No way I'm getting any mates along to this, I'll go alone.

Going alone can be great fun; means no arguments, about who to see, where to stand, what to eat etc haha

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Going alone can be great fun; means no arguments, about who to see, where to stand, what to eat etc haha

Yep. I did it for the Aphex Twin year of Field Day and had a blast.

Yeah this looks absolute belter. Some of my favourite records of the last few years. Going to see how strong Primavera Sound looks before committing to this though.

6 hours ago, shoebox said:

What have events at Brockwell Park been like before?

Only big one AFAIK was Field Day last year, and that didn't go down with the locals so they moved for this year: http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2018/10/field-day-festival-pulls-out-of-brockwell-park-for-2019-with-organisers-not-applying-to-lambeth-council-for-a-licence/

It'll be interesting to see what they've done to get the locals on board this time. Probably a smaller event, less space and less people.

12 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

It'll be interesting to see what they've done to get the locals on board this time. Probably a smaller event, less space and less people.

They mentioned that they'll be sharing it with Cross the Tracks and Mighty Hoopla

I've got a feeling that King Gizzard might headline ngl

Booked. Rude not to at that price really.

7 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I've got a feeling that King Gizzard might headline ngl

eh, why's that?

13 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Only big one AFAIK was Field Day last year, and that didn't go down with the locals

“Field Day? Who is Field Day? My name is Wide Awake Festival”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfPlNPYi1E9KGeIPFA8ir

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is the same day as day 1 of Junction 2 which also looks fantastic. Will be interesting to see what electronic acts Wide Awake can book - Daniel Avery is a good start I guess.

Will choose this over Junction 2 though I think. 

18 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Lena Willikens is a good start I guess.

FTFY

• Upvote 1

Just booked for this. Looks like a very solid first announcement!

I read that the organisers are some of the people originally involved in Field Day (before they got booted out of VP by APE). Does anyone have any more info on that?

So I've been listening to more of Girl Band today beyond last year's excellent album and I came across their cover of Blawan's "Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage" on the Early Years EP.

Jaw-dropping stuff! And after looking at some of their recent setlists, it looks like they play it live as well! See you down at the front!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Metronomy headlining (we knew that anyway thought right?) 

They are? Didn't even know they were playing

19 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

They are? Didn't even know they were playing

The video they've posted about the announcement has Metronomy on it and there's been a pretty strong rumour around they're the headliners...